To re barrel of not...

tyfo

This is my current dellima. I have a Winchester mod 70 in 300 weatherby that I really enjoy shooting, but it is about time for a new barrel. I also have a brand new savage 116 stainless laminate that is factory new that has never been shot and has pillars installed and fully bedded in 300 rum. I am either going to sell the Winchester to fund some other project or hunt and start shooting the rum, or I am going to sell the rum and fund a re barrel in some 30 caliber magnum. I am set up for reloading for either one so that doesn't play a part. I guess what it comes down to is should I shoot the prettiest savage I've ever seen (I know it's an oxy moron) that is all set up and most likely a very accurate gun in a very deadly long range cartridge and have another elk tag or should I buy another barrel and wait to shoot a silky smooth model 70 that will be very accurate in a cartridge of my choice (maybe a 30 nosler)? Thanks in advance.

The two cartridges are so similar in performance, it's a wash. Keep the rifle that best matches your hunting style. You probably don't need to rifles that fill the same niche. If they fill the same niche sell the Savage as you seem to know the model 70 and enjoy shooting it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If the the Winchester is CRf I'd chamber it to 30 Nosler. If it's not I'd sell both!gun):):rolleyes:

The Winnie is a stainless classic so yes it is crf. I think my issue is that I've had this rum sitting here for a while waiting for the day to use it when I needed a big 30 cal. Now that time has come and I really want to shoot it but I think it has more re sale value of its been shot. I might just shoot it and see if I love it. If not it might have to go for a little bit less money. The 30 nosler is appealing too since I can seat bullets way out with my wyatts box on the Winnie. The 6.5 weatherby did cross my mind but then I would have another dilemma between my 7mm weatherby mk IV.

IIWY, I'd stay with .300 WBTY (or one of the improved variants) with 26"+ 1:9" or faster barrel and take advantage of the heavy high BC bullet offerings, i.e., 230 Berger.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.