To re-barrel or not?

Bbear

I have a 700 BDL with custom wood stock in 25-06. The rifle started life as a pawn shop rescue but round count on this one is over 3000 rounds that I've put through it.
Right now I am chasing the lands. My loaded rounds with the 110 AB are 3.25" clto. Cartridge length to ogive is 3.45 so I'm sitting .2 off the lands.
Accuracy is good for a hunting rifle, 5 shots under an inch, but I'm thinking I'm about at the end of 'the chase'.
The rifle has sentimental value, it was one I gave my Dad many years back and after he passed I inherited it, so, it will stay a 25-06 if I do re-barrel.
My question is, would you re-barrel it in the next 250-500 rounds or just keep chasing until the bullet will no longer stay in the case or accuracy drops to nothing?

I would chase the lands as long as accuracy holds, but in the mean time I'd be looking for an identical factory barrel to replace it, that is if its original design is significant to you. Otherwise I'd figure out what barrel I want to put on it, it'll take a few months to get plus smithing. Might as well have the barrel on deck so to speak.

Bbear,

...I'd be looking for an identical factory barrel to replace it...

Personally, I would never consider re-barreling with another factory barrel. There are far too many excellent custom barrel makers who will match your contour with some even able to thread and chamber when you want to let go of the rifle to get the work done. Or just order to the matching contour then provide it to your gunsmith for threading and chambering.

Regards.

I was leaning towards the re-barrel. Maybe put another inch or two longer. I've had real good luck with Pac-nor.
I appreciate the input and suggestions. I'll keep chasing for a bit longer.

I was leaning towards the re-barrel. Maybe put another inch or two longer. I've had real good luck with Pac-nor.

I'd keep chasing it for now, but like Ohio said, when accuracy starts dropping off, is when it's time to rebarrel. I have heard good things about Pac-Nor. Bartlein is also a phenomenal barrel, along with Krieger and Hart.

Personal opinion, 26" barrel for a .25-06, being that it has such a small bore diameter vs case capacity. The longer the barrel, the more efficient it is, and the more complete burn you get. Also, if you want to get some better accuracy while still being portable for hunting, a 26" fluted Sendero contour barrel would be ideal for the .25-06. I love my heavy varmint .25-06 AI. It's the smoothest shooting rifle I own.

I think regardless of which direction on the barrel you go, your dad would just be happy to see you keeping the rifle itself (action) and continuing to make good use of it, as barrels are the expendable part of a rifle.

I didn't know how much you wanted to keep it original, perhaps if it had open sights on it or what not.

I have a 700 BDL with custom wood stock in 25-06. The rifle started life as a pawn shop rescue but round count on this one is over 3000 rounds that I've put through it.
Right now I am chasing the lands. My loaded rounds with the 110 AB are 3.25" clto. Cartridge length to ogive is 3.45 so I'm sitting .2 off the lands.
Accuracy is good for a hunting rifle, 5 shots under an inch, but I'm thinking I'm about at the end of 'the chase'.
The rifle has sentimental value, it was one I gave my Dad many years back and after he passed I inherited it, so, it will stay a 25-06 if I do re-barrel.
My question is, would you re-barrel it in the next 250-500 rounds or just keep chasing until the bullet will no longer stay in the case or accuracy drops to nothing?
I'd shoot it till it no longer holds MOA and then rebarrel.

It's a hunting rifle and I take it not one you use for particularly long range long range work (600yds and beyond) so even 2 MOA puts a bullet in the bread box as long as you have good dope and do your part.

If you're shooting varmints and predators rather than deer and elk at 600 yards it's a world of difference.

Keep in mind that when you do rebarrel it, there's no real guarantee it's going to shoot any better than what you have now.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts