Re-barrel 7STW to 7mag?

Supertrucker

My rifle currently is a customized Remington 700 Sendero in 7STW. I've done some upgrades to it. I've got roughly 1000 rounds through it over a 13 year span. Accuracy is 3/4" with the Berger 168's. I'm starting to think re-barrel, with round count and the wait for a new barrel.

With the longer STW case it seems throating a new barrel would be difficult. My mag box is just a hair longer than 3.600" . Would going to a 7mag with the shorter case be a better way to go? I would probably go with a Heavy Varmint ,fluted and finished at 28".

I cannot find fault with your plan. I have a 7 STW and am currently building a 7 Rem Mag. I understand your idea.

I agree with you and the limited mag length. You could talk to Wyatts and get a longer magazine to help with the STW situation or go with the 7 Rem Mag. There are advantages to both directions. More power, more recoil but shorter barrel life with the STW and of course the opposite with all issues with the 7 Rem Mag.

If you make a 7 Rem Mag you might consider getting a faster twist to stabilize a 180 Berger VLD and take advantage of its higher BC. My 7 Rem Mag build is going to use a 30" barrel. I put it on an action that was a 375 H and H. I will have tons of seating depth leeway. So much, in fact, I decided to have Dave Kiff make me a reamer to my specs. I supplied a 180 VLD seated out to what I thought was right for my rig. You could add to the appeal of you semi custom by doing something similar. The reamer was approx $140 IIRC.

Should be a fun project.

You could rebarrel and use the box mag you have or you could just install a 3.820" Wyatts mag box and allow you to seat the STW out where it should be with the heavy bullets.

For long range hunting, I would probably opt for a new barrel in STW with the extended mag box to solve the OAL constraints of the factory Rem box mag.

The reason I would stick with the STW is the ability to drive the heavier 180 gr bullets to higher velocities then the Rem Mag. Do not get me wrong, the Rem Mag is a great round and I used one for many many years with great results. I have tremendous respect for the 7mm Rem Mag but with the length of the Rem 700 receiver, you can easily take advantage of the STWs longer case.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.