Barrel Suggestions for my 6.5x284

BML:

I'm using a Bartlein in my .260 improved. It's a 1:8.5" twist....31" finished length. I'm getting very similar velocites with it when compared to the 6.5-284. This thing just loves 140's. I would say....ditch the factory tube and buy one from one of the reputable manufacturers...you won't be disappointed!

Good Luck,

Wayne

I went with a Bartlein on my 6.5x284. It is a Gain Twist barrel, 24" long. Starts at 8.5 and ends at 8 at the muzzle. It is the 5R style rifling. Plan is 140 Berger VLD.

I would use ANY of the following with confidence so it's really just a matter of cost to you and how soon you want the barrel:

Krieger, Bartlein, Obermyer, Hart, Broughton, Lilja, Shilen.

I bought a Krieger 8 twist 31 in long for my 6.5 WSM build. My friend has a Krieger on his 6.5x47 and has shot a lot of 1 inch groups at 500 yds with it. That is why I went with a Krieger. Brunos always has Kriegers in stock, that is where I got mine.
Tarey

Throw it in the scrap metal pile, and get yourself a real barrel!!gun)Kreigers are my personal favorite...

I've got a Rock Creek on my 6.5x284 and it is super accurate and cleans up easily. As many have said, as long as you go with one of the many superb barrel companies you will be fine, as long as the smith is good.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.