suggestions for rifle for my wife...

My wife has a 6mm Remington model 600 already, but due to the fact it is difficult to find ammo for even when ammo is available and expensive when you do find it, I am considering a new rifle for her. I think it would be a .223 so we could get and reload ammo for and it would be affordable to shoot. I thought about re-barreling the 600 to a 22.250 but that would cost as much as a new rifle. I am thinking about a Ruger American to keep the cost down, but are there other better options than what I am considering? I already have 2 rifles in .223 and reload for them. My wife is very small, 4' 11 3/4" tall so she needs a youth size rifle. would appreciate a few suggestions to help me come up with the best solution.

Thanks!
A 223 or 22-250 or maybe a 243. Brass is easy for 223 and 243 based on 308 a lot around. My wife is the same size. Good luck.

Wow! I am overwhelmed with all the responses! Thank you. You have given many things to think about and some good suggestions I hadn't thought of. I would be buying this for her to just go out shooting with me, and possibly for varmints, since she already has the 6mm to use on deer and elk. Yes, she has taken elk with it as has my son. I do have dies, and around 80 brass for the 6mm, but bullets are the expensive part, and primers difficult to come by for large rifle. I do have around 1700 small rifle primers, 12 lbs. of H335, and 2 or 3000 bullets for the .223. I liked the idea of restocking my Rem 700 rifle, but it has a bull barrel on it and would probably be too heavy for her to carry in the field. the other is an AR with a 20 inch bull and is heavier than the Rem 700! There were several possible suggestions on other rifles I had not heard of, like the Camilla, I will have to check out. The local gun stores and Sportsman's and Cabella's don't seem to have any youth size rifles in stock so I will have to decide and order something in. Thank you again to all who have responded. What a great group of people!

Depending on how and where you hunt you can always invest in a good tripod. My daughter had to hunt with one until she was strong enough to hold her gun steady on a solid rest. It was huge pain to carry around but have her a lot of confidence.

Attachments

• B70B2D70-CA9F-41EB-9A69-76A35B4EFA1B.jpeg
    B70B2D70-CA9F-41EB-9A69-76A35B4EFA1B.jpeg
    450.3 KB · Views: 83
I'd go 25-06. It's popular enough that everyone carries it, but isn't so popular as a plinking round that it gets gobbled up. Plus plenty speed and energy for varmints and deer and it won't beat her up unless she's really recoil sensitive.

I'd go 25-06. It's popular enough that everyone carries it, but isn't so popular as a plinking round that it gets gobbled up. Plus plenty speed and energy for varmints and deer and it won't beat her up unless she's really recoil sensitive.
Ignore that post now I see where you need something lighter.

My wife has had her Tikka compact in 7mm-08 for about 16 years now and loves it. I load Berger 168 vld @ 2550 fps. and ELDX 150's @2750 FPS. Has taken several blacktail's 350 + yds and a couple elk 300-375 yds. Great little rifle.

My wife has a 6mm Remington model 600 already, but due to the fact it is difficult to find ammo for even when ammo is available and expensive when you do find it, I am considering a new rifle for her. I think it would be a .223 so we could get and reload ammo for and it would be affordable to shoot. I thought about re-barreling the 600 to a 22.250 but that would cost as much as a new rifle. I am thinking about a Ruger American to keep the cost down, but are there other better options than what I am considering? I already have 2 rifles in .223 and reload for them. My wife is very small, 4' 11 3/4" tall so she needs a youth size rifle. would appreciate a few suggestions to help me come up with the best solution.

Thanks!
Rebarrel to 243 win..

Wow! I am overwhelmed with all the responses! Thank you. You have given many things to think about and some good suggestions I hadn't thought of. I would be buying this for her to just go out shooting with me, and possibly for varmints, since she already has the 6mm to use on deer and elk. Yes, she has taken elk with it as has my son. I do have dies, and around 80 brass for the 6mm, but bullets are the expensive part, and primers difficult to come by for large rifle. I do have around 1700 small rifle primers, 12 lbs. of H335, and 2 or 3000 bullets for the .223. I liked the idea of restocking my Rem 700 rifle, but it has a bull barrel on it and would probably be too heavy for her to carry in the field. the other is an AR with a 20 inch bull and is heavier than the Rem 700! There were several possible suggestions on other rifles I had not heard of, like the Camilla, I will have to check out. The local gun stores and Sportsman's and Cabella's don't seem to have any youth size rifles in stock so I will have to decide and order something in. Thank you again to all who have responded. What a great group of people!
Sound like you just want a new gun as I offered ammo for her 6MM !

Sound like you just want a new gun as I offered ammo for her 6MM !
I appreciate your offer, and it could be nice to have. I am looking for a "long Range" solution...pun intended, so I thought it would be best to get her a .223, and still have the 6mm for her as well and save money on the ammo.

I appreciate your offer, and it could be nice to have. I am looking for a "long Range" solution...pun intended, so I thought it would be best to get her a .223, and still have the 6mm for her as well and save money on the ammo.
Right now commercial 223 costs as much as 6mm.

Why not reload for the 6mm Remington? You say you reload for the 223 already.
I will if I can find bullets and primers for it. The bullets are a lot more expensive than .224 bullets. I bought 3000 .224 55 gr bullets for .05 each. 6mm bullets seem to be around 30 - 40 cents each. I can't find large rifle primers but I have 1700 small rifle primers. That is why I wanted a .223 for her.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.