suggestions for rifle for my wife...

My wife wanted a rifle to try. She got a Savage Axis in 6.5 Creedmoor. I do not reccomend a CM right now, because you can't get anything for it.

We got my son a Ruger American "Go Wild" in 7-08. Its camo all over, and had a threaded barrel with a brake. Recoil is non-existent, and it is a tack driver. Thats my recommendation!
View attachment 232773

Plus it has a 1:8.5 twist, so it can handle heavier bullets than most 7's that have 1:9.25 or 1:9.5.

In my opinion (which isn't worth much), the 7-08 is the greatest caliber for deer, thats out there. It's a modern 7x57, and we know that cartridge has taken plenty of game.
Good choice Overkill!

My Wife shoots a Vanguard Camilla. She loves it mostly because of the stock geometry. Weatherby did a great job of designing the woman specific stock.

She is shooting it in 7mm-08 with a clamp on Witt Machine brake:

It is light enough, and with the brake recoils little enough, that my 55 Lb 12 year old son can shoot it offhand. I would also add, my wife is Filipina, 4'9" and about 98 Lbs soaking wet. The rifle fits her perfectly.

Last edited:
A fast twist 223 gives lots of flexibility for target, varmint and deer hunting as long as the deer weigh less than anout 250 lb. one should use 60 gr and heavier lead free hinting bullets for the heavier deer, hence the fast twist.

My wife shot her first few deer with a Rem 600 in 6 Rem. I cut the original stock down on it but it never did fit her well. In fact, I don't think those stocks ever fit anyone well. It was deadly accurate though. If you are short on brass 7 x 57 can be necked down. That's what Rem did to create the caliber. It can be rechambered to .243 but that would be a barrel set back and the barrels are already short. The nice thing about being a Rem is lots of barrels are around so picking one up for a good price shouldn't be hard. I eventually put a Hart stainless in 7-08 on my wife's rifle, and a new stock. It's a fun little rifle.

Rather than buy a new rifle, PM me.
I can probably help you out w/6mm Rem ammo.
Cases can also be made from any donor case longer than 57 mm w/an 06 head size.

6.5 x 55 'Swedish Mauser' (6,5 x 55 SE)
Every year, thousands of Scandinavian Moose, live weight up to
one ton, are taken, typically with one shot, with this cartridge....
Norma 156-grain Oryx, Lapua 156-grain Mega.
Hand-loaders can best 6.5 CM and equal 260 Remington
ballistica and at lower pressure=longer barrel life.
'Doc' D

My wife has a 6mm Remington model 600 already, but due to the fact it is difficult to find ammo for even when ammo is available and expensive when you do find it, I am considering a new rifle for her. I think it would be a .223 so we could get and reload ammo for and it would be affordable to shoot. I thought about re-barreling the 600 to a 22.250 but that would cost as much as a new rifle. I am thinking about a Ruger American to keep the cost down, but are there other better options than what I am considering? I already have 2 rifles in .223 and reload for them. My wife is very small, 4' 11 3/4" tall so she needs a youth size rifle. would appreciate a few suggestions to help me come up with the best solution.

Thanks!
If you find primers buy a lottery ticket

My wife has the browning X bolt micro, my daughter has the Savage Axis. If TC makes their Compass in a short length I would consider it. Figure out your budget and then get her to hold as many of the short model rifles as she can and see which one fits best. +1 on all the Votes for 7mm-08. It's the favorite at my house for smaller statured shooters and is very versatile.

The 6mm Rem is a great deer sized game round and the 600 Rem is a sweat handling rifle, congrats. The part I'm having trouble following is with the supposed high cost of ammo. You said you reload the .223, surely you are reloading the 6mm, right? You can, if need be, make brass out of 7x57 or 257 Roberts cases easily if you can't find 6mm Rem brass and I've used 25-06 brass multiple times to make cases for several 6mm AI's I have kicking about. It shouldn't cost a great deal more than any other 6mm to load.

Why not just restock one of the two 223s you have for her to play with dont know what they are but boyds would most likely offer a inexpensive stock for it and they are a good product
Why not restock one of your two .223s like JM recommended or just practice with a .22? If money is not a problem, buy her a youth rifle in a more common caliber like a .308, .243, etc. pick your poison.

Your wife is about the same size as my youngest daughter.
Had the same problem with fitting her for a rifle. Had several MSR in 223 but was not satisfied with the killing power . She was very comfortable shooting this platform so I built her a 6.5 Grendel upper and I couldn't be happier with the results.
Put an adjustable stock on the rifle amd it is perfect for her. It has become my rifle of choice for deer hunting when she is not with me. The 123g Hornady SST is readily available and deadly on deer size game.
Not sure if your hunting state allows you to use AR type rifle For hunting but if not I would still recommend this caliber for your wife.
my daughter killed her first this year at about 60yds . It was a perfect shot quartering away from her. One shot kill amd the bullet performed perfectly .
Bullet entered right above the last rib on the aiming side and busted both lungs and the liver , busted about the 3rd rib on the opposite side and was hanging on the hide.

Attachments

• D4C6F963-71C8-44A4-BC0D-4852AA3D2A01.jpeg
    D4C6F963-71C8-44A4-BC0D-4852AA3D2A01.jpeg
    630.1 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    924.8 KB · Views: 103
Had the same problem with fitting her for a rifle. Had several MSR in 223 but was not satisfied with the killing power . She was very comfortable shooting this platform so I built her a 6.5 Grendel upper and I couldn't be happier with the results.
Put an adjustable stock on the rifle amd it is perfect for her. It has become my rifle of choice for deer hunting when she is not with me. The 123g Hornady SST is readily available and deadly on deer size game.
Not sure if your hunting state allows you to use AR type rifle For hunting but if not I would still recommend this caliber for your wife.
my daughter killed her first this year at about 60yds . It was a perfect shot quartering away from her. One shot kill amd the bullet performed perfectly .
Bullet entered right above the last rib on the aiming side and busted both lungs and the liver , busted about the 3rd rib on the opposite side and was hanging on the hide.
...and the Grendel is very effective to bolt guns and single shots. Beats the heck our of the .223 for medium game.

The 6mm is a great round for a man or woman, if you can find a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 is an excellent choice in a 96 sporter, my wife is 5 foot 1 inch 80 pounds, and has a 12 and half inch pull, she had never shot a gun in her life, we met I got her into deer hunting, her first rifle was a Remington 742 carbine in 30-06, that is a little big I know but it was what she wanted because the wood was pretty, I asked her do you know it will kick, she said that's ok it's got pretty wood, so I bought it and a box of 30-06 125 gr light recoil ammo,we went to the shooting range and she loved it, then she asked how come it doesn't punch like yours? I had let her shot my Remington 760 30-06 with 180 gr. Bullets, I explained hers were low recoil bullets, she used them the first year but the second year she went to the 165 gr. Bullets and loves shooting them in that old 06, she is 57 now and still loves shooting that gun because it has pretty wood

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.