Barrel suggestions for savage build

Savagekid

I just picked up a Savage 110 long action for a build project I am starting up. I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible (hard for long range shooting) so I'm looking for some advice. Anyone have some suggestions for a barrel/caliber that isn't too crazy expensive? I'm looking for a 7mm rm or a 7mm stw but am open to other suggestions. I want to keep the length to 24-26 and have a medium to heavy barrel. The gun is going to be a hunting gun so I don't want to have the entire thing weigh more than 9 or 10 pounds. Also any stock/scope options would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I have picked out so far. Feel free to let me know if any of this is good or garbage for a budget rifle.

110 action with accutrigger
McGowen barrel stainless #4 or #5 contour
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP (overkill??)
Stockade Hunting Sporter

I was also thinking about eventually getting a muzzle break. I like the reviews on the mini magnum muscle break but have no idea as to what crown I should get on the barrel if I plan to put a break on.

Any and all advice/opinions are welcome!

I just picked up a Savage 110 long action for a build project I am starting up. I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible (hard for long range shooting) so I'm looking for some advice. Anyone have some suggestions for a barrel/caliber that isn't too crazy expensive? I'm looking for a 7mm rm or a 7mm stw but am open to other suggestions. I want to keep the length to 24-26 and have a medium to heavy barrel. The gun is going to be a hunting gun so I don't want to have the entire thing weigh more than 9 or 10 pounds. Also any stock/scope options would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I have picked out so far. Feel free to let me know if any of this is good or garbage for a budget rifle.

110 action with accutrigger
McGowen barrel stainless #4 or #5 contour
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP (overkill??)
Stockade Hunting Sporter

I was also thinking about eventually getting a muzzle break. I like the reviews on the mini magnum muscle break but have no idea as to what crown I should get on the barrel if I plan to put a break on.

Any and all advice/opinions are welcome!

Check my Savage build over in Gun photos forum it'll give ya a idea of what #5 looks like W/viper Pa 6.5x20 etc. I built it for longrange Steel and hunting out west. I wanted a sleeker profile w/brake on my build. But it does give circular muzzle blast, blowing dust up. Recoil is almost nothing. Your action, parts and Ideas are far from "garbage". Also, If ya build yourself you have a added pride in gun. Just buy the go/no gauges to headspace for $25 bucks each it's peace of mind knowing it's Right. If ya have anyother ?'s give me a shout. Also check out Savageshooter.com there friendly and super helpful. Anything you need to Know, want will be at that site or in a link about Savages.

Good luck,
Gene R.

I have had good luck with McGowens but I do not have them chambered by savagebarrels.com either, I have Fred at 4D reamers chamber them, CBI barrels are also great for the same money. I say go with the 7mm rm as the stw is to long for the magwell without excessive mods, use a 9 twist 26" savage varmint contour to shoot 180 bergers 2950-3050 and 168 bergers 3100+. I'd also by a 6-24 or 8-32 Sightron SIII and use the money saved for extras like a Vias brake, bipods, brass etc... also Kevin Rayhill [stockade] will likely reccomend his thumbhole hunter/sporter for your application. It will be right at 10# finished, just my thoughts, good luck.

You will be happy with a stockade stock I Have a sporter and love it ! I have a rollover thumbhole on order for another build this fall, they are a great value....You might give Devin sinner at sin arms a call he does great work and is very reasonable on price !

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.