my first re barrel,need some input

dads300winmag

ok guy's,I need some input,Here's what's going on i have an rem700 308 aac-sd 20" bull 1:10 twist i just put a B&C stock on it "2092" and now the rifle's barrel i would like to keep it short but im not sure how short i could go with still maintaining a good 1000yd rifle.Could i stay at 20in or should i go 24? and 1:10 twist.I know that the length matter's but will 4"make that much more of a diff? and what company would you go through?I just got my form 4 and stamp so i will be running the victory suppressor.any input would be grate.this is the first time I have re barreled a rifle and know noting about the process and what i need to consider

This was my experience. I bought a .308 AR clone that came with a 16" barrel. I was chrono'ing at about 2400 fps and change. I re-barreled to a 24" and had chrono around 2900 fps and change. There are a lot of ballistic calculators out there and if you match the parameters as close as possible, you can see what happens to the round close to terminal so when it gets near subsonic, it's likely to tumble and lose accuracy. I love the .308 round, but 1000 yds is really pushing it. Even at the higher MV's I was getting, the performance at that far out would be severely degraded, I suspect. Shooting for 1000 yds with .308 will demand max MV, so shortening the barrel will make it a lot tougher.

ok guy's,I need some input,Here's what's going on i have an rem700 308 aac-sd 20" bull 1:10 twist i just put a B&C stock on it "2092" and now the rifle's barrel i would like to keep it short but im not sure how short i could go with still maintaining a good 1000yd rifle.Could i stay at 20in or should i go 24? and 1:10 twist.I know that the length matter's but will 4"make that much more of a diff? and what company would you go through?I just got my form 4 and stamp so i will be running the victory suppressor.any input would be grate.this is the first time I have re barreled a rifle and know noting about the process and what i need to consider
If your sticking with the .308 a 1-12 twist is the absolute best for this cartridge. As for barrel length, 4inches can make a difference. The added barrel length can add to your velocity. I would go through Hart if you want a match grade top of the line barrel. They are more than some other barrel makers but worth it. Many 1000yd records have been set with Harts. Dont know anything about suppressors sorry. Hope this info helps and good luck!

If rebarreling a .308 Win, might as well squeeze all you can out of it.

I'd go 24-26" Bartlein with 5R rifling, and an 11.25" twist in a Rem Varmint Contour (or heavier, like a Light Palma or Palma contour, if you prefer). That covers you all the way up to 210 Berger VLD's. If you plan on shooting 215 or 230 Berger Hybrids, you will need a 1:10 twist, as they have a longer bearing surface requiring a tighter twist.

But then again, I don't know anything about guns...So, better not take my advice. :D

WOW thank you all for this info!!. i did forget one thing it will be used for deer up to 600yds and a night time subsonic varmint getter i have an sub load useing the outlaw state 220's which calls for a fast twist.Again sorry about leaving this out

WOW thank you all for this info!!. i did forget one thing it will be used for deer up to 600yds and a night time subsonic varmint getter i have an sub load useing the outlaw state 220's which calls for a fast twist.Again sorry about leaving this out
Then you will be wanting 1:10 twist if you will be shooting with a suppressor, and heavy 220gr subsonic bullets.

I would still go with a barrel with 5R rifling, but with a 1:10 twist. Length might be a different story. If all you ever plan on shooting out to is 600 yards, you could get away with a 20" barrel with no problem. BUT, if you think later on you would like to try some 1K shooting, a 24" or 26" would add some velocity and stability to your loads for longer shots.

Bartlein, Brux, Krieger, Douglas, Hart, Shilen, Muller, Rock Creek...Any of the major manuracturers will be good barrels as long as your smith does his part correctly.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.