Re-barreling my rem 700

mikea5232

I have a rem 700 22-250. got a new tube coming from Bartlein with a 1:12 twist. I use the gun mainly for yotes and others misc shooting. My huge question is what caliber to change it to or maybe not at all. I have been looking at 22-6 or 22-243, 22-250ai or maybey even a 22x47 lapua. I plan on shooting a 55gr bullet or maybe a 65gr.
Does anyone have any insight on these calibers. I reload so custom calibers are not an issue.
Thanks

Of those the only one I'd consider is the 22-250 AI. AI's aren't too much of a problem as they're relatively easy to fireform. The other wildcats are a lot of work for forming brass with no real advantage over available factory rounds. I've done wildcats before and the cute factor of having something different from everybody else wears off quickly with the PITA factor of prepping brass.

I have a rem 700 22-250. got a new tube coming from Bartlein with a 1:12 twist. I use the gun mainly for yotes and others misc shooting. My huge question is what caliber to change it to or maybe not at all. I have been looking at 22-6 or 22-243, 22-250ai or maybey even a 22x47 lapua. I plan on shooting a 55gr bullet or maybe a 65gr.
Does anyone have any insight on these calibers. I reload so custom calibers are not an issue.
Thanks

Might have trouble stabilizing a 65gr in a 12 twist.

I thiink i could push it fast enough that it would stabilize just fine with 65s

This is largely a misconception! It is true that velocity has a very small influence on the amount of twist required, but it is SO SMALL that you are on the ragged edge anyway. I would not use that as a difference maker in choosing twist. The elevation you will be shooting at has a FAR greater influence! Good luck..........Rich

That is something I didn't know. The 55gr bullet I shoot now is what I want to stay with anyway. It's one of the best fur friendly bullets I have used. The more I read. I might just do the AI version so I don't get a pile of money wrapped up changing to a complete new caliber.

IIWM 22-250AI or 22-250. You are already setup with that barrel.

Go with a 22-250 AI with a 1 in 8 twist to launch the 70+ grainers. You'll soon forget about trying to stabilize those dinky 55-65 grainers and you'll wonder why you ever considered a slow twist 22-250 in the first place.

Well going with heavy bullets isnt going to work being i have the 1:12 barrel already. i think i am going to the 250ai but not 100% sure. i might have to build a second rifle with heavier bullets next. maybe a 6x47 lapua. something that can buck the wind a little better when im out west and the wind picks up. nothing wrong with another gun

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.