Re-barrel Rem 700

westcliffe01,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, the McM Hunter's Edge stock is already pillar bedded so that is good to go.

I will agree with you that a heavier barrel is very nice in many ways, but not if it's a hunting rifle that has to be carried every where. The goal of this gun is to make a sub-MOA rifle that weighs less than 7.5 lbs scoped that I can use for sheep and other back country hunts. The heavier barrels clearly don't fit the weight criteria. Most of the "true" mtn rifles being made these days have very, very thin contoured barrels. What's the contour on a Kimber Mtn Ascent to get it to weigh in at 4 lbs 13 ounces?

Also, there are many rifles out there that have thin contours that shoot sub-MOA. I watched a buddy last year before a WY lope hunt pull his brand new Rem 700 Mtn Rifle in 308 out of the box, mount a Leupold scope and Talley Rings and shoot sub-MOA groups. This gun isn't bedded, has the stock trigger and stock and the original noodle barrel. IMO he got lucky and scored a decent Rem 700. I scored on a Rem 700 in the late 80s and have one that is nearly completely stock that can do a hair under 1 MOA.

Agree, if you are buying a current 700 you have to get very lucky indeed to get that kind of accuracy. OK, so the weight question is answered then, so that puts special emphasis on your bedding job. If you get a Criterion with the barrel nut, that will require opening the inletting to account for the nut, but the big benefit is not having to pay the $270+ for gunsmithing to fit the barrel. A heavier contour is relatively easy to cut shorter and skinny up so it is all a question of what you are willing to wait for. If you have a smith who can re-profile or who can take a blank and cut all the breech side features, good for you. The prefits are the best deal cost wise.

I recently got a Savage prefit from NSS for $319 (26" stainless Shilen Select Match 243AI 1:8 twist) and it was at my door within 2 days. I had that barrel swapped out in 1/2 hour and the headspace set in 5 minutes. That is the real benefit of the barrel nut system and it is now available for the Remington too.

I have a Rem 700 that sits in a McMillan Hunter's Edge stock that I'm interested in putting a new barrel on. What are people's thoughts on a Bartlein 30 cal 10 twist SS #3 fitting the stock inlet channel? The McM website says "The slender forend will accept up to a factory magnum barrel contour or custom barrel similar to a #3 Douglas or smaller." The Douglas #3 contour has a muzzle diameter of 0.625 where as my barrel in it now has a 0.660. The Bartlein has a 0.670 diameter.

What I'm worried about is the diameter of the contour that goes through the inlet of the stock. Does the Bartlein have a totally different contour than the factory Remington? Should I be concerned?

Also what does my existing barrel weigh? Just the barrel?

Thoughts?

Bartlein will configure the barrel any way that you want. Just ask them for a Remmy copy or modify it to your liking. I have a custom designed one from them and it worked out great.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.