Range Finders ****

The Zeiss PRF im using is working very well for me... it ranges animals, trees, grass, dirt and rocks out to 1400yds in midday sun very reliably. The only things it wont range this far are black objects and black animals.... it just doesnt like black things at all...

I love the Zeiss range finder bino....I tested the smaller one and the larger one. The larger one seamed to range very well out to about 1,450 yards. And the optics,,,holy cow,,,I plan to sell my swaro EL so I can buy this unit. It has HD lenses and you talk about sweet on the eyes. This unit is oh so easy on the eyes.

When I test range finders, I will not spend the time on any metallic objects, buildings, water towers etc. It's a waste of time for me. I only range trees and dirt hill sides. This is what counts in the field.

C ya
kz

My Geovid's have never failed to ranges 1400+ except one time when it was foggy and pouring snow. Then I just used the ranging in my Leupold Scope. I am interested to see how the 1600 LRF works out. I would also like to see a Zeiss. I have a Buddy with the Swaros and he loves it

Len, i have asked this question a couple of times and haven't got an answer yet.... Will this new range finder spit out MOA corections, or only yardage corrections?

If it doesn't give MOA corrections, it wont be of any use to me. My loads seem to change fairly often, with new bullet or powder, etc., so BDC turrets just dont work for me.

Really hoping they come out with an MOA correction version.

-Mark

Right on, Mark.

I hope Huskemaw will be willing to use MOA corrections. It would certainly broaden the new rangefinder's appeal and obviously market share to those orf us that prefer using MOA corrections, but since using MOA is not Huskemaw's bread and butter, it will be very interesting and perhaps telling to see what they do with this.

I certainly hope it includes a powerful ballistics computer, similar to Exbal, but that will use G7. And, like Kestrel's, I hope the temp sensing unit is external so that accurate temp reading are quick to come by. What's the word on these 'issues' Len? Sure would be nice to combine all that in one powerful unit and have it range and then give you an MOA elevation correction--goodbye BDC's...

I tried the Bushnell Elite 1500 this past year and I'm glad Cabelas let me return it. It had problems ranging past 500 yds. My old (purchased about 9 years ago) 1500 ranged better than the new one. After missing the opportunity at a big speed goat this past year, at around 700 yds, I want a range finder that just plain works. I was going to go with the Swaro unit until I read this post. Now I'm leaning towards the Leica or Zeiss, until I find out more details about the Huskemaw. Any help?

I hope Huskemaw will be willing to use MOA corrections. It would certainly broaden the new rangefinder's appeal and obviously market share to those orf us that prefer using MOA corrections, but since using MOA is not Huskemaw's bread and butter,

I don't quite understand the question about MOA. You can get a Huskemaw scope turret cap in MOA. Is that what you are referring to?

I don't quite understand the question about MOA. You can get a Huskemaw scope turret cap in MOA. Is that what you are referring to?

I didn't know that, Len. Thank you for clearing that up.

It seems that tuned BDC turrets are what you hear about most in regards to Huskemaw.

So, my question is: Will their new rangefinder measure barometric pressure, incline/decline angle, temp, humidity and have a powerful ballistic computer (that can use G7), allow user inputs for your MV, scope height, etc.----then calculate all these variables and spit out an MOA elevation correction?

Thank you,

Jon

Yes to all, but unsure of G7.

It won't spit out MOA, but rather the adjusted effective range. But I'll check on that.

It won't spit out MOA, but rather the adjusted effective range. But I'll check on that.

Thanks, Len.

Man, if it would spit out MOA corrections, that would be something. If not, I think we'd still have to use a seperate ball. calc. to establish the MOA elevation correction. A little programming here might go a long way...

If not G7, I hope it allows G1 user imputs based on several velocity windows.

Does is spit out a windage correction based on, say, a 10mph wind from various angles?

Sure would be nice to have all of this in one unit. Giving MOA corrrections would give it an otherwise much broader market appeal, I would think.

Jon

It was kinda my impression that the Huskemaw unit is basically a fix for BDC turrets. It seemed that it would give you a corrected range to dial your BDC turret to based on elevation and environmental conditions as apposed to dialing a little short if you've come up in elevation or your shooting at an angle. I would think that for us MOA guys it may be more useful if you can turn off the ballistics out put and just get the enviro, angle, elevation and a non-corrected range that we can plug into our program from a single unit. I kinda sounded like the Huskemaw unit would have some range to it though.

It seems the Leica 1600 coming out may just be the ticket for most of us for hunting, add to it a good wind meter and ballistics program, I was about to pull the trigger on the Ziess till I read about the Leica 1600, at this rate I will never get a good range finder because of waiting for the next great thing.

I have envisioned being able to buy a range finder with Patagonia Ballistics in it, a guy could get all the info set, shoot drops on a PPC or desktop then sync it to the range finder like we do with the desktop and PPC now. Range it and get a range, a MOA elevation and MOA windage corrections.

Didn't Shawn Carlock say something about using surveying equipment to get good ranges?

Any info on huskemaw? I remember when Aaron Davidson first mentioned the huskemaw rangefinder on the BOTW forum. Its capability to go 2000 yd with awesome features. The estimated price back then was a little more than the Swaro. But that was about two years ago, still awaiting for info.

The 10x42 Geovid I played with ranged out to 1312yd max inconsistently, the 15x56 Geovid seems to breaks the 1400 yd range consistently according to reviews I have read.

APRIL 9, 2010 Quick fact on technology, is it now doubling every two years but by the end of two years, it will probably double every 3 to 6 month. Back in the 1900s, the rate was about every 40 years which is like 2-3 times faster than the 1800s. ~This is all a rough guess. Info was from college.

Len,

Hopefully it does spit out MOA or IPHY. You might explain to the BOTW folks that most LR hunters are using MOA or IPHY turrets or both.

If the software can be written to spit out a corrected yardage then it can also be written to spit out MOA and/or IPHY corrections. In fact, I would think that Programming would be easier... less steps.

If they don't want that market, I'm sure another company will find it sooner or later and my guess is, it's a lot bigger market than the yardage turret market. If and when it does happen, it will make yardage turrets obsolete and that market will shrink, if not disappear. I've already voiced the idea and my opinion to Leica.

In the interim, I'll go with the Leica be cause it is just as useful to me and the projected cost appears to be less. I hope Gunwerks can see an opportunity here.

-Mark

Guys,

We have the Corrected Range, MOA, MIL, G7, External Temp prototype. The software accepts the standard ballistic inputs, and calc time is about a half second. Rain, Snow, Bright Sunlight, Multiple Targets (range gating). Its all there.

We are looking very close at patents right now to ensure we don't infringe. I'll try to get a press release out when we have finalized.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.