Powder change question

RCMSTER

So, I'm trying to sort out a problem. I keep saying I'm done trying to get this bullet to shoot, but then I keep coming back, perhaps for more punishment. The rifle is a 1-8 twist 25-06. Bullet is a 116 gr hammer. Currently using 52 grains of Reloader 26. Accuracy at 100 is on average 3/4" for a 3-4 shot group, but at 200, accuracy is in the 3-4" range. Not near good enough for me. My question is whether a different powder could potentially have a positive effect on this problem, or not. In my mind, seems like if a certain bullet is grouping at 3/4" @ a hundred, then, a powder change wouldn't fix this, but I could be totally full of bologna, which is why I'm posing the question here. Thank you.

I have always had luck with the hammers, and only had to change to a different powder once. Going to 200 isn't that big of a jump. I would reshoot that load again. Also make sure your parallax is adjusted in your scope.

With an 8 twist you shouldn't have any stability issues. What primers are you using? Are you crimping? Did you clean your barrel completely before shooting the Hammers? How far from max pressure are you? Is it possible you have a parallax issue? What powders do you have available? Might want to give the guys at Hammer a call as well, they are great at helping to work through load development.

First thing is. Is it a -3/4" gun? 3/4" is pretty good for a factory gun.Less than 3/4" involves meticulous reloading methods. Brass prep, brass uniforming, powder weighing with a repeatable scale. Consistent projectiles etc…

What he said, ^^^^^ plus I have found that seating depth helps in what you are experiencing. And if you are not at max, try a little more powder. Be careful with Rl.26 , it seems to be temp. Sensitive.
For my 25.06 I like Rl.19 or 22. Or IMR.4350. Hope this helps. 👍

Ok. Let me try answering some questions. I'm using WLR primers. Barrel is not factory. It is a 25" Hart, installed by Diamond T rifle shop out in Idaho. He also did some accuracy stuff to the receiver. Stock is a McMillan HTG, pillar bedded and glass bedded. I stopped at 52 grains because thats where the load was most accurate. Powders I also have is IMR4831, A4350, R-17, Magpro, H4831SC, maybe a couple others that I'm not remembering. Seating depth is the one thing that worries me a bit. I have to seat this bullet way deep. Max length to the lands is 3.055". Don't really like that aspect, but it is what it is. The scope I have mounted is a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical, 3-15 mil/mil. Barrel probably 100-150 rounds through it. Last cleaned about 10 rounds ago with Montana Extreme copper killer, followed by a repeat clean with Butch's Bore Shine. Brass is twice fired Norma. I tried crimping, and that had no effect. Groups were still 3-4". I hand weigh each charge using an RCBS 1010 scale. Cases are full length sized using Redding fill length bushing die. Also tried increasing interference fit to approximately .004. Also had no effect from previous fit, so basically, I'm out of ideas on where to go next.

Very nice rifle, any of the other powders you listed will work just fine. My experience with hammer bullets is they like faster burning powder. The 4831's and 4350 might help you. RL.17 a good choice as well. You are doing pretty much what I do. Sometimes the combination we want to work, isn't what the gun likes.
Hope this helps.

I agree with K.E.C. Move to faster burn powder. Push the hammer until you see some pressure sign then back off. I don't recall see how fast you were pushing it in your post. IMO, if you dropped to a 100 grain Hammer you would create a lighting bolt out of it The 116 is a very long bullet. . Speed kills.

I agree with K.E.C. Move to faster burn powder. Push the hammer until you see some pressure sign then back off. I don't recall see how fast you were pushing it in your post.
3000 fps, or just a tad over, without looking at my log. SD and ES were pretty good, with SD being 9-11, again, without looking at the log. I've worked up loads for my 257 Roberts using the 98 gr and the 104 gr. I think I prefer the 98 gr because it's suppose to retain more weight on impact.

Last edited: