Powder burn rate question

floyd kittrell

Question for Hammer Hunter style bullet , not the absolute Hunters ! should I also select faster burn for weight and caliber powders . Now that season has ended I hope to start loading the 124 grain 30 caliber in my 30-06 . Mr. Bean and Mr. George Taylor have recommended Varget and I am in total agreement with that recommendation , however I only have 1 pound of Varget . For alternate powders for this bullet , caliber and weight , should I test faster burn rates than book loading data as these develop less pressure in the barrel that lead core bullets ? I have a lot of different powders just have not been able to score any Varget for a long time. Thank you in advance for your advice.

IMR 4166 is vary close to varget in burn and velocity, although weight is a little different. Thats what I'm using in place of varget. My LGS had 6 cans I got 4 of them.

Take some time to actually read the observations many of us have made regarding 'burn rate' charts. When you're stuck with just one significant number to use for each powder, what happens when 2 or more have very similar same burn rates? What happens when the Lot # changes as it often does?

All you're basically getting is a weak, potential comparison, not anything absolute. So making statements such as 'they appear to be the same' are insignificant.

Varget and anything you call similar are too slow for this combination. Don't waste this resource.

The bullet you want to load will require a shorter seating depth than standard weight .30-06 bullets. Even though it's a solid, which usually run longer based on weight, this one is shorter and as a result, gets seated shorter. In essence, you will have a significant jump using this bullet in a standard chamber.

I have found that 2 powders work for my lighter bullets in the .30-06:

IMR-3031
VVN-133 (benchrest sweetheart)

Both will burn in the shorter barrels often found on factory .30-06 rifles.

Did you look at hodgdon reloading online? I use the more slower powder and try to fill the cases. A little too much faster powder can cause over pressure.

Ramshot TAC is good with 125 gr

Did you look at hodgdon reloading online? I use the more slower powder and try to fill the cases. A little too much faster powder can cause over pressure.

Ramshot TAC is good with 125 gr
It will take maybe 15 rds for load development and you will have enough Varget too last 10 deer seasons unless you shoot them all at targets . I lb can go a long way in hard times.

Recent Posts