Peterson Brass

Anyone know the alloy of their brass?
Mike: I don't follow why the need to know about the alloy in their brass. I am for sure that I have a lack of understanding about this part of making cases. I never really ever though of this and probably would understand it either fully. The more info the better or a better understanding of making brass can't hurt.
I do understand that manufactures make their brass differently. I for one a great many years ago started and did weight my brass, It work for somewhat. In reading here over the pass few years. That volume weight is the correct way of doing things. I have changed my ways.
Can you advise? Thanks!

I was surprised when one of the guys at Peterson told me that after a lot of effort and expense they found the secret to their 300WM Long brass was adding .0012 to the shoulder.
I changed to neck sizing belted mag over 25yrs or so. Improve my case life for about 3 firing to lost primer pocket after 10 to 12 firing.
In all the reading here I learn that shoulder bumping was the way to go. Only resetting the shoulder back .001 to .003" after each firing. That cut down the working of the case and stop of lot of case stretch at the base. Other things is fireforming your cases. First time extending the bullet into the lands to push the case base back against the bolt face. That way it force the shoulder to move froward not at the case base. Becareful of on your powder load. Not to create hight chamber pressures.
What Peterson came out with is a major sept forward for belted may cases. If you are trying to size for a different chamber just size the neck down to the caliber. Also look at your reloading manuals to compare one belted mag case from base to shoulder, and to the neck. Besure that there isn't a differents. Otherwise a little more work maybe required to size the case.

Once I invested in a good bit of Norma brass in 223Rem. It measured far better than brown box Lapua.
But by the 8th reload the primer pockets opened.
I went back to Lapua and 50+ reloads later I'm still using it.

The only difference was in the brass alloy.
Lapua was the hardest, Norma was the softest.

For any metal you have this to consider, as there is always benefit-vs-detriment in play.
I imagine it is easy for Norma to make perfect cases in the softest alloy.
And it is easy for Lapua to satisfy customers with long brass life.

If Peterson is dead in between, sounds like they are, there is nothing to conceal about that.
They should stop with the games and simply tell us when asked.

Once I invested in a good bit of Norma brass in 223Rem. It measured far better than brown box Lapua.
But by the 8th reload the primer pockets opened.
I went back to Lapua and 50+ reloads later I'm still using it.

The only difference was in the brass alloy.
Lapua was the hardest, Norma was the softest.

For any metal you have this to consider, as there is always benefit-vs-detriment in play.
I imagine it is easy for Norma to make perfect cases in the softest alloy.
And it is easy for Lapua to satisfy customers with long brass life.

If Peterson is dead in between, sounds like they are, there is nothing to conceal about that.
They should stop with the games and simply tell us when asked.
THANKS. I see the light.😄 I now better understand.

I imagine the development of the 22 and 25 Creed was easier considering they already had the parent case fully developed, same with the 338 RPM. The 6.5 RPM has been out longer than the 6.8 Western has so I see how they could've developed the cartridge sooner. Even the 22 and 25 Creed have been out longer than the Western, so I can see how/why they have those available.

As others have said, I'm sure they want to see it be successful before investing the money in it. I'm sure it's just a basic business decision that they'd like to make sure it with have a ROI first. I can't see how they figured a the RPM was going to be more widely accepted than the Western though? Maybe they figured since it's a 6.5 over the .277 as the 6.5 calibers have been extremely popular as of late. I know I'd like to get a short magnum action and would definitely consider the 6.8 Western over some others but, the brass availability does give some pause on that and would lead me more towards the 7mm SAUM instead, even though I already have too many 7mm cartridges and I'd like to add a .277.
Wby is using the Peterson brass for loading their ammunition. Makes the RPM brass a no brainer.

Been tossing around the idea of Peterson or ADG. Haven't heard anything bad about ADG but I've heard Peterson was good too and Peterson been coming out with more option's especially a few I run so just curious if I'd be regretting going with one over the other.
nope.