Peterson Brass &&^^%$##$%

A bushing then mandrel is standard for cases I use, new or fired.
A few necks will be flattened normally in new bulk brass, so at least I get them all round starting off.
A lot of wisdom here. I would chamber new untouched brass to see if the brass needs full-length sizing, which would indicate your headspace in the rifle is on the short side, which is no big deal big deal, bump the shoulder back a tad..

As others have mentioned, you may have an issue with thick necks, which would mean that when you chamber the brass, the neck in the chamber is trying to swedge down the diameter of the neck which can lead to some incredible pressure spikes.

A lot of wisdom here. I would chamber new untouched brass to see if the brass needs full-length sizing, which would indicate your headspace in the rifle is on the short side, which is no big deal big deal, bump the shoulder back a tad..

As others have mentioned, you may have an issue with thick necks, which would mean that when you chamber the brass, the neck in the chamber is trying to swedge down the diameter of the neck which can lead to some incredible pressure spikes.
Cerro-safe chamber casting perhaps?

Last week I loaded a new batch of Peterson brass in .300 Weatherby and as with all new brass I full length size, trim to length/chamfer and anneal with AMP. I want to make sure I have consistent brass before I ever start working up a load as these will be the same steps I go through between each subsequent loading. What I did notice on the first sizing was the necks were snug as it took more than the usual effort needed to get the expander ball to pass through the necks. After this procedure they were good to go and load workup was a breeze.

FWIW,
Been using Peterson in 6.5 Creed and 6 Dasher for a while now with no issues at all.
I will be trying them on my 6.5 CM too, when I get around it.

IMG_0966.jpeg

There are only two brands of brass I use; Alpha Munitions and Lapua.

Every other brand has been deficient in more than one way, consistently deficient, across many years of repeated evaluation.

The two aforementioned companies set the standard, and in my testing so far, no one else has been able to meet it. Frankly, Alpha is so far ahead right now, I think it will be some time before anyone can offer anything close to what they are putting out. Unfortunately their product offering is just not that diverse. Yet the rest of the brass on the market is bad enough, that I have removed all my barrels that are chambered in something I can't buy or make the brass out of Alpha or Lapua.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

There are only two brands of brass I use; Alpha Munitions and Lapua.

Every other brand has been deficient in more than one way, consistently deficient, across many years of repeated evaluation.

The two aforementioned companies set the standard, and in my testing so far, no one else has been able to meet it. Frankly, Alpha is so far ahead right now, I think it will be some time before anyone can offer anything close to what they are putting out. Unfortunately their product offering is just not that diverse. Yet the rest of the brass on the market is bad enough, that I have removed all my barrels that are chambered in something I can't buy or make the brass out of Alpha or Lapua.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Thank you. I just Cheked out alpha munitions.

I loaded a few 260 rounds using brand spanking new peterson brass. I deburred them added primers and powder then preceded to seat some 143 ELDX pills. I had to put a lot of pressure to seat the bullets in the cases. So much pressure that I stopped at 4 rounds. I went by the local range to give them a try and the bolt on my mod 7 was kinda hard to close. I sent the first round down range and needless to say it was a flyer....the other 3 would not chamber as they like about 1/2 inch. I put a little pressure on one and it ended up sticking in the chamber...had to knock it out with a wooden rod when I got back home. I have used almost every other brand of new brass but have never ran into this. Anyone else had this issue ?
I've had no issues with Peterson brass. I've loaded .308, 6.5cm, .280AI, .30-06 and .270 using Peterson brass. I always use an expanding mandrel on all new brass.

I'm on a 13th reload on some of my .308 brass.

Edit- their brass is pretty substantial. When you loaded were you 'crunching kernels'? That will result in difficulty seating. I've found with my .308 loads I have to use a tall drop tube otherwise I'll have to exert a lot of force to seat my 168 and 169 match bullets.

Last edited:
Recently purchased 500 pcs 260 Peterson small primer brass and did as i do with any brass. Full length sized checked length which was very consistent @ 2.027. Turned necks to .013 and had no problems. At this point have only done fifty cases. Cases were packed loose in the box so no hand picked just grab handful til i had 50. IMR4350 test loads got one load .371. Have 243 Pet. brass also. Good results with both.

My 6.5 Creed Peterson Brass, with both, 143 gr. ELD-X's and 130 gr. M's, shoot,.. TINY !
I Always, FL size, New Brass to get, the Neck Tension, "Correct" and for,.. GOOD smooth, chambering.
Peterson IS,. "Top Notch" brass, IMO and VERY close to, Lapua for quality, as,. I HAVE used, Both.
Peterson is slightly thicker, so I use, 1/2 a Grain,.. Less Powder.

Last edited:
My 6.5 Creed Peterson Brass, with both, 143 gr. ELD-X's and 130 gr. M's, shoot,.. TINY !
I Always, FL size, New Brass to get, the Neck Tension, "Correct" and for,.. GOOD smooth, chambering.
Peterson IS,. "Top Notch" brass, IMO and VERY close to, Lapua for quality, as,. I HAVE used, Both.
Peterson is slightly thicker, so I use, 1/2 a Grain,.. Less Powder.
So my first batch of Peterson was 200 rounds for my 6xc . I ball mic the necks and noticed they were thick . Neck turned them all to .013 " as I would do with Lapua or Alpha . Just know issues this way and constantly good. The Peterson and Alpha shoot .03 grains less powder for the same speed as Lapua .

Run your expander button through the necks
👍 👍 👍 👍 This should be just common practice with any new brass .. Hell, even the "Supposed golden children" Lapua and Alpha need this done. A little dry Graphite and a quick run through easy peasy!! Not that big of a deal honestly

Last edited: