Peterson Brass &&^^%$##$%

lacajun

I loaded a few 260 rounds using brand spanking new peterson brass. I deburred them added primers and powder then preceded to seat some 143 ELDX pills. I had to put a lot of pressure to seat the bullets in the cases. So much pressure that I stopped at 4 rounds. I went by the local range to give them a try and the bolt on my mod 7 was kinda hard to close. I sent the first round down range and needless to say it was a flyer....the other 3 would not chamber as they like about 1/2 inch. I put a little pressure on one and it ended up sticking in the chamber...had to knock it out with a wooden rod when I got back home. I have used almost every other brand of new brass but have never ran into this. Anyone else had this issue ?

I loaded a few 260 rounds using brand spanking new peterson brass. I deburred them added primers and powder then preceded to seat some 143 ELDX pills. I had to put a lot of pressure to seat the bullets in the cases. So much pressure that I stopped at 4 rounds. I went by the local range to give them a try and the bolt on my mod 7 was kinda hard to close. I sent the first round down range and needless to say it was a flyer....the other 3 would not chamber as they like about 1/2 inch. I put a little pressure on one and it ended up sticking in the chamber...had to knock it out with a wooden rod when I got back home. I have used almost every other brand of new brass but have never ran into this. Anyone else had this issue ?
We use mostly Lapua in our 260s. Sounds like a "Thick Neck" . Did you check the OD of your loaded necks? Is your chamber SAAMI or chamber cut for tight necks?

Ugh, bummer. Sorry to hear it.

Like the others have mentioned, any brass you use needs inspection and probably needs the necks sized as a minimum, and possible to need a FL size in some instances.

Peterson is above average brass, but isn't immune to that advice. Even Lapua should be inspected and needs necks worked as often as not.

If you saved one of those rounds, it is a good idea to take the dimension over the loaded bullet to make sure your neck clearance is okay, and I would check the neck length as well as throw the round through a min chamber gage. YMMV

I quit using Peterson brass when both batch's of 300 win long I bought had doughnuts in the necks. Fought and fought and fought to get good consistency and on a whim tried the same load with a different brand of brass and right off the bat got good consistent loads. Did this with 3 different rifles. You could visually see the doughnut with a naked eye. Peterson just ignored me when I tried to talk to them about it.

Definitely not a common issue with Petersen brass. I measure the brass, check over real good, run a mandrel down neck mouth, prime, charge cases, seat bullet, shoot several groups, and hunt! No issues so far. .280AI and 7RM.