Peterson Brass

Going through all the r&d to create brass and have the cartridge go to the wayside, like so many, is the issue. My gut is the cartridge is here to stay.
I get it. I just think if companies like Peterson started producing components for it, it'd see more success than if they didn't. I know they'd rather see it be successful first but, I think major component companies definitely play a roll in a cartridge's possible longevity.

I get it. I just think if companies like Peterson started producing components for it, it'd see more success than if they didn't. I know they'd rather see it be successful first but, I think major component companies definitely play a roll in a cartridge's possible longevity.
On that note, the ultimate gamble had to be what Norma did with their .358 magnum (which I have and adore) - but it didn't really pay off! Winchester's .338 mag and the established and unmovable popularity of the .375 Hh made it redundant and obsolete over time.

But interestingly enough, Norma quietly introduced the .358 Norma magnum to the world…AS AN EMPTY CASE FOR RELOADERS AND REAMER PRINTS FOR GUNSMITHS!!!!!! Now that's nuts. They brought a cartridge to life from nothing without any factory rifles existing for it and not even loading ammunition, just making cases haha.

It'll never be popular, but it does have a small but fiercely enthusiastic cult following. Those that use it love it.

Petersen does a dedicated thread on another forum that shares quite a bit of information about the how and the why of their company. R&D and upfront investment to produce new cartridge brass is considerable. More goes into that than we imagine out here in fun world. You can bet finance and marketing are heavily involved in those decisions. They can take a shot at some , but not all cartridges that may not ultimately be profitable enough over time. ( thinking maybe .270 win, which, probably isn't shot in high enough volumes by the typical user) Also companies typically do not want to share a lot of proprietary info to satisfy everyone's curiosities as it could bite them in a competitive environment.

I compiled a list of brass that people have requested and sent it to Peterson. Some of it is brass that Peterson does not make. I called it the wish list. Here is the response that I got.

Wish list:

All the wsm's, particularly the 300wsm - this will be available later this year

6mm ARC - this will be exclusive through a Giessele for the first 3 years. They partnered in the projected and funded the caliber development.

7stw - I dont believe this will be made by us. likelihood is low.

6.5 SAUM - there is potential for this once we get the WSM fully developed. That being said, I dont see us doing it in the next few year.

22-250 - there is potential for this caliber. It would be limited but not in the next few years.

25-06 - there is potential for this caliber. It would be limited but not in the next few years.

223 -- I dont believe this will be made by us. likelihood is low.

30-378 -- I dont believe this will be made by us. likelihood is low.

220 swift -- I dont believe this will be made by us. likelihood is low.

6.8 Western - this has been discussed. we are waiting to see the industry show more support.
I really hope the include the 7 WSM in the "all WSM" as stated above. It's an excellent round. I'm stuck with the Hornady brass I have for it for now.

I have a small update that may be of interest. I just asked Peterson about 257 Weatherby brass. They responded today and said that they last ran it in 2022. And, it's NOT on the calendar for 2024. :(
I checked into that about six months ago as well. I ended up buying 270 Weatherby from them and just running it through my 257 die

That's kinda crappy. lol. It seems like if there was quality brass more rifles would be bought/built. Since they are part of the industry. Haha
I can't say crappy because it doesn't impact me at all, but I find it odd considering they're already bought into 22 creed, 25 creed, and both the 6.5 and 338 rpm. Nevermind all the obscure Nosler and Weatherby stuff. How many 33 noslers will ever exist in the universe compared to the 6.8s already? Not a complaint, I got no horse in this race, it's just... funny I guess. Both 284 variants, both 280 variants, but 25-06 is still years out? All those Normas but the WSMs were too much before now? Of course there's a chicken-egg paradox to confront, but they're obviously no stranger to creating a market to be supportive of.

Steve, I've been thinking of trying their SRP 6.5CM stuff, have you heard many opinions on small primers and Hammers playing well together? Specifically and light for caliber hammers or absolutes? I just worry gentle ignition and slippery pills might be self-defeating, even though I've had great success with regular LRP vs MagLRP in short mags.

I can't say crappy because it doesn't impact me at all, but I find it odd considering they're already bought into 22 creed, 25 creed, and both the 6.5 and 338 rpm. Nevermind all the obscure Nosler and Weatherby stuff. How many 33 noslers will ever exist in the universe compared to the 6.8s already? Not a complaint, I got no horse in this race, it's just... funny I guess. Both 284 variants, both 280 variants, but 25-06 is still years out? All those Normas but the WSMs were too much before now? Of course there's a chicken-egg paradox to confront, but they're obviously no stranger to creating a market to be supportive of.

Steve, I've been thinking of trying their SRP 6.5CM stuff, have you heard many opinions on small primers and Hammers playing well together? Specifically and light for caliber hammers or absolutes? I just worry gentle ignition and slippery pills might be self-defeating, even though I've had great success with regular LRP vs MagLRP in short mags.

As far as getting good ignition, regardless of primer type, I think the general consensus is that a good solid crimp is your friend.

Regarding 6.8 western, you'll notice they don't have any SAUM or WSM brass either. All very similar. I don't know anything about manufacturing brass, to be clear, but it seems if you already had the tooling to make 6.5 creedmoor brass, making 25 and 22 creed shouldn't require that much more effort compared to starting afresh with a whole other cartridge case family.