Peterson Brass &&^^%$##$%

Does an empty case chamber?

Tight necks aren't uncommon on new brass, I got it with a batch of Lapua 223 to the point the bullets were being deformed by the seating stem. It happens. Run a mandrel through and they open up.

But what you're describing of a loaded round not chambering, that sounds like you didnt' seat them enough then tried to shoot them.

Tight necks aren't uncommon on new brass, I got it with a batch of Lapua 223 to the point the bullets were being deformed by the seating stem. It happens. Run a mandrel through and they open up.

But what you're describing of a loaded round not chambering, that sounds like you didnt' seat them enough then tried to shoot them.
yes sir

Peterson brass that I've used has been good quality, but consistency lot to lot can vary. In one instance several grains when I got a new batch. Two things you should have done prior to your range trip:
1. Size the brass and make sure it chambers in your rifle.
2. Make sure the loaded ammo chambers properly.
Sorry brother but if you didn't check for proper chamber fit (especially after having such a hard time seating a bullet), then the fault and frustration is mostly on you. I'm saying this from my own personal faulted experiences.

I loaded a few 260 rounds using brand spanking new peterson brass. I deburred them added primers and powder then preceded to seat some 143 ELDX pills. I had to put a lot of pressure to seat the bullets in the cases. So much pressure that I stopped at 4 rounds. I went by the local range to give them a try and the bolt on my mod 7 was kinda hard to close. I sent the first round down range and needless to say it was a flyer....the other 3 would not chamber as they like about 1/2 inch. I put a little pressure on one and it ended up sticking in the chamber...had to knock it out with a wooden rod when I got back home. I have used almost every other brand of new brass but have never ran into this. Anyone else had this issue ?
Curious, is the first time using Peterson brass? If so, a change in component of any load requires ladder up to affirm pressure range. Peterson brass may require lower load due to it being heavier in nature similar to Lapua. What is the load data? Edit added: case volume may be different which may result in neck bulge if load not adjusted for different brass.

+1 on at neck sizing.

Last edited:
I loaded a few 260 rounds using brand spanking new peterson brass. I deburred them added primers and powder then preceded to seat some 143 ELDX pills. I had to put a lot of pressure to seat the bullets in the cases. So much pressure that I stopped at 4 rounds. I went by the local range to give them a try and the bolt on my mod 7 was kinda hard to close. I sent the first round down range and needless to say it was a flyer....the other 3 would not chamber as they like about 1/2 inch. I put a little pressure on one and it ended up sticking in the chamber...had to knock it out with a wooden rod when I got back home. I have used almost every other brand of new brass but have never ran into this. Anyone else had this issue ?
Did you full length resize them?

I've had that trouble with Norma, but never Peterson. I resize the neck every time, new or old brass. Just before seating, I use a Q-tip with Hornady resizing spray and circle inside the top of the neck.
I've done loads for guys with custom chambers…oh, Nelly, what a can of worms that was….

Speaking for myself…. I if I'm using Sierra bullets my routine is to start ten thousand shorter than the book shows and about middle of the load list given.
Then adjust load / length from there.

Maybe I missed it but did you run them through the sizing die?