Opinions on this picture

Deputy819

Hey guys! I'm definitely not a diehard coyote hunter.....only killed a couple because the opportunities presented themselves, but I've never seen a coyote that looked quite like this one. A buddy of mine sent me this picture taken on his farm recently. Any cross-breeding with a domestic dog possibly present here?
20190227_200737.jpg

Some years ago...IDK 10 or 15 ...we started to get coyote in the suburbs (Northwest IN, near Chicago)
I noted that they were LARGE.
I always considered coyote as something that just a size up from fox.
These looked more like what I thought a wolf should be in size.

Again, this was just my own WAG of what a coyote should look like.

Point of this intro?

Turns out that a few years ago they did a genetic study of all coyote in the US, esp. the growing numbers in the East and Midwest.

It turns out that 100% of modern coyote in the east of the Rockies are actually all hybrid coyote/dog/wolf.

so, long story short...that looks like a high percentage of dog.
But every coyote you see has some percentage of dog, and to my surprise and confirmation on the size issue WOLF.

https://apnews.com/723302aed1f241c5a007daff56671420

I think it is just a color phase that it is going through. Also it looks like a big male.

I have seen and heard others call these red wolves on the coast, but they are just coyotes.

Different areas of the US produce different looking coyotes. and most of the ones we see in south Texas have this dark color on there backs.

J E CUSTOM

Coyotes and domestic dogs will definitely breed. I have a 12 year old coy-dog, I got her from my neighbor who watched her momma "hook up" with the coyote through his spotting scope. The female was a Australian Shepherd. My dog is a real sweetheart, but kills anything that isn't a dog, including deer.

A couple of years ago my son did a school project on the eastern coyote and while doing research he found wildlife biologists reports that termed the phrase "Coydog" because it was determined through the DNA of trapped coyotes that they cross breeding with domestic dogs.

Wolves kill yotes. Thats a yote for sure.

You got to take what the people that test them say with a grain of salt for sure. After all we share a lot of DNA with rats........ And 90 something of our DNA is supposed to be ape..... LOL Get the picture.

What are Dogs? why their canines. What are wolves?? Why their canines. What are yotes?? why their canines.. No wonder they share some of the same DNA. I would be willing to venture that if you took a Australian dingo and tested it they could say the same thing for it.

Last edited:
Same with the concept of the idiot in New York testing DNA samples for Bigfoot...
Always the same thing....human contamination....well no sh.t.....isnt he supposed to be a bipedal humanoids mammal.....
Where as the lady in Texas said sure as hell looks like it could be DNA of a Bigfoot to me.......

It's just a color change , happens in nature , take up the challenge , help save our deer ,nesting birds ,you name it he'll eat it . Deer stands sit vacant all year ,nice place to start ! Day time sightings are Brazen ,shows numbers,& critter additude .

What part of the country?
Eastern Kentucky. I've only killed a couple on my property (they didn't look like this one) which happens border my friends farm where the picture was taken.

It's just a color change , happens in nature , take up the challenge , help save our deer ,nesting birds ,you name it he'll eat it .

Gotcha! Man, I barely have time to deer hunt anymore let alone hunt yotes. I always keep an eye peeled and a .243 ready around my place though....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.