.22lr opinions wanted

For 50 yds and in Id use Stingers or other HV ammo to the neck or head area with no worries. However to also keep cost down & keep it rimfire while maximising close range performance, Id step it up to a 22wmr personally.

I too agree with the 22mag. however if i was to use the lr, i would use whatever the gun likes best in the accuracy dept and strictly shoot head. I would probably limit myself to 75 yds. Gonna have to be a heck of a hunter to get em that close in though. they aren't called wylie coyotes for nothing. Most of my rimfires really like the wolf match. Cheap and really accurate in multiple guns. If you shoot for the head it doesn't have to be a hp. My guns shoot better with target stuff. Eley, Lapua, followed by the wolf. Find what shoots best and you can easily take head shots. I mean i have killed hogs with 22lr up to 200 pounds. Our WMA around here only let you take what weapon is legal for normal game that is in season at the time so most of us have no choice. Wemhog hunt when a good bit when only squirrel season is in. Dropped many a hog like that. I am sure a coyote would be no different.

Dropped a small coyote this morning while squirrel hunting. Ruger 10/22 Carbine with Win 22LR ammo. Headshot at 25 yards. I would stick to headshots and 50 yards or less with 22lr.

Squirrelopenerbonus2012KS.jpg
[/IMG]

Every .22 rifle is a law unto itself when it comes to ammo brands and accuracy. Most of mine over the years have been more consistent with sub-sonic or std velocity ammo. I'd do some testing in the rifle you intend to use and try and find a high velocity round that shoots consistently under 1/2" at 30yds. My goal is usually under 3/8th's at 50 so 1/2 at 30 is a reasonable expectation for a good shooting h/v round. RWS hv h/p's are pricey but usually consistent. CCI minimags usually do ok and the Winchester powerpoints usually shoot well. I don't have any guns that shoot the hyper velocity rounds accurately enough to make me comfortable using them. Yours may be different and shoot stingers really well.

Sometimes playing with the torque on the rcvr screws can make a big difference and glass pillar bedding a .22 isn't too hard and can help too.

Coyotes in thick cover or from a well camoflaged location at 25 to 75 yds are real sport with a rimfire. I've killed 'em with .17 mach 2 and know others who have as well. Shoot with care. Aim small, miss small.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.