old guys and shooting

Ok First I figure into the old guys thing now days or so I am told,so no offence meant.

I have missed more shot this year at deer then in past 10 years total. I noticed that while testing zero on cpl rifles that both shot exactly the same,3" left of center. Shooting 3 shot groups,groups where good under 1/2" at 100. Could be coincidence or the guy behind scope,I am betting on last one.
My question is does slight decrease in sight (need 1.00 glass' to read) cause a correction factor while sighting thru scope? In other words am I correcting my vision and maybe causing point of aim to be off? Ironic part is I have used both rifles for target shooting this year and while hitting a gallon jug at 400 is no big feat,both rifles did so fairly easily.

To all. No, you're not alone as long as we are Standing on the grass!

About the cataracts, you can tell your doc whether you want good near vision or distance - or one of each!

I made some shooting sticks years ago out of 5/8 dowel and padded the ends with rubber hose. Works great, very steady. Hey - it worked for the buffalo hunters - and they shot bullets with the trajectory of a cucumber.

Regarding the bad finger; you could cut my trigger finger off & I wouldn't feel it. Talk about muscle memory!

It's OK.

I missed the same deer 3 times this fall and figured out why on the next trip to the range when shooting another rifle. My scope level got bumped during that hunt and I didnt know it. After a trip to the range and shooting another rifle to test some loads I was right on the money and with the target somewhat level I use the scope level on the rifle to make sure the gun was level. Then I shot the rifle that I missed the deer with 3 times, during my shot sequence and WHOA! I notice the cross hair was canted at least 5 degrees on the target with the bubble centered on the scope level! I knew then my level got bumped and twisted on the scope tube. During my hunt the shots I were taking were in a canyon and I could not have known that the level was that far out of whack. Shots were 312, 329 and 361 yards before the deer disappeared into a thicket. I have now made some witness marks on my scopes using a silver sharpie market so I can tell at a glance if something has moved. I also on this particular rifle put a small lug of JB Weld epoxy on the tube and the level to keep it there. lesson learned.

Is it possible the erector in your scope turned and not the level? I got a new top end scope just before elk hunting this year and discovered the reticle was not square with the turrets... I got it back from the manufacturer a month ago and after several shots the reticle had rotated again, looks about 5 degrees. This from an 1800$ scope

The only thing I notice shooting that's different now (64) is that I can see my heartbeat at a much lower magnification now than when I was a young lad

I get laughed at in instructor courses because I admit I can't see the sights anymore and simply shoot without them.;)
Short shots or close moving targets the sights aren't needed. I can't focus that quickly. Long shots I line up comfortable, have the POA ride up and down the reticle, pause and squeeze. This keeps my scope and barrel perpendicular to the earth.

Short shots or close moving targets the sights aren't needed. I can't focus that quickly. Long shots I line up comfortable, have the POA ride up and down the reticle, pause and squeeze. This keeps my scope and barrel perpendicular to the earth.

I cant' focus them at all. I use basically solely a reactive shooting technique now just centering the whole gun on the target other than the larger much more visible sights on my revolvers.

I keep kilin stuff and qualifying for all my instructor course or when trying to work with students so it must be working.

I have no talent but it appears I inherited some good genes from a Great Grandfather/Federal Marshal who was rebound as one of the finest pistol shooters of his era and deathly feared by those he went after.

Having his genes but lacking his talent it's taken thousands of rounds to perfect.

Reportedly he could hit a Vienna Sausage size can with six shots before it could hit the ground with a recover. Never heard it from him but from many eye witnesses.

His tenure began in the early 1880's in NM and KS.

I missed the same deer 3 times this fall and figured out why on the next trip to the range when shooting another rifle. My scope level got bumped during that hunt and I didnt know it. After a trip to the range and shooting another rifle to test some loads I was right on the money and with the target somewhat level I use the scope level on the rifle to make sure the gun was level. Then I shot the rifle that I missed the deer with 3 times, during my shot sequence and WHOA! I notice the cross hair was canted at least 5 degrees on the target with the bubble centered on the scope level! I knew then my level got bumped and twisted on the scope tube. During my hunt the shots I were taking were in a canyon and I could not have known that the level was that far out of whack. Shots were 312, 329 and 361 yards before the deer disappeared into a thicket. I have now made some witness marks on my scopes using a silver sharpie market so I can tell at a glance if something has moved. I also on this particular rifle put a small lug of JB Weld epoxy on the tube and the level to keep it there. lesson learned.
Well, i only thought i had heard everything. Lol

The only thing I notice shooting that's different now (64) is that I can see my heartbeat at a much lower magnification now than when I was a young lad

You may be just more aware of your heartbeat than you were when you were young. Also, I remember when I was working as a cardiology tech, patients sometimes told me that they could feel their heartbeats more when they were taking certain cardiac medications. If you're taking any anti-arrhythmia medications, that may be influencing how you see your heartbeats in the scope.

I'm with Rich Coyle. At 70, After 2 heart attacks, 2 cataract surgeries and 2 neck surgeries I still love to shoot both rifles and shotguns. No glasses when shooting through a scope. Distance corrected lenses for shotgun and sporting Clay's. Forget offhand and iron sights. With a good rest, still deadly with a rifle. Just forget magnums. Got rid of them. Love the (dare I say it) Creedmoor!)

You were doing really good until.....that last comment:eek:;):rolleyes:!!! Gonna throw up now!!!!!:(:(

My wife is 49, just had both lenses replaced with panoptix lenses. She had advanced cataracts and astigmatisms in both eyes, wore glasses the last 10 years. Left one done 12/13, tested at 20/20 on 12/17. Right one done 12/23 and going back for the check up next week. She says her vision right now is better than it's ever been in her life, doctor says it will get better in the next 6 months. I'm seriously jealous as I'm struggling trying to get used to wearing glasses glasses for the first time. I'm 57, been using readers in increasing strength for about 10 years but now needing bifocals and shooting is one of the most frustrating things I've done.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.