old guys and shooting

CHRIS MCBRIDE

Ok First I figure into the old guys thing now days or so I am told,so no offence meant.

I have missed more shot this year at deer then in past 10 years total. I noticed that while testing zero on cpl rifles that both shot exactly the same,3" left of center. Shooting 3 shot groups,groups where good under 1/2" at 100. Could be coincidence or the guy behind scope,I am betting on last one.
My question is does slight decrease in sight (need 1.00 glass' to read) cause a correction factor while sighting thru scope? In other words am I correcting my vision and maybe causing point of aim to be off? Ironic part is I have used both rifles for target shooting this year and while hitting a gallon jug at 400 is no big feat,both rifles did so fairly easily.

I am 52 now and shoot all the time. I also have to use 1.0-1.5 readers as I am right now typing this. The only thing that I have changed in the last 10 years is I have upgraded all my optics to 34mm tubes from 30. As far as a shift in POI I have not seen that at all. I have found that I grip the rifle harder during recoil which is something I have to back off on. Seating position at the bench and several other variables will cause POI shift but as long as the reticle is in focus and you have no movement in it when moving your head up and down a little then it's most likely a form issue in my opinion. I just did some shooting yesterday at 587 yards with both my 30 06 and my 7-300WSM and it took me a few shots to get back in the grove.

Does your POI seem to change while wearing a heavy jacket? Is all the parallax removed form the scope in these attempts.
Sounds to me like you are not getting behind the scope correctly.
As we age, I don't think we can increase our dexterity from our peak periods, but we can maintain and in cases increase our muscle memory in some tasks.
I need reading glasses, plus corrective lenses to see distance, but I do not shoot while wearing corrective lenses.
If I were you, I would try backtrack from hitting the gallon jug to now, find the disconnect.

As we get older, we need to change with the years. I would recommend that you take each rifle to the range and completely re adjust the Parallax and the ocular eye piece to get the best site picture. Like most older shooters we still know how to shoot, we just need more assistance with the basics.

If your long vision is still good your shooting should still be with good settings on the scope. close end vision should not make that much difference if the ocular focus is set correctly.

Sometimes it is just physical changes and we have to adjust to them. Don't get discouraged, it happens to everyone. A couple of range sessions with lots of effort and you will figure it out.

78 and still on the green side of the lawn.

J E CUSTOM

Shooting while wearing glasses...no fun...trifocals make it absolutely horrible....such a fine spot to look thru and get site picture fo work...better to have a special set of glasses for shooting...dual vocals or singles....get the best picture you can....
Some guys use reading glasses to shoot....dont have fo be powerful but help clear the vision of what you are looking at in the scope...

Actually a cpl of you may have hit on it. I talked with old Marine sniper( I mean Presidential sniper duty for Ford and Carter )today and he said I might not have it on shoulder. Figure he might know what he is talking about too. Going to do some test shots tomorrow and pay close attention to seating rifle. If shoot to right same amount I know it was me and just readjust scope to where it was.

Funny thing is I was about dead on after adjusting as I figured they needed. Heck It maybe why I missed so freaking many shots this year.

There used to be a gong at 400 yards. It was a 15" square with the corners radiused off an inch or so. I had twenty cases to fire form. After hitting the gong off hand every time my wife called me a showoff. I was about fifty. Now that I am seventy-five I doubt I could do it sitting.

But if I can get prone I am like my dad, "I'm as good as I ever was."

Ok First I figure into the old guys thing now days or so I am told,so no offence meant.

I have missed more shot this year at deer then in past 10 years total. I noticed that while testing zero on cpl rifles that both shot exactly the same,3" left of center. Shooting 3 shot groups,groups where good under 1/2" at 100. Could be coincidence or the guy behind scope,I am betting on last one.
My question is does slight decrease in sight (need 1.00 glass' to read) cause a correction factor while sighting thru scope? In other words am I correcting my vision and maybe causing point of aim to be off? Ironic part is I have used both rifles for target shooting this year and while hitting a gallon jug at 400 is no big feat,both rifles did so fairly easily.

It shouldn't and unless you're shooting at more than 400yds if you're missing deer completely that 3" isn't the issue.

If you can't get it back on true bull'seye zero something is wrong with your scopes and or rifles.

There used to be a gong at 400 yards. It was a 15" square with the corners radiused off an inch or so. I had twenty cases to fire form. After hitting the gong off hand every time my wife called me a showoff. I was about fifty. Now that I am seventy-five I doubt I could do it sitting.

But if I can get prone I am like my dad, "I'm as good as I ever was."

'I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I'll ever be"-Me.

As we get older, we need to change with the years. I would recommend that you take each rifle to the range and completely re adjust the Parallax and the ocular eye piece to get the best site picture. Like most older shooters we still know how to shoot, we just need more assistance with the basics.

If your long vision is still good your shooting should still be with good settings on the scope. close end vision should not make that much difference if the ocular focus is set correctly.

Sometimes it is just physical changes and we have to adjust to them. Don't get discouraged, it happens to everyone. A couple of range sessions with lots of effort and you will figure it out.

78 and still on the green side of the lawn.

J E CUSTOM

Quoted because it needs to be repeated.

After cataract surgery the new implants completely changed my focus and apparently the curvature of lens I was looking thru. I wore glasses entire life from 10yrs up, now I was glasses free and had 20/20 vision without them. All my scopes appeared to be canted slightly and the ocular focus was way off.

After setting things back up to my new vision I could see so much better, I was worried about loosing the ability to shoot those tight groups and it seemed age had caught me. Instead I believe I shoot better now than I have for some time, acuity charts at distance are easier to see lines I couldn't before. I'm now working on some of my loads and ladder tuning them tighter. Go figure...Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.