Old guy long range

sailorjim

Local range opened an 800 yard range. You must go to their orientation class and pass a shooting test to prove you can actually hit something at 800 yards. My hunting partner and I went to the class. The instructor wanted to see your rifle setup. He also asked your caliber. Most were 6.5 CMs, one 6.5 PRC and one .308.
Instructor: Jim what caliber you shooting?
Me: 300 Wby mag
Instructor: You mad at my targets? Why a 300 Wby?
Me: It's what I've got.
I leaned over to my friend and said I feel really old. He asked why? Look around, I'm the only one in this room with a wooden stock.
They allow 7 rounds to qualify, I did it in 6.

Attachments

• 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 377
Don't feel like the Lone Stranger, Sir. We exist in greater numbers than some suspect. We just don't claim 10,000 yard 1st round kills with a .22 Short on a Moose with open sights. LOL
With fast-failing body extremities, I find time at a range (or open areas out here in Southern AZ) plinking and chasing that elusive 1 ragged hole 5-round group FAR more practical than actually being able to hunt. Since I cannot walk more than 30 or 40 feet at a time, hunting is no longer in the cards for me unless my leg issues resolve soon.
Old Skool RULES! 😁

Don't feel like the Lone Stranger, Sir. We exist in greater numbers than some suspect. We just don't claim 10,000 yard 1st round kills with a .22 Short on a Moose with open sights. LOL
With fast-failing body extremities, I find time at a range (or open areas out here in Southern AZ) plinking and chasing that elusive 1 ragged hole 5-round group FAR more practical than actually being able to hunt. Since I cannot walk more than 30 or 40 feet at a time, hunting is no longer in the cards for me unless my leg issues resolve soon.
Old Skool RULES! 😁
What's wrong with your 22 short?

My dad would disown me and take away all the beautiful walnut hand checkerd rifles away from me that he built if he could see my new Ag composite stock wirh a proof carbon barrel and axiom action 6.5 Prc but i did rebarrel one of his custom pre 64 win mod 70s in 6.5 Prc so maybe he would pardon me I still like wood

First Congrads sailorjim for taking the step to shoot long range !
I didnt really get after it until I had Open Heart Surgery, then things progressed !
I put together a few 338's for the challenge . My goal was 2 miles on Steel .
I had the drive and a great shooting 338 Edge , rifle . I didnt have to pass a test or anything like that , but was just my pure drive in my new Heart !
I had help from a few buddy's. First was 100 , 500 , 850 , 1000 , 1568 , 1760 then a 2053 yard shot on steel ! Yup we were happy that day !
Ordered a 200 min. adj.base for my goal distance . We set up a target at 3027 yards , Mt. too Mt. almost .
Set up the spotter with a phone scope attached and went after it ! My dope or info was a bit low . But after the 3rd shot on film at the target we seen it move on the 4th round !
One ove my most happiest moments ever!
Sorry so long but all we need to do is take the first step towards your goal !
I think your 300 Weatherby is perfect !
I built mine on the less is more idea . It was not a custom rifle at all .

You injoy that Rifle I'm sure it looks and feels Amazing to you ! In the long run that's all that matters !
Thanks for posting your story !!

Rum Man

yes, walking a bit of an issue(see avatar ). I am a devout shoot /hunt from the jeep or chair or bench at the range type. I think it is way cool Sailor Jim that you qualified for the 1000 yd . range , here in Pennsylvania ,I have to go over one county just to get a 600 yard shot on some ground hogs. There was a thread a few days back on the 300wby in which I let them know I am very happy with mine and will not part with it, still shoot it even after shoulder surgeries.
I enjoy reading what all of you right.
300 wby.jpg

Local range opened an 800 yard range. You must go to their orientation class and pass a shooting test to prove you can actually hit something at 800 yards. My hunting partner and I went to the class. The instructor wanted to see your rifle setup. He also asked your caliber. Most were 6.5 CMs, one 6.5 PRC and one .308.
Instructor: Jim what caliber you shooting?
Me: 300 Wby mag
Instructor: You mad at my targets? Why a 300 Wby?
Me: It's what I've got.
I leaned over to my friend and said I feel really old. He asked why? Look around, I'm the only one in this room with a wooden stock.
They allow 7 rounds to qualify, I did it in 6.
There are not many things in this world that look as nice as a wooden Weatherby stock. I've always wanted 1.

Nice work.

Any accurate rifle and shooter can be effective. Often people think tacticool is for show, often people think old school wood stocks are not effective. Both are very wrong. Be wary of the man who knows how to use his rifle. I have all sorts of configurations of tacticool and traditional, they are all effective. Stepping outside of the boundaries, this is also very effective.

TC204.jpg

Some of my longest "kill shots" were made with wood stocked rifles, others with more modern laminated or synthetics. Back in the day, there were very few, if any, synthetic type stocks on hunting rifles, and even my old varmint guns had wood, glass bedded stocks. My first BR rifle wore a wood stock, but eventually, I went with the then fairly new and hard to find wood laminate.

I still own several of those rifles, and some group better today than back then. Modern bullets have improved since the old days, and maybe I have learned a little more. But, some of our BR and varmint groups from decades ago still hold against modern rifles and loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts