Old guy long range

Hello Bruce ,

I have 2 Brown Precision , Graphite carbon-fiber stocks that weigh 20 ounces each .

The first one I purchased in the late 1970's , direct from Brown Precision , after seeing a small advertisement in the classified ads in the back of a Field and Stream magazine . I mounted it in place of the original wooden stock on my Remington 700 BDL , in 7mm Rem. Magnum , 24" magnum weight barrel with Leupold Vari-X III 2.5x8 scope . total weight is under 8 pounds .

The second Brown Precision I purchased in 1990 , and mounted it on a Weatherby Mark V in .300 Weatherby Magnum , with a 24" #1 contour barrel . Total weight of the rifle with a Leupold Vari-X III , 2.5x8 scope is slightly over 7 pounds .

Both rifles were AccraGlass bedded , and both shoot less than .75 moa .
The recoil is noticeably LESS than the wooden stocks , as the stocks absorb much of the sharp , abrupt , recoil .

In my opinion , these are the best rifle stocks , for hunting , that I have ever used , or seen .

By the way , I am 70 years old , with a mind that still thinks that I should be able to do the same things as young men , but my body responds as though it is 99 .

DMP25-06
Hello DMP25-06, we have quite a lot in common having been around in the late 1960's playing with rifles. When Lee Six and Chet Brown were experimenting with these unheard of fiberglass stocks I was making timber stocks. I did try to order one from them but obviously they were overwhelmed with orders. Their stock was far and away the best fiberglass stock and superior to McMillan or my own at that time. The difference was Brown's were made in two parts with the join at the sides, then injected with an epoxy filler in the action area. McMillan's were made in two parts with the seam running through the center barrel channel and bottom, then filled with phenolic micro balloons. Mine were similar to the Brown's but I hadn't perfected the inner solid section that Brown had. After having worked in an aircraft composite factory and had experience seeing these laminates tested to destruction, I have developed one of the lightest strongest one piece carbon stocks made with unidirectional carbon and epoxy resin. No! they are not beautiful and require finishing. In the looks department they fall well behind a beautiful timber stock, but they take a lot of bashing without changing point of impact. This alone saves on barrel life and wasting time zeroing each time before a hunt. Recently I won a bet by running the back wheel of my Ford over a 18oz stock held up under two house bricks. That stock is still worth a barreled action fit. I have never wanted to become a commercial stock maker, just love working with these space age materials. I often ponder how a state of the art product can be made from two plus square meters of fabric and a can of liquid resin.
Hope I haven't bored you to death or upset any timber guys but thought a little bit of history might be interesting.

Local range opened an 800 yard range. You must go to their orientation class and pass a shooting test to prove you can actually hit something at 800 yards. My hunting partner and I went to the class. The instructor wanted to see your rifle setup. He also asked your caliber. Most were 6.5 CMs, one 6.5 PRC and one .308.
Instructor: Jim what caliber you shooting?
Me: 300 Wby mag
Instructor: You mad at my targets? Why a 300 Wby?
Me: It's what I've got.
I leaned over to my friend and said I feel really old. He asked why? Look around, I'm the only one in this room with a wooden stock.
They allow 7 rounds to qualify, I did it in 6.
Awesome! Love the story. Not sure I could do the same with my woodies, but it sure wood be fun to try.

Around the Houston area there are only a couple of ranges that go past two hundred and you have to be a member or know someone. I am going to start looking for some long range classes/courses for the beginner. I have shot out to 750 but I want to extend that plus I would like to compete in some beginning stuff that isn't so cutthroat. Age and health makes it so I can not run and gun with the twenty and thirty year olds anymore!! Hope you get there this Summer and hit the five shot hole in one!! I have only seen that one time! So all the best!!!:)

Last edited:
Around the Houston area there are only a couple of ranges that go past two hundred and you have to be a member or know someone. I am going to start looking for some long range classes/courses for the beginner. I have shot out to 750 but I want to extend that plus I would like to compete in some beginning stuff that isn't so cutthroat. Age and health makes it so I can not run and gun with the twenty and thirty year olds anymore!! Hope you get there this Summer and hit the five shot hole in one!! I have only seen that one time! So all the best!!!:)
I recommend that you contact Bayou Rifle Club , in Manvel , Texas , west of Alvin , Texas .
They have a 1000 yard range , paper targets - not metal . They run monthly matches of all rifle disciplines , at ranges of 100 , 300 , 600 , and 1000 yards .
Use your hunting rifle and shoot in F-Class competition , no need to spend big money for a dedicated competition rifle .
Members are very friendly and helpful , if you ask them for help .
Shooting in these matches will help you learn to read the wind , and with the long range targets being marked after each shot , you will have immediate confirmation of your hits , or misses . And , it is fun !
However , NO muzzle brakes are allowed .

DMP25-06

^^ Closed and again have to be a member,, but first you have to sign up for the waiting list when that is open but they never say when it is open to get on waiting list? I have shot long distance in classes that I pay for that is the only way around here to shoot distance and finding someone to hold a class is few and far between. I know the basics I need the facility.

There's nothing prettier than a nice piece of wood. With proper bedding they shoot very well. The downside is humidity can cause them to walk if not sealed properly.

So seal them and have beauty and accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts