old guys and shooting

Well, apparently 52 makes us "old guys" so I qualify. Shooting and hunting have been a part of my life since early childhood. In 2017, a month prior to my 50th birthday, I dove head first into competitive rifle shooting because it looked fun and would make me a better shooter in the field during hunting season. I acquired a decent rifle system, practiced some and signed up for a match. The first stage of that first match I realized how much I truly sucked at shooting. It was a two day match and the guys in my squad helped me tremendously! So by the end of the second day, with their help, I had connected on shot engagements that I would have never thought possible prior. Motivated by that experience, I began to practice diligently and seek coaching from the better shooters here in the PNW. Vision is not holding you back. Many shooters need corrective measures for a variety of vision deficiencies. I don't know many folks my age who get by without at least "readers"yet there are a good number of us still competing with the young guns. If you are missing shots at deer in the field you have not missed before it's probably either a shooting system issue, a shooter mechanics issue or combination of both. Checking the things mentioned by JE Custom and other members is the place to start. My guess is most members of this forum are similar to how I was and "practice" consists of a few boxes of ammo to dial in the rifle before the season. Now, to be remotely competitive in the NRL and Rifleman Team matches, I am live firing 50-200 rounds a week and dry firing from various positions 100-200 rounds per day. This isn't to say you need to shoot this much to improve your odds next fall. The point is, you can, anybody can, still train yourself to shoot better than you ever imagined at any age. Sign up for a long range hunting course taught by some of the guys or gals who shoot field matches competitively, practice a couple times a month what you learn and those same shots you missed this year will be executed to perfection next fall.

There is a sticky on adjusting paralax properly on the optics section. I'd bet money your problem is a combination of this and change of gun fit due to hunting clothes. I wear contacts shooting for many reasions. I'm 61

Ok First I figure into the old guys thing now days or so I am told,so no offence meant.

I have missed more shot this year at deer then in past 10 years total. I noticed that while testing zero on cpl rifles that both shot exactly the same,3" left of center. Shooting 3 shot groups,groups where good under 1/2" at 100. Could be coincidence or the guy behind scope,I am betting on last one.
My question is does slight decrease in sight (need 1.00 glass' to read) cause a correction factor while sighting thru scope? In other words am I correcting my vision and maybe causing point of aim to be off? Ironic part is I have used both rifles for target shooting this year and while hitting a gallon jug at 400 is no big feat,both rifles did so fairly easily.

At 76, I am shooting the best of my life. A few years ago, I was shooting 4" groups wondering what happened to my good groups. I talked with a real benchrest shooter and he had me shoot a known gun, a 6PPC. He shot less than 1/4" consistently but I shot a large group. Went back to basics, breath control, trigger squeeze, and dry firing. It is a mental game. Now I am back shooting less than 1" groups as I concentrate before each shot.Shot this years buck at a little over 200yds exactly where I aimed. Just walk away from the big magnums as the recoil is just too much for older persons.

My bench shooting is still fine. It's the offhand that isn't any good due to old man quivers. In fact as I think about it, it's like an excited teenager and his first kiss. Except it never stops.

At 76, I am shooting the best of my life. A few years ago, I was shooting 4" groups wondering what happened to my good groups. I talked with a real benchrest shooter and he had me shoot a known gun, a 6PPC. He shot less than 1/4" consistently but I shot a large group. Went back to basics, breath control, trigger squeeze, and dry firing. It is a mental game. Now I am back shooting less than 1" groups as I concentrate before each shot.Shot this years buck at a little over 200yds exactly where I aimed. Just walk away from the big magnums as the recoil is just too much for older persons.
It's all mind over matter, unless poor condition dictates what your limits are.
Age varies considerably among various people. some I've known were always old, and others never admitted it even when they were. But when your kids start turning 60, it's time to come to grips with reality.

There used to be a gong at 400 yards. It was a 15" square with the corners radiused off an inch or so. I had twenty cases to fire form. After hitting the gong off hand every time my wife called me a showoff. I was about fifty. Now that I am seventy-five I doubt I could do it sitting.

But if I can get prone I am like my dad, "I'm as good as I ever was."
True!! But then there is the problem of getting back up. Age 84.

I'm with Rich Coyle. At 70, After 2 heart attacks, 2 cataract surgeries and 2 neck surgeries I still love to shoot both rifles and shotguns. No glasses when shooting through a scope. Distance corrected lenses for shotgun and sporting Clay's. Forget offhand and iron sights. With a good rest, still deadly with a rifle. Just forget magnums. Got rid of them. Love the (dare I say it) Creedmoor!)

Here is something that is happening to me that nobody has discussed. Has nothing to do with vision! My shooting, specially at animals, was very easy and sometimes very hard(misses or bad shots). Blamed scopes, rifles and such. After life time of beating up my hands, one night I got up and almost could not bend my middle finger. When it did bend, it did so with a loud snap! Ah, trigger finger! Seems my real trigger finger was getting close to the same. Talked to my Ortho, he conformed my thoughts. When its cold, and or after sitting inactive for a long time your hand can swell. The flexor tendon will drag. When a 2.5 pound trigger does not go off with normal pressure you brain will force it! Bad shot!

Now I am back shooting less than 1" groups as I concentrate before each shot.Shot this years buck at a little over 200yds exactly where I aimed. Just walk away from the big magnums as the recoil is just too much for older persons.

I've been hunting with 30-06 for more than 50 years and lately I have been thinking of getting a 7mm-08 or changing recoil pad to a limb saver. Can't seem to make my mind up as it is difficult for me to change to a different caliber.

On another note I notice all the time at the range where I go to that during deer season people spend hours shooting in a seating position. I practice shooting a Remington 513T at 100 and 200 yards in the kneeling and free hand standing without shooting sticks. I've never used shooting sticks for hunting. Its always a kneeling or stantind shot that I take successfully. We should all practice free hand shooting with a rimfire as it will greatly improve your odds of a successful hunt.

OMG, I am not alone! I am 69, had cataract surgery in 2012 and best thing that ever happened to my shooting! Use readers but distance is 20/15 and clear as it a bell! I did noticed I had to reset all my optics since I thought they were leveled but not really due to my cataract skewing the level line and parallax etc. I have never shot better than I am right now. I had the best year of deer hunting of my life killing 3 really nice bucks. Yes, I killed them and no I did not harvest them. They were on the ground and not in trees. All my shots were as perfect as I could have asked for. I do realize one very important aspect of getting old. I have to spend a lot more time at the range to maintain the eye/hand coordination than I use to when younger. More range time is not a bad thing by the way! I found myself practicing more with my Bog sticks than just off the bench. I still love my Sendero 300WM with 200AB and shoot my 51 year old Savage 110 .270Win for grins since I re-barreled it last year. I have severe back issues but walking this past summer 7-9 miles several days a week prepped for elk hunt that was snowed out but still keeping in shape. The older I have gotten the more I realize I have to work at being in shape both with physically and with rifles year round or else everything goes "south" real fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.