Official Hammer bullets Terminal Performance (picture heavy)

I always thought the Hammers gave a bigger than caliber size exit wound. So far mine have always been about a inch to two inches in size. These are on whitetail though. With some closer shots having huge exits. Like fist size.
I think it depends on how tough the hide of the animal is and how fast the bullet is still traveling as it exits. In Africa we see smaller exits than what we see here on North American game.

I think it depends on how tough the hide of the animal is and how fast the bullet is still traveling as it exits. In Africa we see smaller exits than what we see here on North American game.
Makes sense. My shots have all been with the 124 HH out of a 6.5x47. Most have been 50 yds from a tree stand. Muzzle velocity is 2938 FPS.

I recently ordered some hammers to try as they were available. I've read
through whole painful thread. A couple of things strike me. This is A Long Range hunting site but the vast majority of the shots were taken at 50-200 yards. Hmmmmm.
Typical of copper bullets, game usually doesn't die immediately but runs a ways. The other thing is that there seems to be a trend for these hammer bullets to deviate from their impact course of travel; probably an artifact of the petals shedding at different instances.

Looks like a great bullet for California. I'll reserve judgements on comparing it to my standard bullets after i shoot a few critters. I do think many of you would have better results if you had faster twist barrels.

through whole painful thread. A couple of things strike me. This is A Long Range hunting site but the vast majority of the shots were taken at 50-200 yards. Hmmmmm.
Typical of copper bullets, game usually doesn't die immediately but runs a ways. The other thing is that there seems to be a trend for these hammer bullets to deviate from their impact course of travel; probably an artifact of the petals shedding at different instances.

Looks like a great bullet for California. I'll reserve judgements on comparing it to my standard bullets after i shoot a few critters. I do think many of you would have better results if you had faster twist barrels.
I mean no offense but you are way off base

Nothing I've shot with them has been inside 300 yards, everything has ran as expected by my shot placement the same distance I see from the Bergers I also shoot. I do see a departure from other monos in their lethality by a WIDE margin!!

I can't wait to hear about your results.

Not trying to be rude, but you are off target. Hope you'll get some Hammers, develop a load (will be done quickly, they're usually very easy) and try them on game.
If you follow the twist recommendations, Hammers track very true and straight. Internal devastation is exceptional and they usually exit nicely. I shot a ton of deer last year (depredation permit) and ended up with an 80% bang/flop rate for the year. Get your velocity up as high as you safely can and place your shots well. You will be pleased.

Hello friend,

I too think you will be pleased with on-game performance, and look forward to reading about your experience with the bullets, good or bad.

While this forum is indeed Long Range Hunting.com, I believe the subject matter scope has expanded beyond what anyone might consider long range. To wit, the shotgun and crossbow sub forums!

I will share what I appreciate most about Hammers: the confidence that I will have no trouble on game from chip-shot range to my own self determined range of 600 yards. My 7WSM with a 27" barrel cooks right along, and a splash at 90 yards (where I shot my cow elk) would have been problematic with an AMax, ABLR or Berger Hybrid VLD, which I also load and shoot. For my use, I do think that Hammers or other similarly performing copper bullets provide the largest yardage bandwidth of reliable performance. I certainly give up performance at ranges beyond my 600yd limit. If that extended range becomes a necessity, perhaps rolling with two loads will be something I must consider.

Anyways, best regards

Jonathan

I mean no offense but you are way off base
You don't think they're a good bullet for California?

On another note, i went by the shop and found my bullets had arrived. Very prompt shipping for sure!.

My first thought was , " these aren't bullets, they're missiles!".
Hopefully try some this week. Just got figure out some load data.

450 yds 22/6mm 83 HH 50 yds and piled up!

Attachments

• 52562389-A416-44C7-8EBF-95B8A39BA6EA.jpeg
    52562389-A416-44C7-8EBF-95B8A39BA6EA.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 121

Recent Posts