NXS or Razor HD

shooters

I have narrowed my choice down to two scopes. NXS 5.5-25x56 with Velocity reticle and the Razor HD 5-20x50 EBR-2B reticle. I like Nofhtforce for its dependability and I've spent time behind them from some local guys. I don't care for the reticle options available for the NXS though. I've never spent any time behind the Vortex Razor HD, not sure on their zero stop, but like the first focal and their MOA reticle. Not sure how either compare optically or the Vortex optical quality. I know that the razor H D's are quality and I'm sure are built every bit as well as the night force. I'm also looking down the road at resale if I wanted something different. I would imagine the night force would sell quicker in the future then the vortex. I have a chance to get the vortex at about $400 cheaper than the night force. If I did not have that opportunity this would not even be a discussion. Any advice would be appreciated !

I have no experience with any Vortex products but they must be doing something right. There seems to be a lot talk about them.
I absolutely love my NXS (MOAR). Before NF, I was a died in the wool Leupold guy. I hate to think about dialing my Leupolds now without zero stop!
In the end no one can decide for you. You have to follow your head and heart, somewhat. From what I have read about the Vortex and what I know about the NF NXS, I don't think you'll have regrets if you go either way.
Good luck in your decision and happy shooting. JohnnyK.

Maybe the the Razor is better than there other line of products, but I have a Viper and am very disappointed in optical quality. NF on the other hand is exceptional in all aspects. Just my opinion.

Ill have a razor gen1 5-20 ebr1 for sale when I get back from my bear hunt. I used it on my Creedmoor to take overall in this year's sportsman's challange.

Between the two I'd take the NXS. I just had too much trouble with problems out of my vortex scopes. When they are right they are great but when 3 of 5 have to be returned for warranty work it's just more than I can handle. Two of them never would zero or hold zero and the third failed after less than fifty rounds.

They have all been replaced with Leupolds in either the VX6 4-24 or mark IV's.

I really like the Mark IV 6-20x50 as long as up close shots are completely off of the table.

Between the two I'd take the NXS. I just had too much trouble with problems out of my vortex scopes. When they are right they are great but when 3 of 5 have to be returned for warranty work it's just more than I can handle. Two of them never would zero or hold zero and the third failed after less than fifty rounds.

They have all been replaced with Leupolds in either the VX6 4-24 or mark IV's.

I really like the Mark IV 6-20x50 as long as up close shots are completely off of the table.

Which model Votex did you have trouble with?

I've been using a Vortex gen 1 Razor HD for a couple years and have recently been using a Nightforce ATACR.

The Razor has been really good. The tracking is good and it holds zero and returns to zero. The zero-stop is really solid. It sounds like two pieces of steel contacting each other.

I think the image quality on the ATACR is a little better than the gen 1 Razor I have. The ATACR is the newer "enhanced" model. I'm still trying to get use to the second focal plane nature of this scope. I have to remind myself to have the magnification power set on full 25x or at half magnification in order to use the reticle for hold off. The half power mark on the ring is a little off when I did the scaling and tracking test.

Excellent infor and I hate to keep asking, but I've read pretty much all the reviews too..... Are the Burris XTR scopes worth looking at? I had one in my hand today I liked it. Is it lacking "that" far behind the NXS.....? I can get a new one for $700. Can it hold up to a 300 RUM?

Excellent infor and I hate to keep asking, but I've read pretty much all the reviews too..... Are the Burris XTR scopes worth looking at? I had one in my hand today I liked it. Is it lacking "that" far behind the NXS.....? I can get a new one for $700. Can it hold up to a 300 RUM?

I've got a 4-20x I bought a little over a year ago. It has the 8 mil per turn turrets. The tracking seems good on it. The only thing I really don't like is the image quality isn't very good at the high magnification.

I wasn't impressed with any of the XTR's I've looked through and handled.

I really like the IOR tactical and Leupold MarkIV's for optics and durability and the IOR MP-8 reticle is the best I've ever come across.

3-18_10XSmall.jpg

Very user friendly and practical.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.