Vortex Razor AMG or Nightforce NXS

Rflamm250

I am in the market for a new scope and could use some help. I am looking for a 20-25power 30mm tube. 50mm Objective lens. It will be strictly a long range hunting scope 400 to 800 yards average. I do not need a FFP scope but do not object to it either. My main concern is repeatable tracking with a good positive click(no mushy luepy clicks). Need to stay under $2500. Any opinions on the Vortex razor AMG or the Nightforce NXS or if there is anything out there comparable.

These days, the AMG will likely have better glass . On the other hand, it will never compete with the NF as far as tracking and reliability.

AMG over NXS easily. I wouldn't put those 2 in the same tier. The ATACR and AMG is a much more even comparison. And between those two you would just be choosing which one has the features that you want, both are really really great. IMO for a long range hunting gun, the AMG is king in that price range right now. If you find that you want the ATACR and it's a bit out of your price range, don't forget about buying used.

I own and have used both quite a lot. They are both excellent scopes. IMO, the glass on the AMG appears superior and the tracking is easily as good with a very positive turret feel compared to the NSX. To be comparable in capability to the AMG, the NSX will require zero stop and speed turret options moving it closer in price. The AMG is about a half a pound lighter, and has a more concise parallax/focus system then the NSX. The greatest difference is that the AMG is a FFP.

My rifle tore apart the AMG twice. First time Vortex repaired it, the second time they replaced it with a brand new scope. I was fed up with waisting a couple hundred rounds of custom barrel life trying to figure out the problem. So I sold the brand new AMG. I also didn't like the top end magnification for hunting, just too much.

Between these two, I'd choose the AMG. The choice is pretty easy for me after using both extensively over the last couple of years. I don't consider the NXS a valid option at over $2000. The value just isn't there when you compare the NXS to the competition.

My rifle tore apart the AMG twice. First time Vortex repaired it, the second time they replaced it with a brand new scope. I was fed up with waisting a couple hundred rounds of custom barrel life trying to figure out the problem. So I sold the brand new AMG. I also didn't like the top end magnification for hunting, just too much.

I've felt the same pain before, barrel life is a tragedy to waste. Were there any indicators pointing to what happened? My AMGs are holding up fine on two of my biggest LR rifles, so I'd be somewhat surprised if it was recoil related.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your input. I just ordered the AMG from SWFA at 15% off and free shipping. I am going to play with it on a new 22 250AI im doing load development on then move it to my 300 hulk. Thanks again

I've felt the same pain before, barrel life is a tragedy to waste. Were there any indicators pointing to what happened? My AMGs are holding up fine on two of my biggest LR rifles, so I'd be somewhat surprised if it was recoil related.
The first time Vortex said it was something inside the side focus mechanism that broke loose. My scope was from their first AMG production run and they said they knew it might be a problem. The second time they tried to suggest I didn't know what I was doing and that my barrel was worn out... despite carefully tracking the problem and having the same batch of ammo shoot a roughly 4 inch group at 100 yards with the AMG, and then turn around with a brand new VX6HD shoot a 2.6 inch group at 1000 yards. They never claimed anything wrong with the scope the second time but did send me a brand new AMG, which I sold.

My thoughts are the scope couldn't handle the recoil from my braked 9.5 pound 338 ultra mag shooting 300 grain bullets. Definitely a heavy recoiling setup. The problem originated as changing points of impact between groups that slowly transitioned into it shooting all over the place.

I would hope new AMG's are made a little better, and I like to think they kept that scope I sent back as a tool to help them do that.

The VX6HD has held the same point of impact now for two years on this 338. I thought long and hard about the 4-16x50 ATACR, and will go that route if the VX6HD ever goes south.

The first time Vortex said it was something inside the side focus mechanism that broke loose. My scope was from their first AMG production run and they said they knew it might be a problem. The second time they tried to suggest I didn't know what I was doing and that my barrel was worn out... despite carefully tracking the problem and having the same batch of ammo shoot a roughly 4 inch group at 100 yards with the AMG, and then turn around with a brand new VX6HD shoot a 2.6 inch group at 1000 yards. They never claimed anything wrong with the scope the second time but did send me a brand new AMG, which I sold.

My thoughts are the scope couldn't handle the recoil from my braked 9.5 pound 338 ultra mag shooting 300 grain bullets. Definitely a heavy recoiling setup. The problem originated as changing points of impact between groups that slowly transitioned into it shooting all over the place.

I would hope new AMG's are made a little better, and I like to think they kept that scope I sent back as a tool to help them do that.

The VX6HD has held the same point of impact now for two years on this 338. I thought long and hard about the 4-16x50 ATACR, and will go that route if the VX6HD ever goes south.

Thanks for the response. That's tough to deal with. I probably would have done the same thing. Additionally, I am glad to see another positive report about the Leupold.

Timber338,
I wonder if these companies try to rush a new product to market. When the Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 first came out I jumped on one. It was blurry above about 25X. I sent it in for repair. When it came back it was great above 10X but blurry below that. Bushnell had a buy back at that time. I returned it for a full refund, including insurance. I waited a year and purchased the ones I have now. They are probably what the engineer had in mind: Perfect.

brentc,
I don't twist yet so I'm really into the glass. When I bought a Leupold VX-6 I laid it on a sandbag next to a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 and a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 on the porch. I looked through the z5 then the 6500 and then the VX-6. What a shocker to notice the grass between the porch and the pump house 127 yards away was more vibrant in the VX-6. As nice as the other two are, they appeared to produce a little washed out view. Not much, just enough to be obvious.

I think you may have rushed to judgement. First, the 22/250A.I. is a doubtful 800 yard round, but will get it done....sometimes.
I am a NF junkie! For really long range, 1K and up, you need a lot of come ups, in most calibers. A 20 MOA rail is a great way to start. The NSX has 65 MOA of elevation, while the ATACR has a whopping 120 in the 5x25x56! yes, a 34 mm tube, but they are not much more expensive than 30s. The zero stop on both is a blessing for dialing up and returning to your zero. I have bought many used ones on this web site and all have been excellent. Hard to damage a NF ! Their dials are very positive, accurate and glass is excellent and built tank tough!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.