ATACR and Vortex AMG

shooters

Anyone own both? Need some opinions and thoughts. I need one more scope for my PRC. I honestly want to give Vortex a try but have no experience. Maybe I should just do another NF.

I Just picked up my first ATACR. SFP. MOART. 5-25x56.
My thoughts. Reticle is pretty thin. Glass is excellent. Wish it was a FFP now. Tunnels from 5-7 power. HATE that the entire ocular rotates when changing power. A little heavy.

Really would like to pick up an Vortex AMG in the EBR-7B. Lighter weight. FFP. Other features I really like as well.

Now....let's just say they both cost the exact same.... say $2500. Apples to apples. Same reticle options, etc.
The simple fact that the AMG is so light I associate that with being fragile or just not near strong.

Does one seem to outperform the other in design, turrets, GLASS especially, and so on? It's going on a full Carbon and titanium PRC so that's the only reason I'm looking into the AMG is due To the weight.

I own both the AMG(MIL, EBR-7), and two NF F1's in 5x25x56(MIL-R) and recently, a 7x35x56(TREMOR3), all used for PRC. I really like the controls, glass, reticle, and overall design of the AMG, but I don't think the AMG stands up to the rigors of PRC. Mine and two other AMG'users during matches over the past three years have had sticking or fully jammed turret problems during a match resulting in DNF's. While Vortex has excellent service with fast turn around,, the loss of confidence ended the AMG for PRS competition for me. I have not seen a single ATACR failure, and the glass, controls, and turret accuracy of the F1 is top tier. I'm surprised you experience tunneling. I have not noticed it with the F1's(or even my older MOA based ATACR used for hunting). I definitely see it at the lower powers with my S&B PMII. IMO, the NF/F1 in 5x25X56(or 7x35x56)) ATACR-R with a TREMOR3 reticle is a a difficult combo to beat for serious PRS competition. I really like the AMG's EBR-7 reticle, but the TREMOR3 has greater utility(wind dot system) without visually appearing any more cluttered or complicated then the EBR-7, and faster to use once familiarized.

Last edited:
Thanks Greyfox. That's reassuring for the ATACR..., I've still never heard of an issue ever with an NXS or ATACR. SHV I have. I'll prob stick with the NF. Thanks for The lengthy reply and info as well. I guess the AMG seems appealing due to the weight and the price point.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.