Here's my criteria.

Sub 20ounces
Hd glass
Locking turrets
Zero stop
Tracks and returns to zero
Sub $1000
Can be used as a mallet

The answer is…there isn't one. It's all a compromise so why is durability all of a sudden the ONLY thing that matters. I have an idea, how about not dropping your scope and if you do, confirm zero.

The funny thing is due to the rokslide forum all anyone wants to talk about is being able to drop their scope. I've never had a shift due to dropping a scope, but I missed a stud buck last year because I didn't have locking turrets and my elevation spun. Nobody seems to care about anything but being able to drop it.
I agree that locking turrets are very useful. Years ago my wife missed a nice buck when she carried the rifle on her left side and the windage dial on the PST gen1 spun. However, nowadays, I either put a strip of tape around turrets, or use a neoprene cover. Either option is a working work around, and we haven't had spun dials since. I have on the other hand experienced some zero shifts under less-than abusive circumstances. The problem with zero shift, is I have no warning... but at least I have a visual reference if a dial spins. As I've considered a similar dilemma, the closest scope options to come close to your criteria are the
1. Trijicon ten mile (has all the features of the lht, except it's 3 ounces heavier) but Trijicon claims to do drop testing and vortex does not.
2. Swfa 3-9x42, only 19 oz, no locking turrets or side focus,
3. Nx8 (2.5-25 or 4-32) 28oz, so 8-9 oz heavier than lht, but meets all the other criteria and doubles as a spotting scope ;-)

If there are any others out there proven to hold zero... I'd love to hear about it.

ILya elaborated on that guys durability test and basically said he could get any scope to fail using those methods. I wouldn't put stock in just one review.

Having said that we have one and i love it but have had some wandering zero issues. That said the chamber has been screwed up on this gun from the get go. So I'm not really sure if the LHT is at fault here. I'll know more when i get time to shoot it again in the summer.

I'll say there is nothing remotely that comes close to the package it delivers for the money. The glass is very good. Turrets could use some work. Hopefully the durability is there.
The problem is, if you watch all of Form's drop testing videos and read the reviews, other scopes DID hold zero under the same abuse that the LHT was subjected to... with the same rifle, and the same rings.... my problem is that vortex has not addressed that issue.

You can claim that the testing the lht was subjected to was extreme, and beyond what most of us would put our scopes through.... but if some scope models on the market will pass that test, and others dont.. then why can't the makers of the scopes that don't... just make their scopes as robust as the ones that do pass the drop tests? If a scope can pass those drop tests, it sure should hold zero under the conditions I hunt in.

He s
The problem is, if you watch all of Form's drop testing videos and read the reviews, other scopes DID hold zero under the same abuse that the LHT was subjected to... with the same rifle, and the same rings.... my problem is that vortex has not addressed that issue.

You can claim that the testing the lht was subjected to was extreme, and beyond what most of us would put our scopes through.... but if some scope models on the market will pass that test, and others dont.. then why can't the makers of the scopes that don't... just make their scopes as robust as the ones that do pass the drop tests? If a scope can pass those drop tests, it sure should hold zero under the conditions I hunt in.

He also said it lost zero multiple times riding around in a padded case in his truck and being dropped 6" in the snow. I've done worse than both without issues. So it sounds like he got a lemon, even though he sent it back. Or there's something else going on that isn't explainable.

Wow!!!!! Are you on rokslide? If so, please post that. The form leg humpers will crap their pants.
I also emailed vortex about the issue last week, and got a similar response from them. The full email text is posted on rokslide. I was very impressed with vortex and their response time with my initial email, and the first follow up email. However I have not since heard back regarding a few detailed follow-up questions. The main question that they did not address or answer in any of their responses to me; why did their scope fail a drop test that other scopes passed under identical conditions? The vortex rep was quick to diminish the value of Form's drop test because it could have been the rings or rifle at fault... however he did not address my response that Form has gone to lengths to address both of those variables, and other scopes DID hold zero when subjected to the same drop tests, using the same ring mounting methods and rifle to my knowledge.

He s

He also said it lost zero multiple times riding around in a padded case in his truck and being dropped 6" in the snow. I've done worse than both without issues. So it sounds like he got a lemon, even though he sent it back. Or there's something else going on that isn't explainable.
There again is another issue I have with the response I got from vortex... they claim that they tested the very scope he shows in the video, yet found nothing wrong with it? The same scope that lost zero just riding in the truck? That does not inspire confidence in vortex's testing methods... basically that means I can have a scope losing zero, send it to vortex under their amazing warranty... and have them send it back to me with a note that says nothing is wrong with it... I should just check my rings. How many bullets have I wasted over the years chasing similar issues? I would have felt a lot better about the whole situation if vortex had gotten the scope from form, found out it was a factory dud, and sent him a new one to test. Instead they say nothing is wrong with a scope that obviously has something wrong...

Update: I had a long conversation with a rep from Vortex this evening. Main take-away was, this particular rep believes in the vortex products, and I was encouraged by the lengths it sounds like Vortex goes through on a regular basis to stand by their products and keep their customers satisfied. I truly appreciated how open he was to my questions and suggestions. I hope this leads to Vortex developing a testing system that can identify areas for improvement that traditional collimator or other testing may not catch. Specifically, I hope to see real world testing of scopes mounted on rifles, using a variety of ring setups, shot for groups, and then put through various drops and vibrations to mimic the types of impacts and abuse that scopes used by hunters or servicemen are likely to experience. Then, shot for groups again, monitored for zero shifts, and so on.

Whether Vortex initiates the testing or it is done independently, I trust that if there is a company out there who is willing to learn from the data obtained, then at least based on my conversation tonight, the folks at Vortex can be that company.

I have 3 of the 3-15's, two 50s and a 42. All the track as expected. So far no issues. The 42 sits on an 8# 340 Weatherby. Recoil is very stout. I've carried 2 of them up and down the mountains on Kodiak. Rain, snow, falling over in wind...

One scope is new. Hasn't been anywhere but range yet. I have a FFP model on order.

I have had several Vipers give up and at least one Diamondback. The Jap scopes are a whole different animal
I have had a number of Leupolds fail completely. I still own and shoot some...

I did an accidental drop test of sorts on one of my 3-15 LHT's that was on a Barrett 6.5. Somehow mangaged to dent the talley ring while hunting this year. Checked it at 100 and 500 yards and it hadnt moved. I like my LHT's but have been thinking about trying a FFP scope on one of my fieldcrafts. The non locking turretts on the SWFA 3-9 worry me a bit more than the LHT losing zero at present but I might try one if I like these tax day sale SWFA 10x scopes I picked up. I did have to send back two 3-15 LHT's early on for warranty but it wasnt for tracking. One stopped illuminating before I mounted it and the other lost ability to focus. This one was on a Barrett 3006. Tested the replacement extensively (although I dont drop my gear on purpose) and shot a couple deer. No issues yet.

I did an accidental drop test of sorts on one of my 3-15 LHT's that was on a Barrett 6.5. Somehow mangaged to dent the talley ring while hunting this year. Checked it at 100 and 500 yards and it hadnt moved. I like my LHT's but have been thinking about trying a FFP scope on one of my fieldcrafts. The non locking turretts on the SWFA 3-9 worry me a bit more than the LHT losing zero at present but I might try one if I like these tax day sale SWFA 10x scopes I picked up. I did have to send back two 3-15 LHT's early on for warranty but it wasnt for tracking. One stopped illuminating before I mounted it and the other lost ability to focus. This one was on a Barrett 3006. Tested the replacement extensively (although I dont drop my gear on purpose) and shot a couple deer. No issues yet.
Similar. I did an accidental drop test when I handed it to my wife and she didn't hold onto it. Landed right on the scope. Shot a 300" bull 10 minutes later at 575 yard. I had another drop test when it was on the spartan bipod in the back of my truck bed and I decided to pull forward 5 feet to level the truck and it fell over on the bed. No issues. I'm a big big fan but all the negative talk has creeped into my head.

I will say the locking turrets and zero stop are a BIG deal for me.

I own 2 of the same LHT, except for the reticle. I just like the simplicity of this one.

Screenshot_20220426-094505_Chrome.jpg

Similar. I did an accidental drop test when I handed it to my wife and she didn't hold onto it. Landed right on the scope. Shot a 300" bull 10 minutes later at 575 yard. I had another drop test when it was on the spartan bipod in the back of my truck bed and I decided to pull forward 5 feet to level the truck and it fell over on the bed. No issues. I'm a big big fan but all the negative talk has creeped into my head.

I will say the locking turrets and zero stop are a BIG deal for me.
Have you put it on paper to see if the zero shifted? I'm looking at getting an LHT, but the drop test debate is concerning.

Have you put it on paper to see if the zero shifted? I'm looking at getting an LHT, but the drop test debate is concerning.
No. I shot a bull through the heart at 575. I've since shot it extensively and it hasn't shifted in 400 shots, 4 back country hunting trips, a bunch of trips to the range, multiple accidental drops, etc. I'm confident in it.