Vortex Razor HD LHT

I'm a big fan of Vortex so take my words with a grain of salt, but I've owned the following Vortex scopes: three Gen 1 6-24 PST's, a Gen 1 1-4 PST, a 4-16 HSLR FFP, a 6-24 HSLR FFP, a 2.5-10 HS. One of the Gen 1 6-24 PST tipped over onto rocks directly on the scope bell when mounted to a 12lb varmint rifle and held zero, the two other gen 1 6-24 PST's held zero fine throughout a couple trips to WY (packs being dropped, dragged, etc.), the 4-16 HSLR has seen similar abuse and held zero without issue, didn't like the 1-4 PST and swapped it for a 1-4 Accupower (after a brief disaster with Burris), the 2.5-10 HS was too big for my 77/44 and I swapped it for a vintage fixed 4x. The only one I had to send back for repair was the 4-16 HSLR that I bought it used from Cabela's Bargain cave and it had a loose eyepiece, no issues since then. All of these hold zero and return to zero perfectly but I did find the illumination on the Gen 1 PST to have issues with battery contact and would not consider those to have reliable illumination. I HAVE found that not one of these scopes have a true MOA per click; the best being 0.985MOA per click and the worst being 1.036MOA per click. I can see where this could be a deal breaker for some, but I just add the correction factor into my ballistic calculator and compensate for it that way. YMMV

I've owned dozens of Leupold scopes over the last 30 plus years. The only scopes that I ever had to send back for repairs was one that was crushed when a horse flipped over backwards and the other suffered a broken lens from banging around on a Motorcycle.

Currently I have more than 20 Leupolds from VX3, to Mk4, and VX6 and VXL's.

Most of them are at least 7 years old and have gotten a lot of rugged daily use 6-9 months a year.

That's a really good record compared to 5 for 5 Vortex PST's all of which either would not zero at all or would not hold zero and 3 of them made multiple trips back to Vortex for repairs.

5 scopes is a small sample I know but when you get five identical scopes all of which were broken coming out of the box or within the first few months of ownership it's reasonable to believe they have serious Quality Control and/or Design problems.
Not my experience in the least, I even had a vx5 that didnt track. Eventually I replaced it with another and it's been solid so far.
Don't take my word for it though, Leupold tracking and zero retention issues are well documented in all but the mk5 line.
Here's a few light reads, there are hundreds of threads like these all over the internet.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/tracking-issues-with-leupold-vx3-with-cds.6968203/

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/leupold-vx3-hd-without-tracking-issues.209135/page-2

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/leupold-tracking-question.204688/

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...cope-back-for-warranty-issues-lately.6508878/

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/caution-with-leupold-scopes.6886963/

I ran two of them on a scope checker for poi stability and tracking accuracy. They both did very good. Testing scopes without a scope checker is crude at best.
Could you please elaborate on the details of using your scope checker?
There's (in my opinion) a lot of bad info going around right now about drop testing scopes on the Rokslide forum.
Do you believe these drop tests are a good metric for testing a scopes ability to hold zero?
Thanks

Could you please elaborate on the details of using your scope checker?
There's (in my opinion) a lot of bad info going around right now about drop testing scopes on the Rokslide forum.
Do you believe these drop tests are a good metric for testing a scopes ability to hold zero?
Thanks
I don't. But you didn't ask me.
Anytime I drop my rifle/scope, it's an immediate re-zero effort. And usually the scope needs a couple clicks correction, at the minimum. I think they design and test the scopes to endure recoil in both directions. If the scope rifle package incurs a nasty impact, other than rifle recoil induced, better re-check your zero.

That's been my experience over a period of 54 years.

In fact, I can't imagine any rifle/mounted scope manufacturer's test that could account for the various lumps, bumps, and falls, that might occur under the various hunting uses, and conditions. Who can duplicate my tumble on a steep mountain slope, when my rifle free falls onto a rocky mountain face???

Answer = nobody!

A scope checker is a solid one piece mount with two rails machined into it. Two scopes are mounted side by side. One of them is mechanically frozen, the reticle is locked up you can not adjust this scope it doesnt even have turrets anymore. The other scope is the one being tested. The checker is mounted on a rifle for the purpose of recoil only, we are not looking at groups. The frozen scope is aligned to the aim point, we use 1/4" grid paper at 100 yds with a 1/16" dot as the aim point. The frozen scopes are 35-45 power. The other scope is dialed over to the same aim point. If its a low powered scope we also draw a larger aim point but the 1/16 dot is still the center of it. Now you take a shot. Realign the frozen scope the the aim point. If the test scope held its vero it will be aligned to the aim point as well. We can detect a 1/16 moa shift pretty easy. This done on a br rifle that sits in the bags very stead and has a mechanical rest for fine adjustment. Most scope out there will shift on the first shot slightly. You can also use this set up for tracking. aim both scopes at a tape measure at 100 yds and dial you 10 20 or what ever moa you want and read the exact amount it moved.
The golden eagles have tested very well for competition and this LHT 3-15 has tested well for zero holding and dials to better than a click of error to 25 moa.

A scope checker is a solid one piece mount with two rails machined into it. Two scopes are mounted side by side. One of them is mechanically frozen, the reticle is locked up you can not adjust this scope it doesnt even have turrets anymore. The other scope is the one being tested. The checker is mounted on a rifle for the purpose of recoil only, we are not looking at groups. The frozen scope is aligned to the aim point, we use 1/4" grid paper at 100 yds with a 1/16" dot as the aim point. The frozen scopes are 35-45 power. The other scope is dialed over to the same aim point. If its a low powered scope we also draw a larger aim point but the 1/16 dot is still the center of it. Now you take a shot. Realign the frozen scope the the aim point. If the test scope held its vero it will be aligned to the aim point as well. We can detect a 1/16 moa shift pretty easy. This done on a br rifle that sits in the bags very stead and has a mechanical rest for fine adjustment. Most scope out there will shift on the first shot slightly. You can also use this set up for tracking. aim both scopes at a tape measure at 100 yds and dial you 10 20 or what ever moa you want and read the exact amount it moved.
The golden eagles have tested very well for competition and this LHT 3-15 has tested well for zero holding and dials to better than a click of error to 25 moa.
And that is testing impact's how?

I ran two of them on a scope checker for poi stability and tracking accuracy. They both did very good. Testing scopes without a scope checker is crude at best.

Who said it was?
No one. I should have assumed you weren't talking about the same thing as the original post. Just another side conversation to the OP. My bad.

I know you didn't. That's why your test is about like every other test out there that says (insert optic of choice) scope tracks and holds zero. People aren't actually testing them for durability.

So what scope is there that works…

Here's my criteria.

Sub 20ounces
Hd glass
Locking turrets
Zero stop
Tracks and returns to zero
Sub $1000
Can be used as a mallet

The answer is…there isn't one. It's all a compromise so why is durability all of a sudden the ONLY thing that matters. I have an idea, how about not dropping your scope and if you do, confirm zero.

The funny thing is due to the rokslide forum all anyone wants to talk about is being able to drop their scope. I've never had a shift due to dropping a scope, but I missed a stud buck last year because I didn't have locking turrets and my elevation spun. Nobody seems to care about anything but being able to drop it.

I know you didn't. That's why your test is about like every other test out there that says (insert optic of choice) scope tracks and holds zero. People aren't actually testing them for durability.
No it is not. It has a point of reference and you can see tiny point of impact shifts of the reticle. And since only one model of scope has ever passed 100% I would disagree with you. Most scopes fail this test, most scopes move over 1/2 moa just when adjusting the power. Until you do a real test like this you just dont know how bad many scopes really are. This Vortex did better than most, some costing double or more. I have never dropped a rifle on a hunt. But I do shoot them and dial them. If you want it tested for impact, send me your scope I'll mount it and smack it with a hammer and let you know if it moves, but Im not smacking mine.