Vortex Razor HD LHT

Yeah, well, some of us drop our rifles from time to time. Sometimes it's on grass sometimes it's on a rock. I like to know mine will survive it if and when I do. The LHT they tested didn't pass a short padded fall in snow.
Having flown a bit with rifles I'm reminded of the old Samsonite commercials with the gorillas and Orangutans.

All scope manufacturers should be required to do a "flight test" with their higher end scopes to see how well they hold up to the abuse of baggage handlers.

I watched in horror as two of my rifles that were being loaded onto a plane crashed onto the tarmac when the baggage buggy apparently had a hydraulic issue or something just as it got up to the height of the door.

Thank goodness I had good padded cases and both scopes survived none the worse for wear.

I let my brother borrow a rifle for a trip to Idaho 2 years ago and he wasn't as lucky, a 600.00 case was destroyed but again luckily the scope and rifle were ok. We never got a straight answer as to exactly what happened to the case but when he got to Idaho it had about two miles of shrink wrap and duct tape around it and he had to buy a new case to fly back with.

Does anyone have experience the Vortex Razor HD LHT (4-22 x 50, xlr2), looking for likes and dislikes. Considering this one among others to top a rifle.

Thanks in advance!
Does anyone have experience the Vortex Razor HD LHT (4-22 x 50, xlr2), looking for likes and dislikes. Considering this one among others to top a rifle.

Thanks in advance!
I have the Vortex enom 5-25x56 , zero stop and outstanding scope, have 3 and want another. They track great, in fact perfect at long range. It's in mil the center point is just a niny dot. doesn't block you target or what ever your shooting at.

There was a recent tracking and durability test on these over on Rokslide. Completely turned me off of them. Granted, it was a small sample ( 1 scope) but I have had problems with losing zero and tracking with every Vortex I have owned so I chose to stay away.

I know you're looking for firsthand experience and i have none, but you might go take a look at it if you're curious. It will be under the long range hunting forum.
ILya elaborated on that guys durability test and basically said he could get any scope to fail using those methods. I wouldn't put stock in just one review.

Having said that we have one and i love it but have had some wandering zero issues. That said the chamber has been screwed up on this gun from the get go. So I'm not really sure if the LHT is at fault here. I'll know more when i get time to shoot it again in the summer.

I'll say there is nothing remotely that comes close to the package it delivers for the money. The glass is very good. Turrets could use some work. Hopefully the durability is there.

8" in snow on a soft pad as I recall.
I'm not going to try boosting vortex's tracking/durability record, but I have one heck of a time believing that after years of development and testing they would put out a product that's fragile as eggs.
What really gets me is that a bunch of guys are running around smearing the LHT on multiple forums based on one very questionable drop test
That's vortex in a nutshell man. And I'll come off as a supporter here. But the reputation they've gotten as of late is woefully underserved IMO. People act as if their high end stuff breaks left and right and that is just utterly false. Somehow or another after 4 years of chasing glass I've ended up with 4 vortex optics and two NXS in my safe. Having run through kahles, nightforce, leupold, Minox, bushnell etc. it kind of makes me chuckle. Never thought vortex would deliver as much as they have in the high end space.

I had one in my hands yesterday; clicks were crisp, paralax was just right, mag ring was snug (about the same as an NXS). Glass looked good but my vision isn't what it used to be. The elevation clicks were better than my NXS and every time I dialed and dropped the stop cap, the graduation line were lined up.

edit; after looking at Form's eval on Rokslide I may just go with open sights.

Last edited:
I have 3 of the Vortex Venom scopes, in mils with the EBR-7C reticle, very very inpressed with them, zero stop, they hold zero and track increditably , right on every time. I should do a review, but in my opinion the are a GREAT valus for $450. Super glass and have shot them at 400yd. right on the button. Pay the price and you won't be disapointed I'm sure. One great feature is the tiny dot in the center of the optic, doesn't block your target.

I do on my 42. That's the one thing they drives me nuts. I have to unscrew, remove the battery, reset the battery and screw back in only finger tight. Anything more and it won't "click" on.
Could warranty it but I don't want to reset scope level and set zero again for something that I only use when hunting. Love the scope. First one I've ever had that wasn't your basic scope. Able to consistently ring steel out to 800 yards first time out. No basis for comparison but it looked really clear and crisp to me

I own one of the LHT FFP's and really like it so far. I have it on a .308 practice/backup rifle. As of right now, I'm not planning on pulling the LRHS off my main long-range hunting rifle, but if it proves to be reliable in terms of zero retention I may change my mind. I hope that happens, as I really want to like it.

Optically it's great, though it ought to be compared to most of the scopes I have significant experience with. I have run mid-range Minox, Athlon Ares, and LRHS on my own rifles, and shot scopes like VX5's, Swaro, and SHV's for the most part. Never shot a ZCO, tangent, s&b, or ATACR level of optic. The LHT is easily as good or better than any of the scopes I have owned or shot from a brightness and clarity standpoint, at least as far as I can recollect.

Turrets are fine, maybe good. I wouldn't call them great. The locking elevation and zero stop are set up well and easy to use. I like the capped windage. I like the illumination controls. As long as that button stays reliable I don't mind it since it allows for a much slimmer profile not having illumination and parallax adjustment both hanging out the side.

I like the reticle. It gives more than enough useful information, doesn't feel too busy to me.

I don't trust the rifle it's on enough to do real drop testing on it and be sure of what is or isn't contributing to zero shift, so as of right now I don't plan on doing that. I do plan on letting it ride in the truck a bunch and be very critical of noting zero shifts. I also plan on shooting and dialing it a lot. I think koshkin's eval over on snipers hide and the accompanying video was very reflective of my experience with it. I hope Formidilosus's eval on Rokslike does not predict my future with it. Hope is not a plan though, and I want to make sure that it will hold up the way I handle and use it.

Could warranty it but I don't want to reset scope level and set zero again for something that I only use when hunting. Love the scope. First one I've ever had that wasn't your basic scope. Able to consistently ring steel out to 800 yards first time out. No basis for comparison but it looked really clear and crisp to me
Mine are not illuminate, still can see enoutht to shoot,,,lol

Drop tests for optics mounted on rifles have way too many variables to say it's the optic alone. I have two lhts 3-15 and 4.5-22. All of my optics regardless of brand get tested for tracking off the rifle.

If I smell a problem it goes back on the tracking rig to check.

More often then not if it's a zero holding issue after an impact it's a mount, ring, bedding issue. I've smacked my match rifle pretty hard on the barrel with just my hand and I could induce poi shifts before bedding it.

All that to say I've been really happy with the lhts.

Just a quick update for any that are interested… I called and spoke to Vortex regarding the test that was referenced from the "Rock Slide" forum. I was told that the actual scope from that test was received by Vortex and that the scope itself completely tested without loss of proper function. Their belief is that it was a failure in either rings, bases of rifle in some fashion.

Anyway just thought you all might like to know that info..

Just a quick update for any that are interested… I called and spoke to Vortex regarding the test that was referenced from the "Rock Slide" forum. I was told that the actual scope from that test was received by Vortex and that the scope itself completely tested without loss of proper function. Their belief is that it was a failure in either rings, bases of rifle in some fashion.

Interesting... .

Wow!!!!! Are you on rokslide? If so, please post that. The form leg humpers will crap their pants.