Not another 6.5 question.

87predator

Yes I am doing it or am I? To the meat and potatoes. I run a 22-243 for coyotes and love it, however legally can only shoot coyotes with it, so I'm trying to eliminate the number of rifles I use and am wanting to build an "all around" gun. Take that with a grain of salt as I have a 300NM and 338 LM IMP for extreme ranges. What I'm looking for is something that will ethically harvest a deer out to 6-maybe 700 yds on the extreme end, but will punch steel and coyotes at 1000yds all day long. Here is where I throw in the monkey wrench. I want as short of a barrel as possible, say 20-22" so I can put my can on it, and am looking at a #5 or lighter contour so its not too heavy. I also want to stick with something that I can buy headstamped brass for, i.e. Factory rounds in case of emergency. I am leaning towards the 260 AI or the 6.5x47, (unless I have to, i do not want a creedmore). However, with that being said I am open to other suggestions on calibers. I just suggested the 6.5 because of the availability of great bullets.

As always thank you for all of your wisdom and experience.

6.5 x 55 or 260 would be good choices for a rig like you describe. I know the 6.5 x 55 is not the cool kid on the block loading but it will run strong in a short barreled, light rig and factory ammo is out there...more in 260. Also you have head stamped brass...

.260AI has no factory headstamped brass. But is a great choice, and you can still shoot .260 Rem ammo in a pinch.
6.5x47L is a fantastic round, but there are others that are faster to extend ranges.
I am no supporter of the 6.5 CM either. Too mainstream for me.
6.5x55 Swede (or an AI version)
6.5-.284 Win (or Norma) gets you better speed yet
.264WM, but with a short barrel, probably not the best choice.
6.5 SS or 6.5 SST (no factory headstamped brass, but these cartridges are amazing)

What about a fast twist hot 6mm? Run from 55 to 117 grain bullets.
.243 Win
6mm Rem
6x47L
6x47 Swiss Match
6XC
6 Dasher
6 PPC
.243 WSSM

I own a 6.5x47 and like it so far. It doesn't seem to be too picky as far as what it likes to be fed. That said, I wouldn't consider factory ammo to be readily available for it. Although I've not conducted an exhaustive search, I have only ever seen factory ammo for it made by Lapua, and only ever available from retailers online. And at about $2 per round if you find it on sale, it's not cheap to buy the factory stuff so you really should consider it a load your own option. None of my local shops carry factory ammo for it, and that includes some big box stores headquartered in Nebraska and Missouri.

But, I am very happy I have it (but I load my own).

Lapua makes brass for the 260 Rem and if set up right you can fire form 260 Rem in a 260 AI chamber with great accuracy, (Normally less than 1 MOA) and save the fire form step.

It is a great deer cartridge and performs well @ 1000 yards + on target
with high BC bullets.

It also gives up very little velocity with shorter barrels.

Just a recommendation

J E CUSTON

My vote goes to the 6.5x47. As stated it's not the fastest but works very well. Ring steel with mine at 910 yds with ease. Far as property allows me to shoot. For deer size game and a impact velocity of 1800 ft per sec I can shoot 650-700 yds with a 130 Berger. My RBROS shoots them just under 3000 fps with H4350.

Yes I am doing it or am I? To the meat and potatoes. I run a 22-243 for coyotes and love it, however legally can only shoot coyotes with it, so I'm trying to eliminate the number of rifles I use and am wanting to build an "all around" gun. Take that with a grain of salt as I have a 300NM and 338 LM IMP for extreme ranges. What I'm looking for is something that will ethically harvest a deer out to 6-maybe 700 yds on the extreme end, but will punch steel and coyotes at 1000yds all day long. Here is where I throw in the monkey wrench. I want as short of a barrel as possible, say 20-22" so I can put my can on it, and am looking at a #5 or lighter contour so its not too heavy. I also want to stick with something that I can buy headstamped brass for, i.e. Factory rounds in case of emergency. I am leaning towards the 260 AI or the 6.5x47, (unless I have to, i do not want a creedmore). However, with that being said I am open to other suggestions on calibers. I just suggested the 6.5 because of the availability of great bullets.

As always thank you for all of your wisdom and experience.
I'm a "KISS" kind of guy. You can't go wrong with the .260 Rem, 6.5CM, or 6.5x55.

I would not go the route of the 6.5x47 as in order to get close to matching the ballistics of the other two you really have to run it super hot.

The tried and true .264 wm will outperform all of the above considerably even out of the 20-22" barrel with the right powders such as RL19, 23, or 26.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.