Not another 6.5 question.

It has a whole lot of support but earned a reputation as a "barrel burner" which is always a limiting factor.

If you're a high volume shooter in the US and want a 6.5, especially one with a ready supply of factory ammo it's the 6.5CM, 260 Rem, or 6.5x47. Hornady's new 6.5PRC will probably work it's way into the top four as well due to their marketing with Ruger but for now, those three are pretty well "It".

Agreed that the 6.5x284 is known as a barrel burner. The other 6.5s are also known for limited barrel life (for competition even though that's not what OP states he is looking for). The 6.5x284 has a little more punch with the heavier bullets, factory ammo support, and less expensive brass options than say the 6.5x47 and 260. The 6.5x47 and 260 are fine options but suffer from factory support limitations or being expensive. The 6.5PRC looks very interesting as well but is very new. Interestingly enough with a short barrel and good factory support he could go with the good ole 6.5x55 but after so many years its probably not as sexy as other options...

Agreed that the 6.5x284 is known as a barrel burner. The other 6.5s are also known for limited barrel life (for competition even though that's not what OP states he is looking for). The 6.5x284 has a little more punch with the heavier bullets, factory ammo support, and less expensive brass options than say the 6.5x47 and 260. The 6.5x47 and 260 are fine options but suffer from factory support limitations or being expensive. The 6.5PRC looks very interesting as well but is very new. Interestingly enough with a short barrel and good factory support he could go with the good ole 6.5x55 but after so many years its probably not as sexy as other options...
I think you'd have to work awfully hard to ever shoot out the big three I listed. They simply are not overbore cartidges and aren't much if any harder on barrels than the .308 or 06.

I see no problem with cost with either the 6.5cm or .260 components and while you're pretty well limited to Lapua brass for the 6.5x47 all else being equal it will outlast the other manufacturers producing .260 or 6.5CM brass.

The only thing wrong with the 6.5x55 in my book would be the limited ability to find factory ammo for it in a crunch. There's just not a whole lot of it around.

All good choices. I'm a little surprised that there isn't more support for the 6.5x284 as it fills the requirements well

IMO, possible that the 6.5x284 may very well be the standard by which all the 6.5's are judged when it comes to precision long range shooting. Last survey of 6.5's on this site indicated that it was the top 6.5 used for LR Hunting. Properly loaded, it has the perfect balance of accuracy, ballistic performance, and low recoil in a manageable hunting rifle. Its unfortunate that it earned the reputation by the competition crowd as s barrel burner. IMO, most cartridges capable of its ballistic performance and subjected to comparable conditions wouldn't have fared much better, some worse. Performance has its price. I own a few 6.5x284's along with other 6.5' variants that I use for targets and competition. But my favorite pet hunting rifle in 6.5x284 has performed superbly, with dozens of game animals and countless varmints taken from 50-1200 yards. It is still going strong at almost a decade and over 1000 rounds through it. If the barrel goes before I do, I will very happily replace it and continue right where it left off.

Last edited:
IMO, possible that the 6.5x284 may very well be the standard by which all the 6.5's are judged when it comes to precision long range shooting. Last survey of 6.5's on this site indicated that it was the top 6.5 used for LR Hunting. Properly loaded, it has the perfect balance of accuracy, ballistic performance, and low recoil in a manageable hunting rifle. Its unfortunate that it earned the reputation by the competition crowd as s barrel burner. IMO, most cartridges capable of its ballistic performance and subjected to comparable conditions wouldn't have fared much better, some worse. Performance has its price. I own a few 6.5x284's along with other 6.5' variants that I use for targets and competition. But my favorite pet hunting rifle in 6.5x284 has performed superbly, with dozens of game animals and countless varmints taken from 50-1200 yards. It is still going strong at almost a decade and over 1000 rounds through it. If the barrel goes before I do, I will very happily replace it and continue right where it left off.
I'm that away with my STW's, maybe that's why I keep collecting them HA!

I'm that away with my STW's, maybe that's why I keep collecting them HA!

It's a great addiction!
Off topic, but I always admire the Sable in your avatar. They are an incredible animal! I shot one in Botswana about 25 years ago...
201D61C2-DBA0-468C-99E9-68757A831C44.jpeg

It's a great addiction!
Off topic, but I always admire the Sable in your avatar. They are an incredible animal! I shot one in Botswana about 25 years ago...
View attachment 87373
Nice, nice animal. The Nyala and Sable were on the top of my list and I actually passed on a 42" cape buff to make sure I'd be able to do the Sable hunt.

To me, if the Sable isn't the most majestic of all the plains game I don't know what is but the Nyala isn't too far behind.

Those are both nice Sables yall got there!

I always wanted to get me a Sable, Kudu, Gemsbock, Ibex, and an Aoudad. But have never had the chance to go to Africa. Those hunts ain't cheap! :eek:

I know you didn't want one but... Here's my setup.
Tikka CTR Action and stock
18.5" Benchmark sendero fluted
mini mag Muscle break
Melonited Barreled Action
EGW rail
ARC 1" rings
Swarovski Z3 3-10X42 BRH
yodave trigger
Titanium Recoil Lug
fully devcon bedded
6.5CM
Hornady SST 123gr @2880fps
Hornady 143 ELD-X @2770fps

Awesome setup, I can ring steel @ 660yds using just the reticle. Took it out 900 dialing up the turrets. Haven't shot it further because I don't have a place to do it.

IMG_8787_zps6wvuelj7.jpg

g93EU6KTRDKfdUMFAReB5A_zpsu5z2s6ho.jpg

I posted my answer before reading you already made your mind. I also Have a 6.5 GAP 4s and it is nice. I do love it, I just killed a javelina last week @500yds with it. I have no experience with a short barreled one, and my 24" proof barrel is just a little slower than what everybody else posts here and there. I launch the 143 ELD-X @3017fps using 60gr of H1000. Any more powder and I start getting a sticky bolt and awful pressure signs.
9Ew3xCK5Qeorwm0qIkiSw_zpshzo2wo27.jpg

I absolutely love my 6.5x47. 260, 6.5 x55 and 6.5 CM can shoot the same bullett a little faster. All fill the same niche. The overbore 6.5's are cool but seem to offer nothing over a 7mm with similar case capacity. I do not understand why the 7mm's are falling out of favor vs the 6.5's. Lapua has 7 brass offerings for 6.5's and only 2 for 7mm's (7mm-08 and the 7x64). I had to Google the 7x64.

I absolutely love my 6.5x47. 260, 6.5 x55 and 6.5 CM can shoot the same bullett a little faster. All fill the same niche. The overbore 6.5's are cool but seem to offer nothing over a 7mm with similar case capacity. I do not understand why the 7mm's are falling out of favor vs the 6.5's. Lapua has 7 brass offerings for 6.5's and only 2 for 7mm's (7mm-08 and the 7x64). I had to Google the 7x64.
The 7mms have never gotten the respect they deserve. The new 7mm bullets coming out will beat the 30s in every aspect except energy. I see nosler is getting ready to release a 185 7mm rdf. If this is anything like the rest of the rdf line, the bc should be impressive. Maybe even more than the 180 eld. Between the 180 eld, 183 smk, and the soon to come 185 rdf, I'm dead set on building another 7mm rem mag. I'm glad the bullet makers are finally waking up and seeing the potential of the 7mm.

The 7mms have never gotten the respect they deserve. The new 7mm bullets coming out will beat the 30s in every aspect except energy. I see nosler is getting ready to release a 185 7mm rdf. If this is anything like the rest of the rdf line, the bc should be impressive. Maybe even more than the 180 eld. Between the 180 eld, 183 smk, and the soon to come 185 rdf, I'm dead set on building another 7mm rem mag. I'm glad the bullet makers are finally waking up and seeing the potential of the 7mm.

Not sure why Lapua will not offer a few more 7mm's. I would think they would sell more 7 Rem Mag. or 280AI cases than they would 6.5 Grendel. I recently sold a 280AI and will have another 7mm built soon. I am a big fan of the 6.5's and will continue to hunt my 6.5 often. The mid power 7's strike me as a totally different class of rifle. I have killed as many Elk with 6.5's as I have 7mm's (none). I hear that 6.5 performance is fine for long range Elk and Mule Deer. My future Elk hunts will be few and far between. I am more comfortable with a faster and heavier bullet for big critters. Frankly I am more comfortable with a bigger rifle than the 6.5x47 for long range Whitetail. The recoil difference is a non-factor for me in a hunting situation. Why not have a little more gun than needed sometimes? The new thing seems to find the lightest cartridge that can get the job done. Bullet technology improvements have obviously made this pursuit possible. To each is own.... I may be a dinosaur.

Those are both nice Sables yall got there!

I always wanted to get me a Sable, Kudu, Gemsbock, Ibex, and an Aoudad. But have never had the chance to go to Africa. Those hunts ain't cheap! :eek:
Whole Lotta great Aoudad hunting available right here in the US. We've had probably a dozen killed here locally this year.

Anyone with the soul of a hunter really needs to ge to Africa while they still can. It is an experience that will haunt you for the rest of your life and is more addictive than crack.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts