Another dumb question.

May I ask why you need a 100yrd zero?
This is not what I do for guns I will be twirling knobs for.
Just curious.

Cheers.
It is MUCH easier to confirm zero at 100 yards......you can find 100 to shoot yards pretty much anywhere. I leave all of my hunting guns dialed up to 300 yards and leave them there after I confirm zero.

Also, it's fun to run the steel from 100 - 1500 on my range.

To each his own I guess,
Tod

At my age, I love to still learn new things! A couple years ago, I did not understand nor how to "dial" a scope. I shot a prairie dog so far off I was all the down the crosshairs and into the bottom of the rectangular box at the bottom of the vertical "hair" ! Then later on a good friend introduced me to dialing! Wow ! Yep, get a solid 100 yd. zero, set the turret with a bit of wiggle room(if it's zero stop scope) for those occasional close up shots, and dial away! No need to worry where you were zeroed if you have set it. But most apps want a 100 yd. zero and it makes it so much simpler to dial up and come back. You can even do this with scopes without a zero stop. Little more involved, but doable and you will go "duh! Why didn't I think of that!" when you do it.

What is it you do?
I zero my rifles at the MPBR, then I work out my drop from there and print out a drop card and tape it my stock once it is verified by shooting those ranges. My scopes have zero stops and they are set at, say 298yrd, then any twirling is taken off the drop card/ballistic app.
Never had to use a 100yrd zero to get my dope.
Verifying anything at 100yrd is a waste of ammo.

Cheers

Verifying anything at 100yrd is a waste of ammo.

Cheers
Validate that statement.

You drop your gun on a hunt...or other wise smack the scope on something......or, you miss a chip shot and you KNOW your hold, your DOPE and your RANGE was spot on. How do you check zero if you have no place to shoot at , say, 300 yards? Are you saying that you CAN'T check zero at 100 yards? What, exactly are you saying? How about going from your home range at 500 FASL to your yearly elk hunt at 8000 feet...and there is no place to shoot 300? Certainly you must re-zero.

Tod

Do you carry a range finder?
Who zeros their rifle at 100yrds to hunt with?
My zero stop is set at the MPBR of my bullets trajectory, what does zeroing at 100 have anything to do with whether I dropped my rifle? I can verify at 300, this is what my range finder is for.
Does it matter whether it's a tree or a rock too?
You don't need a 100yrd zero for a ballistic program to tell you a solution.

Cheers.

I guess I should clarify.....I ZERO at 100 , and then on all of my hunting guns I dial to 300 yards and leave them there for the hunt.... unless I need to reach out.. That leaves me good out to around 350 yards on my big game guns. I understand that having a LR gun with all of it's capabillitys zerod at 100 is pointless.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.