Not another 6.5 question.

I always wanted to get me a...an Aoudad. But have never had the chance to go to Africa. Those hunts ain't cheap! :eek:

Mud,
I just got back Sunday from an Aoudad hunt. Some of the details are in the "Sheep Hunting" forum. The hunt cost me $180.00, plus the $3.00 entry fee through Texas Parks & Wildlife.

Several states have hunts for them. Mine was a hunt of a life time...

20180106_151239.jpg

Back to your original post. I remember you said you have a can for it. One of the best things for a rifle, in MHO. You also said the barrel length you want should be no more than 22" and not a heavy contour. Plus available factory ammo. To shoot deer size game to long ranges. You have had many good people giving good advise. Here's one more opinion. I used to have a short barreled Rem 600 in 308. Boom and bellow! I listened to a friendly gunsmith and had it re-barreled to 7/08 and a light 22" barrel. Absolutely loved the change! I'm saying that because today I have a 260 in a very accurate AR10, suppressed, 24" barrel but heavy. This cartridge does not need more than 24" and will do well with 22" and maybe 20". I would opt for a longer but lighter barrel. I know the both CM cartridges have been heavily promoted, and for good reasons. They are great rounds. I was already reloading the 260 and the 6x47Lapua so I didn't see the need to go that route; but realize the advantages; both are factory loaded and both are amazing in what all they can do. You should give them serious consideration, but I would lean to the 6.5 CM for what you want it to do.

Woodnut or any others with AR experience----,
In reading all through this thread it started me thinking about the .243 A.I. or .260 A.I. .... Will they cycle through an AR platform well ? At one point i was considering having a Noreen re-barreled in .280 A.I. and was warned against it for cycling problems.

Woodnut or any others with AR experience----,
In reading all through this thread it started me thinking about the .243 A.I. or .260 A.I. .... Will they cycle through an AR platform well ? At one point i was considering having a Noreen re-barreled in .280 A.I. and was warned against it for cycling problems.
Yes, they will cycle. With modern chamber, reamer, and barrel technology, for civilian semi-auto rifles, there is no longer a need for a high-taper cartridge with a low shoulder angle for positive extraction and reliability...IF the rifle and chamber are properly setup. Most of the military cartridges are still this way for positive function and less feeding issues during battle and in extreme conditions, but as civilians our hunting rifles will never see such abuse. Just make sure you keep your dust cover up while walking/stalking, and your chamber clean and your ammo clean, and all should be well.

thanks for the info. I am thinking this might be a good set-up for hunting Yotes over a dog{decoy}. faster fallow up shots and such.

My 260 AR was set up primarily for coyotes and pigs and it's fantastic for such applications.
I am considering getting a Mt. Cur for bobcat huntin' here in Wyoming and a friend wants me to train it to decoy for coyotes. I have never done that before but the video's i have viewed clearly show the nee for very fast fallow ups. With doubles and triples coming back with the decoy dog often. A Browning BLR would be acceptable in this application as well, i think.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.