Not another 6.5 question.

The 7mms have never gotten the respect they deserve. The new 7mm bullets coming out will beat the 30s in every aspect except energy. I see nosler is getting ready to release a 185 7mm rdf. If this is anything like the rest of the rdf line, the bc should be impressive. Maybe even more than the 180 eld. Between the 180 eld, 183 smk, and the soon to come 185 rdf, I'm dead set on building another 7mm rem mag. I'm glad the bullet makers are finally waking up and seeing the potential of the 7mm.
And the next generation of 30's will beat the 7's again.

How is that possible without heavier bullets and heavier recoil? Why not a 338 or 375?
You're always going to get more recoil with heavier bullets, the same holds true with the 6.5's vs the 7's.

Ballistically though all else being equal the larger heavy for caliber bullets are going to have significantly higher BC's than a similar lighter/smaller diameter bullet.

Whole Lotta great Aoudad hunting available right here in the US. We've had probably a dozen killed here locally this year.

Anyone with the soul of a hunter really needs to ge to Africa while they still can. It is an experience that will haunt you for the rest of your life and is more addictive than crack.
From what I've been told, crack might be a cheaper hobby... Plus, I could stand to lose a few pounds. :D:D:D

And the next generation of 30's will beat the 7's again.
That's probably true. Im just having a hard time fathoming any more 30 cal bullets with a higher BC than they already have. I'd think they'd have exhausted just about all the possibilities without going with an even heavier bullet than whats already out there,but I'm sure they'll think of something.

That's probably true. Im just having a hard time fathoming any more 30 cal bullets with a higher BC than they already have. I'd think they'd have exhausted just about all the possibilities without going with an even heavier bullet than whats already out there,but I'm sure they'll think of something.

Innovation is awesome and I always welcome it.

Innovation is awesome and I always welcome it.
O I'm not saying I don't welcome the innovation don't get me wrong, my pea brain is just having a hard time fathoming heavier 30 cal bullets. A 30 cal will join my collection some day...... This is a problem I have, and expensive hobbie with alot of wants but not enough funds to feed it as much as I'd like:confused:

O I'm not saying I don't welcome the innovation don't get me wrong, my pea brain is just having a hard time fathoming heavier 30 cal bullets. A 30 cal will join my collection some day...... This is a problem I have, and expensive hobbie with alot of wants but not enough funds to feed it as much as I'd like:confused:

I did not say you did, I simply commented on how I feel about innovation in general. If the mindset is "if it is not broke, don't fix it", we might not see anything new (stagnation). :D

I haven't completed it or even really started so take this with a grain of salt.

I recently had this same question other than I plan to run a 24 inch barrel. I decided on 6.5x284. I really wanted to be less mainstream than that but as you get more obscure finding brass and such becomes a problem. I did a ton a research and drove my self crazy for weeks and this was my answer.

Not 6.5 but my very close second runner up was .280AI and I will probably have one of them in my safe next year.

I haven't completed it or even really started so take this with a grain of salt.

I recently had this same question other than I plan to run a 24 inch barrel. I decided on 6.5x284. I really wanted to be less mainstream than that but as you get more obscure finding brass and such becomes a problem. I did a ton a research and drove my self crazy for weeks and this was my answer.

Not 6.5 but my very close second runner up was .280AI and I will probably have one of them in my safe next year.

I would not fear too much being considered mainstream with a 6.5-284. You may never meet another hunter in the field that has ever heard of one.

You're always going to get more recoil with heavier bullets, the same holds true with the 6.5's vs the 7's.

Ballistically though all else being equal the larger heavy for caliber bullets are going to have significantly higher BC's than a similar lighter/smaller diameter bullet.

Exactly. At what point is recoil too much in a hunting rifle? A 300 RUM pushing a 230gr bullet may be the cutting edge of long range hunting. It will also kick like a mule. Heavy for caliber 7mm's are manageable out of a hunting weight rifle, without a brake, in cartridges with capacities 7 Rem Mag and under.
I did look into 140 gr VLD bullets launched at 6.5-284 speeds. Ballistics were better than i had remembered. I am hunting whitetail in the morning with my 6.5x47. I am thrilled with this rifle for whitetail.
I am beginning to order parts for a new 280AI build. I briefly considered a 300 Win Mag. This will be my 4th 280AI. I keep thinking about a different cartridge and end up returning to the 280AI. I limit myself to 2 nice hunting rifles. My obsessional rifle buying. behavior is witnessed by my search for the perfect 2 rifles. My last 280AI was a Borden build that was fantastic. I was on the fence about parting with it. I wanted a different stock and a slighlty different configuration. I do not own a boat or a plane. This hobby is the most expensive way to waste money that I can afford.

Last edited:
Exactly. At what point is recoil too much in a hunting rifle? A 300 RUM pushing a 230gr bullet may be the cutting edge of long range hunting. It will also kick like a mule. Heavy for caliber 7mm's are manageable out of a hunting weight rifle, without a brake, in cartridges with capacities 7 Rem Mag and under.
I did look into 140 gr VLD bullets launched at 6.5-284 speeds. Ballistics were better than i had remembered. I am hunting whitetail in the morning with my 6.5x47. I am thrilled with this rifle for whitetail.
I am beginning to order parts for a new 280AI build. I briefly considered a 300 Win Mag. This will be my 4th 280AI. I keep thinking about a different cartridge and end up returning to the 280AI. I limit myself to 2 nice hunting rifles. My obsessional rifle buying. behavior is witnessed by my search for the perfect 2 rifles. My last 280AI was a Borden build that was fantastic. I was on the fence about parting with it. I wanted a different stock and a slighlty different configuration. I do not own a boat or a plane. This hobby is the most expensive way to waste money that I can afford.
My obsessional rifle buying is demonstrated by buying at least two a year and rarely selling any of them HA!

Too much recoil? I have a 7.5lbs Model 70 300 Rum that without a brake would wear on you shooting too many at the range. With the NWP brake on it I can shoot it all day.

My new Model 70 custom .375 Ruger is a handful but even a box of shells a day out of it isn't too bad.

I was shooting the .260 this afternoon though and was reminded that after weeks of shooting nothing but the 375 there are rifles that feel like BB guns in comparison.

I'm not a particularly big guy but I've never felt the recoil from anything I've shot up through .50bmg in the field. At the range, well that's a whole nuther story.

My advice? If you really want to appreciate the .280AI just keep a big boomer or two around and shoot them occasionally as well.

My obsessional rifle buying is demonstrated by buying at least two a year and rarely selling any of them HA!

Too much recoil? I have a 7.5lbs Model 70 300 Rum that without a brake would wear on you shooting too many at the range. With the NWP brake on it I can shoot it all day.

My new Model 70 custom .375 Ruger is a handful but even a box of shells a day out of it isn't too bad.

I was shooting the .260 this afternoon though and was reminded that after weeks of shooting nothing but the 375 there are rifles that feel like BB guns in comparison.

I'm not a particularly big guy but I've never felt the recoil from anything I've shot up through .50bmg in the field. At the range, well that's a whole nuther story.

My advice? If you really want to appreciate the .280AI just keep a big boomer or two around and shoot them occasionally as well.
I know the feeling. It's like the days I go and shoot one of my STW's or .300 Ackley at the range, and also take the .308 Win or .25-06 AI along... After the big boomers, the .308 and 1/4-bores are like pellet guns. :cool:

I dont even notice rifle recoil fired at game. As I have gotten older, repetitive pounding bothers me. Makes my head hurt. I duck hunted for years with 3 1/2" shells. Always came home with a headache Noise at a covered range really bothers me. I now wear ear plugs and muffs. i think good hearing protection has improved my groups. I must have had a slight flinch. I have always thought the 300 RUM was a cool cartridge. I just do not need it. I had a 5lb NULA 260. It was not remotely unpleasant to shoot at the range but it was quite jumpy during recoil. I came to realize that it would require a better shooter than me. I never got it to group much under an inch.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts