Nosler LR Accubonds: BC testing results

I tried the 175gr .284 LRAB in my 7 RUM and couldn't do better than a 2" group at 100yds, doing about 3200 fps with a 26" 1 in 9" twist.
The 180gr Berger hybrid shot 0.5-0.7" with the same conditions.
I know of others with similar results, while others get them (LRAB) to shoot well.
Anyone else have problems with them?

I have had great luck getting the 7mm 168 and 150 to shoot in my 280 Ackley...however the 30 cal 190 and 210 have been a failure for accuracy in my 300 wiin mag..I may try the 190s in my Ultra mag..

I told you to quit tryin' those Texas heart shots!:D

It's hard to give much weight to field reports that fail to specify which bullet, weight, and caliber were used, along with cartridge, range, estimated impact velocity, and a description of the wound channel, including impact location and penetration depth.

Some guys will complain about 16" of penetration, because they take shots at difficult angles. Other will complain about poor penetration with lighter bullets but give the impression that the heavier bullets may also have penetration issues.

It's hard to stop a 210 grain .308 bullet that impacts at a moderate velocity.

It's hard to give much weight to field reports that fail to specify which bullet, weight, and caliber were used, along with cartridge, range, estimated impact velocity, and a description of the wound channel, including impact location and penetration depth.

Some guys will complain about 16" of penetration, because they take shots at difficult angles. Other will complain about poor penetration with lighter bullets but give the impression that the heavier bullets may also have penetration issues.

It's hard to stop a 210 grain .308 bullet that impacts at a moderate velocity.

I was giving Rhian a hard time but I respect his posts and experience. If it was someone else, I might question the validity. If he said that is what happened, that is what happened! I personally have had good luck with the 140 amax in my 6.5 Sherman and the 162 in a 280 Sherman. I have to admit that I have never used the 208 on game because I make my own 30's. I have never shot an elk with the 140 but one whitetail was shot at 400+ yards facing. The bullet penetrated nearly 2 feet and I have the cup and some lead in a drawer. It lost about two thirds its weight and the damage to the vitals of the deer was considerable. The deer dropped in his tracks........Rich

I was giving Rhian a hard time but I respect his posts and experience. ....Rich

Yeah,
The reason I asked bigngreen about his experience with the Amax was because I valued what he would have to say, based on the number of elk he and family / friends have harvested. He's a straight shooter in more ways than simply marksmanship. The 208 Amax could still be a shining star at longer ranges, at slower velocity impacts. Rhian's experiences were described as "normal range", which I interpret as something less than 5-600yds.

The remaining bullets have been tested, and the results updated in the OP as well as here:

LRAB.png

The 7mm 175 grain LRAB was tested in a 1:7" twist, while the 190 and 210 were each tested in 1:8" and 1:10" twist barrels.

The .30 cal 190 grain was stable (SG over 1.5) in the 1:10" twist, and saw no further increase in BC by going to the 1:8".

The SG of the .30 cal 210 grain was just barely below 1.5 (it was 1.48 with the 1:10" twist in my conditions), and saw a 1% increase in BC by increasing spin rate. to 1:8". I think a 1:10" would be good for this bullet in most conditions; as I was shooting it out of a .308 at only ~2400 fps MV.

Thank you to those who helped by providing the bullets for testing.

-Bryan

Thanks Bryan,

Most of the hunters I'm associated with shoot a 1:10 twist 30 cal magnum. Some have not updated their ballistics programs to use G7 and still use G1. Assuming they will not take shots well past 1000 yards their impact velocity will most likely be above 1500 fps. A G1 BC seems to work well in this instance with predicting drops and impact velocities above 1500 fps.

Wouldn't the G1 BC disparity of the 210 ABLR from your testing be 88%.= .646./.730?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.