Nosler LR Accubonds: BC testing results

Until a few days ago I've been to the range briefly twice since early May. Work and family have been crazy and I've got what I concider a once in a lifetime elk hunt in 11 days so I've been to the range 4 times in the last week. It's is obvious that I haven't practiced this year. My form and groups are reflecting that but it's fair albeit I'm not shooting at the level I am use to. With all that in mind, I've been using the 210 ABLR in my 300 win. I was planning on the 215 hybrid but I can't seem to get them to group at distance whereas I am getting good results from the 210s. At 608, 716 and 999 yards I've been getting anywhere from .25 MOA to 1.5 MOA and the one 1.5 MOA group I did shoot was at 999 yards. Most have been .5-.8 MOA.

As far as a BC I have settled on .650 G1 and .329 G7 which is very close to Bryan's values posted at the beginning of this thread. Using these, my come ups match perfectly.

I have dug a few up from some fairly tough soil and rotton rocky soils and the retained bullets look great. They're definately bonded well.

M

Until a few days ago I've been to the range briefly twice since early May. Work and family have been crazy and I've got what I concider a once in a lifetime elk hunt in 11 days so I've been to the range 4 times in the last week. It's is obvious that I haven't practiced this year. My form and groups are reflecting that but it's fair albeit I'm not shooting at the level I am use to. With all that in mind, I've been using the 210 ABLR in my 300 win. I was planning on the 215 hybrid but I can't seem to get them to group at distance whereas I am getting good results from the 210s. At 608, 716 and 999 yards I've been getting anywhere from .25 MOA to 1.5 MOA and the one 1.5 MOA group I did shoot was at 999 yards. Most have been .5-.8 MOA.

As far as a BC I have settled on .650 G1 and .329 G7 which is very close to Bryan's values posted at the beginning of this thread. Using these, my come ups match perfectly.

I have dug a few up from some fairly tough soil and rotton rocky soils and the retained bullets look great. They're definately bonded well.

M

Can't wait to hear how they do on your elk hunt. Where are you going for your once in a lifetime?

Steve

If yer wanting to improve yer chances at a 350 bull, I'd be out doing some incantations late at night in the back yard. Temps have been in the 60 - 70's around here for the last several weeks and nice weather is forecast for at least the next week...

If yer wanting to improve yer chances at a 350 bull, I'd be out doing some incantations late at night in the back yard. Temps have been in the 60 - 70's around here for the last several weeks and nice weather is forecast for at least the next week...

We'll it's already cold dark and gloomy here...whether or not the big hairy horny one steps or not, warm blue and sun would suit me just fine...

So here's a question: Would the 150 grain .277s be a good choice for higher altitude hunting out of a 10 twist? The chart shows marginal stability, but with the thinner air above 7000 feet they should be a little more stable. I've got a new gun coming and I have some LRABs...wondering if it's a waste of time to try them though.

So here's a question: Would the 150 grain .277s be a good choice for higher altitude hunting out of a 10 twist? The chart shows marginal stability, but with the thinner air above 7000 feet they should be a little more stable. I've got a new gun coming and I have some LRABs...wondering if it's a waste of time to try them though.

You should be just fine at 7000'........Rich

M

Any results on your elk hunt? I haven't searched the forum yet, just getting caught up here. I am still looking for more 210 LRAB results..............including a shoulder hit.

Any updates. I seen they just released a 6.5 142g bullet with some impressive bc numbers.

Their published BC for the 142 is very impressive, but I would be extremely surprised if it's even .65 (G1), or close to it. Regardless, it will still be a great bullet. I would like to see what Brian (or anyone else for that matter) comes up with. I would expect something more like .62-.63 for "normal" speeds. It would make a great bullet for something like a 6.5 SAUM or WSM.

I have purchased a few hundred of the Nosler 142 ABLR's in 6.5 MM for potential go-to use in my .260 Rem, and have made significant progress working up loads for the same. I have been using the excellent 140 Berger Hybrid VLD's with good success but am looking to improve bullet-to-bullet BC consistency due to the uniform poly tip of the new Nosler ABLR's over the variable metplat of the Berger's, as well as the more forgiving ogive of the Nosler's for seating issues. Initial load testing has these bullets grouping very well using Norma MRP - same powder I've been using for my Berger 140 Hybrid load. Now it's time to do BC testing and I'd love to get any updates from anyone on this thread as to what you're seeing in real-world results. I have a 1:8 twist barrel which should be plenty fast to stabilize these bullets, and am sending them downrange at roughly 2855 FPS. Thanks in advance for your help here. I'll post what I find when I can hit a range with sufficient yardage to verify BC.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.