Nosler Accubond LR Results

chad

You are right about RL-19 - it is temp sensitive (as are RL-22 and RL-25). They are great powders if temp stability is not an issue in your application but in hunting - not so good. RL-17 and RL-33 comes from Nitrochem in Switzerland and they use a different technology which seems OK in temp stability. I ran a QuickLoad powder survey for the 280 Rem with 160 gr Accubond (assuming a 24 inch barrel). There were 4 powders that appeared to be worth a look:

53.9 gr Ramshot Hunter gave 2845 fps
50.0 gr RL-17 gave 2818 fps
55.6 gr H4831SC gave 2803 fps
52.0 gr H4350 gave 2786 fps

All these loads produced pressurs in QL that was at least 2,000 under the 60,000 psi limit of the 280. The H powders will have the best temp stability. I would try the H4831SC first but the others don't suck. I've found Ramshot Magnum to be very temp stable but I don't know if that holds true for Hunter which gave the top velocities but you could give it a try as well.

im currently using r19 with 140 grain accubonds grouping .44 @ 100 yrds. Shooting 3095 fps.
I hate to give up the speed but its just running to hot. Im only getting 3 loads per piece of nosler brass b4 it splits at the case base.

Been very happy with the 140 grain ab bullet on two bulls and 3 muleys I have killed with it in the 5 years I have owned it.

Seriously thinking about going with the AI version.

Chad if you don't mind me asking how did it turn out with that load on the two bulls? I've never shot an elk but I wanted to do it and use a 280 so I'm curious

Where I hunt elk the shots are close. Both bulls were shot less then 100 yards. My muley I killed last year was 648 yards away. Dialed him in on the turrets and one shot, he took 4 steps and that was all he wrote. Right through the lungs.

Good shooting man. I live on the coast and we don't have long shots except on roads and they don't stand still. I'd love to get some oppurtunities like that

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.