Nosler LR Accubonds: BC testing results

Good to know. Been hunting elk with a .270 Win for 30 years. Love the rifle, it has served me well, but my opportunities seem to be coming at 400 to 800 yards anymore. It's hard to get things done with 150gr Core-Lokts past 350 yards. They lose velocity so fast.

I've been debating reloading the .270 Win with higher BC bullets, or stepping up to a .300 Win Mag passed down from my father. Then picking a bullet for it.

Trying to improve my long range game for next season. Bullet shopping among other things.

I think they would be a hammer at 400-800 yards.........Rich

I think they would be a hammer at 400-800 yards.........Rich

The 208 AMAX is an awesome bullet. When the velocity falls below the expansion threshold, it will tumble, and such a long bullet does a lot of damage moving sideways. This bullet is my pick for long range work. It has a relatively high BC, and also a very consistent BC shot-to-shot.

The 208 AMAX is an awesome bullet. When the velocity falls below the expansion threshold, it will tumble, and such a long bullet does a lot of damage moving sideways. This bullet is my pick for long range work. It has a relatively high BC, and also a very consistent BC shot-to-shot.

Michael, I share the same enthusiasm about 208 regarding good BC and consistency. I use a lot of them. Aside from practice, I've only used it once on game and it was on a large bull moose. Heavy bones were involved and it wasn't pretty. In the end they got the job done but my question is (since even a large bull elk is significantly smaller than a mature arctic bull moose) how do you think they'd hold up on a big bull elk? It sounds like you have a lot of experience with the 208. I've got an elk hunt coming up and I'm still debating on which bullet to use and the 208 is not out of the question at this point.

Thank you,

M

I would agree on the a-max. I was responding to the question on the LRAB......Rich

Michael, I share the same enthusiasm about 208 regarding good BC and consistency. I use a lot of them. Aside from practice, I've only used it once on game and it was on a large bull moose. Heavy bones were involved and it wasn't pretty. In the end they got the job done but my question is (since even a large bull elk is significantly smaller than a mature arctic bull moose) how do you think they'd hold up on a big bull elk? It sounds like you have a lot of experience with the 208. I've got an elk hunt coming up and I'm still debating on which bullet to use and the 208 is not out of the question at this point.

Thank you,

M

I wish I could say that we've shot lots of elk, but the fact is we've only shot this bullet in gelatin over a range of velocities. At the higher velocities, it acts like a ballistic tip, with the plastic tip initiating expansion, lots of fragmentation, and then the base and core penetrating deeply. At the lower velocities, it penetrates about 6" and then tumbles, creating a big temporary cavity at that depth and then penetrating 16" or more. I'm about as confident as possible without actually having seen an elk shot with this bullet. You gotta hit 'em to hurt 'em and if I was elk hunting this year, it would be with this bullet. (We elk hunt Colorado where ranges are usually long and this bullet would be launched from a .300 Win mag at 2900 fps.)

I wish I could say that we've shot lots of elk, but the fact is we've only shot this bullet in gelatin over a range of velocities. At the higher velocities, it acts like a ballistic tip, with the plastic tip initiating expansion, lots of fragmentation, and then the base and core penetrating deeply. At the lower velocities, it penetrates about 6" and then tumbles, creating a big temporary cavity at that depth and then penetrating 16" or more. I'm about as confident as possible without actually having seen an elk shot with this bullet. You gotta hit 'em to hurt 'em and if I was elk hunting this year, it would be with this bullet. (We elk hunt Colorado where ranges are usually long and this bullet would be launched from a .300 Win mag at 2900 fps.)

I have not shot an elk with the a-max but we have killed deer and bear with very good success! This was with 140's in a 6.5 Sherman. I have no doubt that a 208 would be a good elk bullet based on testing in media and my experience with the 140's. The only reason I don't use them is because I make my own in 30 caliber.......Rich

The only reason I don't use them is because I make my own in 30 caliber.......Rich

I've read about the excellent performance of the bullets you make (.308 208gr G7 0.345). Whiskey 3 is manufacturing a bullet similar to your design for retail sales.

Without taking this too far off topic, how does one make a copper jacketed bullet with an aluminum ballistic tip? If there is a write-up somewhere, just point me in the right direction. Curious about what's involved.

I've read about the excellent performance of the bullets you make (.308 208gr G7 0.345). Whiskey 3 is manufacturing a bullet similar to your design for retail sales.

Without taking this too far off topic, how does one make a copper jacketed bullet with an aluminum ballistic tip? If there is a write-up somewhere, just point me in the right direction. Curious about what's involved.

The best advice I can give you is google Corbin Mfg. and read his bullet swaging info.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.