New to long range shooting. 300 prc

68birdra1

I am new to the long range shooting. This last year I was able to save up and am having a custom built 300 prc in the works. I have been collecting components as funds and availability allows. I have 100 rounds of loaded ammo for break in and after that I have little to no experience on how to percision reload. Any advice for a newbie. Thanks

So the build is a stiller preditor action with a carbon 6 24" 1:9 barrel, ag composite alpine hunter stock hs percision dbm and trigger tech special have a 20 moa rail and probably going with a luepold vx5 4-20 scope( still thinking between the leupold and zeiss 6-24.)

I have 1000 215m primers and a lbs of h1000. I have 205 berger hunter hybrids and 200 eldx. I am waiting on some n570. I have reloaded a little with a buddies help. I don't want to have to rely on factory ammo availability. Main use is elk hunting first and foremost. I will be wanting to play at 1000+ yrds but not on animals. I am also keeping it as light as possible as it will be packed. This is my first full custom.

Mainly wondering about the load development process and ladder test and seating depth adj. Is there an order I should do these in?

if you're working with ( what's up with the font?) new brass, measuring your base before and after one fired the after sizing

I went with 20 off the lands for the bergers and 212 eldx, very easy to find accuracy nodes, I worked mine up at 200 so I could see group spread a little better. H1000 was a little too fast burn rate at my low elevation with 212's.

At this point I only have 1 lbs of h1000. I have a lb of n570 on order and I can get more n570 if needed. The h1000 is probably going to be a whole nother ball game as far as availability.

I went with 20 off the lands for the bergers and 212 eldx, very easy to find accuracy nodes, I worked mine up at 200 so I could see group spread a little better. H1000 was a little too fast burn rate at my low elevation with 212's.
I am up in Montana. It's usually around 5-7000 ft where I'm hunting. I will have to see what my gun likes I guess. 👍

I'd measure to lands and see if its chambered for the longer bullets and see where it puts those lighter bullets

H1000 should be great there
That's the hope. The only problem is if it does do good and thats what my gun likes and then I have to try and find more. It isn't impossible but who knows. I was able to get some primers the other day at a reasonable price

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts