New to long range

Fisher86

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start for long range shooting? I have a Kimber 8400 Montana 300 Win, with a VX 3 4.5-14x40mm. I've been shooting 180 grain Accubonds on top of 74.5 gr. RL22, Rem brass, CCI Large rifle Magnum primers with acceptible groups(1.5 MOA consistantly) I would like to tighten my groups up to 1MOA before shooting past 300m. Can anyone tell me where to start?

Scott

Welcome. How much have you varied your powder charge. Did you work up to this load or is this all you have tried. If you worked up this load with this combo, I would try a different powder first, then go from there.

I started at 73.5 grains, worked up to 75.5 (MAX), the difference in recoil from 74.5-75.5 was considerable, without any difference in accuracy so that is where I settled. I was considering going to a VLD style bullet and trying a box of Nosler Custom brass, possibly giving the Federal 250 match grade primers a try.

It's hard to say what might be wrong, I don't know what steps you have taken along the way, but case prep I.E. trimming, deburring flash holes, etc. and finding the best bullet seating depth that you can feed your gun will go a long ways towards accuracy. VLD's make a difference at long ranges, but might not correct any close range problems.

Besides what others have said.
Using the Fed or Winchester primers, please remember to back your load down.
Changing the AOL may also help. When changing a load, only change one thhing at a time so you can know what made a difference.

I have tested my max seating depth for my rifle, and it is quite a bit longer than what I can fit in my magazine, Kimber doesn't give you much leeway for seating depth. The magazine JUST fits the SAAMI max OAL.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.