New to long range shooting

tjndaltx

Hi guys. I'm new here and glad I found this place.

I'm in the process of buying a Savage 338 Lupua 111 Hunter BA and I'm looking for loads that are best for 600 to 1,000 yards.

I have never been a long range shooter before and am somewhat new to reloading so I would appreciate you simplifying your answers if you don't mind.

What loads would you recommend for this rifle? Maybe a suggestion on a load that I can start out with and work up incrementally?

I really appreciate the help.

Thanks.

TJ

TJ - welcome aboard!!!

Where do you plan to shoot that monster?
I'm up in Allen. We shoot at Top Gun, Tac Pro and at our ranch near Buffalo.

338LM is an expensive cartridge to load and shoot. As someone new to LRH, I'd think you'd want to get a lot of practice and enjoy it.

Unless you have a specific need or are getting a super sweet deal, I would seriously recommend that in lieu of or in additional to that rifle, you should consider something more enjoyable/practical in the 6mm-6.5mm-7mm range.

The Savage 111 LRH in 6.5x284 is very capable from 600-1000yds.

-- richard

Richard, I can appreciate what you are saying. But then I get these "ideas" in my head and it's hard to turn them off..............

There's just something about that rifle I like. And my money is burning a hole in my pocket.

Thank you.

In that case, carry on. You will no doubt enjoy it.

But, I have to warn you that the sport is adictive and you'll want to do a lot of shooting.

I predict more rifles in your future.

-- richard

Addictive obsession is more like it ! I started shooting the last 3 yrs on a regular basis for fun and to compete with and I ended up buying and or building a .308 a 6.5x47 and also a 7mmrem mag a 300win mag a .223 and a 30BR and the .338 lapua ...Mann Am I BROKE, but extremely happy. All I can say is you wont regret getting the lapua. I am shooting the 300gr SMK's. I just got the barrel broke in so now I will be loading for accuracy. I loaded some 200gr and 215gr and a couple 300gr , WOW whata wallop shooting the 300gr bullets. I gotta get a nightforce scope to see A little better.As you can see its always something....gun)

Wow, looks like you've jumped in with both feet. That's good though. I like passion.

Would you mind sharing some of your 338 loads with me? I would really appreciate it because I don't know where to start.

Thanks a lot for your replies.

I think my weapon is going to shoot better than my eyes.......lol.

That is a lot of cartridge. Being relatively new to the sport and reloading I would downsize a bit. Just my opinion but I want you to remain interested.

This a 22 page thread about the Rem 700 P in 338 LM. Scattered through the thread are posts about powders, bullets, and brass. An unscientific guess at popularity based on that thread:
powders; H-1000 and Retumbo
brass; Lapua

Bullet type is always a long conversation but some guys are having excellent exterior and terminal ballistic results with VLDs in 250 and 300 grain.

Here's the thread;
Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles - Sniper's Hide Forums

Hope this gives you a starting place.

Jack

That is a lot of cartridge. Being relatively new to the sport and reloading I would downsize a bit. Just my opinion but I want you to remain interested.

I really appreciate the concern. Thank you. I've handled weapons all my life actually. Just getting into a new end of it.

This a 22 page thread about the Rem 700 P in 338 LM. Scattered through the thread are posts about powders, bullets, and brass. An unscientific guess at popularity based on that thread:
powders; H-1000 and Retumbo
brass; Lapua

Bullet type is always a long conversation but some guys are having excellent exterior and terminal ballistic results with VLDs in 250 and 300 grain.

Here's the thread;
Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles - Sniper's Hide Forums

Hope this gives you a starting place.

Jack

Jack, I appreciate it. Have a great day.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts