New sniper record

Our 7.62x51 M24's and M110's are zeroed at 100 and our .50cal M107's are zeroed at 500.

When we qualified with the M110 we had to adjust the turret to 300 and use hold overs/hold offs with the TMR reticle.

Do we know if he was shooting on an incline/decline? What would a 20% angle do to the calculations?
Also, if he was shooting down hill he would get an extra boost in velocity. :rolleyes:

This subject is going on in a sniper forum right now. One guy figure if he was shooting in a 45 degree angle at that distance, it would be in the parameters of the adjustments in his optics putting it more like 1747m. That could be a very plausible answer due to the mountainous region this war is taking place.

Tank

If he was shooting down at a 45 degree angle then what elevation do you estimate he was at?

If he was shooting down at a 45 degree angle then what elevation do you estimate he was at?

With a 45 degree angle both the horizontal and vertical components would be the same. I come up with a 1909 yd component, using 2700 yds line of sight.
That is extremely steep. 45 degrees down slope viewed downward looks much steeper than it is. A 60 degree slope looks almost straight down.

But it is an interesting thought.

Plugging in

MV of 3000
BC of .66
Shooting altitude of 10,000'
Angle of 45

I get...

MOA correction of 89
Impact velocity of 1000 fps, just under speed of sound.

Very interesting...

The information I am giving you that is speculation is by a working and trained sniper. He used the same numbers, but the velocity spec to UK ammo is a Lapua Lock Base BT 250 with a BC of .662 @3071fps. He plugged the numbers and came up with the proper dope for a 45 degree angle shot.

Tank

The information I am giving you that is speculation is by a working and trained sniper. He used the same numbers, but the velocity spec to UK ammo is a Lapua Lock Base BT 250 with a BC of .662 @3071fps. He plugged the numbers and came up with the proper dope for a 45 degree angle shot.

Tank

The altitude and the angle are the speculation part. If the MV was 3071, that puts the bullet right at sonic transition speed with that altitude and angle.

Has any one else Google Earthed Afghanistan, holy cow they have some terrain!! Major elevation changes and angle of shot changes could happen rapidly.

I NEVER CEASE TO BE AMAZED......at the STUPIDITY of the news media!! The shooters name should have NEVER BEEN REVEALED! Not only his name...but the names of his wife and daughter were given out!!

And I do SMELL a bit of BS in the air over this article....to boot!!:rolleyes::cool:

Well there are different stories relating to the same story. I'm wondering if maybe there is some cloud to actual targets and number of targets, but the consistency is 2 dead Taliban. So I would drop the idea of the machine gun, and stick with two dead men.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.