New sniper record

As in most stories the truth lies somewhere in between the toally miraculous shots and the BS Flags thrown.

Well it seems in a subsequent BBC interview With Cpl Harrison it comes out it took nine shots to get zero'd at that distance before the first rd on target.

Harrisons first shot on "target" was a hit. So was the second and third.

Seems to be well documented too in unit After Action reports also with clear locations and distances.

scope was the S&B 5-25 with a 45MOA base.

Also, none of the military sniper courses teach only using a 100m zero, normally somewhere between 500-600 depending and use of hold overs or unders for rapid first shots. Most guys in country are using zeros from 300m to 600m depending on which system they are using, such as the 5.56 SRS or up to the 50 cals. They routinely also zero for a known distance if info is available.

Looks like lot of luck involved but no BS on the hits, regardless of what the desk jockey computer programs say.

Real BS is the doubters. That is understandable too as most have never really heavily trained for shots at those distances other than occasionly shots into a hillside or maybe some steel. Routine and frequent shooting lots of rounds down range for controlled first round hits at is a "skill" which most here do not have (to include me anymore). Shawn is probably one of the very few here who knows what it takes to obtain and maintain that level of skill.

Just to throw it in more disarray, another Brit got 5 kills in 28 seconds at over a mile too so let the "armchair warriors" begin again.:D

Think about this, 40 years ago Carlos Hathcock got a first round hit at 2500 yards with a Browning M2 50 cal machine gun in single shot mode with a Unertl 8x on a homemade base and mount and that is rarely questioned.

BH

Last edited:
Which part of the machine gun was targeted with that third shot in order to render it inoperable? Did he weld the bore shut?

BountyHunter, I guess I am "doubting Thomas" since my BS flag is still in the air waving. You are right in that those of us who don't shoot at very long ranges don't understand the possibility of reasonably expecting, not just gambling to see if that is the lucky shot that will connect, to make hits at a mile and behond. I just think of how little movement it takes, human movement in holding the rifle, or how little change in air currents between shooter and the target it would take at such long range to change the impact of the bullet many feet .... and for him to make 3 consecutive shots, one at a tiny machine gun no less, at that range is beyond comprehension ..... one could be luck maybe ...... but 3 lucky shots in a row. Still can't buy it. IF it happened odds of repeatability of the event would be unbeliveably small.

Which part of the machine gun was targeted with that third shot in order to render it inoperable? Did he weld the bore shut?
I'm sure he simply shot the trigger off. Controlled first round hits is a "skill" which most here do not have. As a result our jealousy clouds our mind as to what's possible with real determination coupled with the right skill set. I hear that the real BS is the doubters. :cool:

As in most stories the truth lies somewhere in between the toally miraculous shots and the BS Flags thrown.

Well it seems in a subsequent BBC interview With Cpl Harrison it comes out it took nine shots to get zero'd at that distance before the first rd on target.

Harrisons first shot on "target" was a hit. So was the second and third.

Seems to be well documented too in unit After Action reports also with clear locations and distances.

scope was the S&B 5-25 with a 45MOA base.

Also, none of the military sniper courses teach only using a 100m zero, normally somewhere between 500-600 depending and use of hold overs or unders for rapid first shots. Most guys in country are using zeros from 300m to 600m depending on which system they are using, such as the 5.56 SRS or up to the 50 cals. They routinely also zero for a known distance if info is available.

Looks like lot of luck involved but no BS on the hits, regardless of what the desk jockey computer programs say.

Real BS is the doubters. That is understandable too as most have never really heavily trained for shots at those distances other than occasionly shots into a hillside or maybe some steel. Routine and frequent shooting lots of rounds down range for controlled first round hits at is a "skill" which most here do not have (to include me anymore). Shawn is probably one of the very few here who knows what it takes to obtain and maintain that level of skill.

Just to throw it in more disarray, another Brit got 5 kills in 28 seconds at over a mile too so let the "armchair warriors" begin again.:D

Think about this, 40 years ago Carlos Hathcock got a first round hit at 2500 yards with a Browning M2 50 cal machine gun in single shot mode with a Unertl 8x on a homemade base and mount and that is rarely questioned.

BH

Has it been confirmed that he used the 338 Lapua? If so was he shooting the 250 grain Scenar or the 300 grainer?

I'm sure he simply shot the trigger off. Controlled tenth round hits is a "skill" which most here do not have. As a result MY jealousy clouds MY mind as to what's possible with real determination coupled with the right skill set. I hear that the real BS is the doubters. :cool:

You may be jealous. Do you really propose to speak as to my state of emotions?

And why reference "first round hits"? Isn't it now officially a tenth-round hit?

You may be jealous. Do you really propose to speak as to my state of emotions?

And why reference "first round hits"? Isn't it now officially a tenth-round hit?
Take it easy - it was all sarcasm poking fun of the long-winded guy's holier-than-thou diatribe a few posts ago. :D

Any thinking person knows that the third shot did not happen as described. To think otherwise is letting emotion trump logic.

So we have three known different stories. All three confirm 2 dead men. One tries to confirm a machine gun hit. One of the stories has a confirmed story with the sniper himself saying it took 9 shots to zero in, and the shot 10 and 11 were confirmed hits.

So as I see it, we have 2 dead guys! As far as the sarcasm of welding the barrel shot off and so forth can be put to rest. It is ridiculous at best and uncalled for. Guys, we need to support our troops (all nations fighting for your rights against the enemy) and that is the bottom line. If they are defending your right to blaspheme there accomplishments on the internet, then by all means keep it to yourself. Right now with the knucklehead in office, moral is not that great. Support those that protect.

2 shots or 11 shots, a company of men were saved by this guys willingness to test his skills and do what ever it took to save and protect his company commander.

Tank

liltank, As I see it there is no way to infer that not believing this is not supporing our troops and believing it is supporting them ...... I see no connection between support of troops and believing or not believing this. I fully support and respect our soilders and their efforts and sacrifices.

I would really like to think that out soilders and equipment are capable of the feat described .... but it stretches my imagination a bit too much to accept it. Sorry. It would be great to have this sort of capability and it is certainly a good goal to work toward. As you notice in my post I do not use sarcasim or reflect negatively upon those who choose to believe it for I could be wrong and hope I am. I have simply stated my views and I approach differing views with the respect they deserve just as you are doing. I take none of this personal ..... just sharing of ideas of and opinions.

So we have three known different stories. All three confirm 2 dead men. One tries to confirm a machine gun hit. One of the stories has a confirmed story with the sniper himself saying it took 9 shots to zero in, and the shot 10 and 11 were confirmed hits.

So as I see it, we have 2 dead guys! As far as the sarcasm of welding the barrel shot off and so forth can be put to rest. It is ridiculous at best and uncalled for. Guys, we need to support our troops (all nations fighting for your rights against the enemy) and that is the bottom line. If they are defending your right to blaspheme there accomplishments on the internet, then by all means keep it to yourself. Right now with the knucklehead in office, moral is not that great. Support those that protect.

2 shots or 11 shots, a company of men were saved by this guys willingness to test his skills and do what ever it took to save and protect his company commander.
Tank

+1 !!

BigBuck

I would really like to think that out soilders and equipment are capable of the feat described .... but it stretches my imagination a bit too much to accept it.

The former Marine scout sniper and trainer Fox And Friends had nothing negative to say about the feat, infact he called it "mighty fine shooting"

Check out the video on Fox And Friends at the link below

YouTube - scarfacethx's Channel

Last edited:
No one here has had anything negative to say about the sniper's shooting either. A tenth round hit is a good hit at that distance. A twentieth round hit is mighty fine shooting at that range also.

Questioning the story is blasphemy? There's some level-headed thinking for ya.

Those trying to mix and blend blind faith belief in this article with inference to the support or non-support of our troops, while at the same time criticizing our President at will, need to pull the blinders off. Interesting how the troops are "off-limits" while 'others' of their choosing are fair game. No one here criticized the snipers or the troops. Someone did criticize the President - no questions asked. Didn't even require any explanation of how our President fails to support the troops more or less than the prior President supported our troops. "Their" guy evidently didn't get elected. Ooops..., the more proper expression would have been "Our" guy evidently didn't get elected.

For them it's not satisfactory to have a differing opinion on a matter. It's only sufficient when others accept their opinion on this matter, or probably any other matter. And if others don't fall in line, then chastise and employ other peer pressure tactics to force others over to their position of greater wisdom.

My opinion, expressed in a society where the freedom of speech is generally respected, is the guys made one heck of a shot no matter how many rounds it took. If only one of the two Taliban had been wounded, he made good shots. This is war. Any shot that connects is a good hit. How does one even confirm at 2700 yds which round or rounds might have connected or possibly richocheted into the enemy?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.