New sniper record

Ring,

Just curious if you were trying to support or disprove the topic of this post with your video?

As a rifle builder, I cringed as you kept throwing shot after shot, after shot at that target. The rifle shot decently well for the first 3 shots although I did not see the second shot impact. After that things started to fly pretty wild, looked to be around 3 moa in total group size and the group really opened up as you kept shooting.

Shooting at a mile is very difficult in good conditions, in the wind or mirage its extremely difficult even with the highest level of performance we have today.

ImportedPhotos00019-1.jpg

This is one of our best groups at 1780 yards. The three top impacts were fired in one string late in the day when mirage settled down because of cloud cover. Earlier in the day, the shooting conditions were actually much better as far as wind but mirage was so bad, I shot at the gong 5 times and only got one hit, the one at the very bottom edge of the plate. There was no adjustment made from the two shooting sessions, just goes to show you how difficult it can be, even with a rifle that is capable of 4" groups at 1 mile, conditions are everything.

To be honest and fair, the rifle above is a 375 Allen Magnum shooting a 350 gr SMK at 3320 fps, a fair bit more potent ballistically then the 300 Win Mag or Lapua.

Add another 1000 yards to this and even this weapon becomes extremely inconsistant.

Again, never saying this did not happen but to get a one shot kill at this range has MUCH more to do with pure luck then anything, even with the best equipment in the world and the best shooters in the world which I am sure this man has and is near the top of both catagories. If he were to tell the story I am sure it would have a much more realistic stance about what really happened.

In the end, he killed some bad guys that were setting up to kill his brothers, that is the best part of the story in my mind.

Again, never saying this did not happen but to get a one shot kill at this range has MUCH more to do with pure luck then anything, even with the best equipment in the world and the best shooters in the world which I am sure this man has and is near the top of both catagories. If he were to tell the story I am sure it would have a much more realistic stance about what really happened.

Your post is a fair assessment of the article as reported to us, and a fair, straightforward application of the word luck. Last time the Canadian sniper's killing shots were discussed on this Forum, any mention of luck was equivalent to blasphemy. Roll up the shirt sleeves and let the brawl begin. Because our snipers are trained professionals - so the story went - luck doesn't enter the mind, or actions of a trained sniper. To infer luck degrades the professionalism of our snipers. As for me, luck goes both ways. I'll take all I can get, when the gett'in is good. Clearly I'm a misfit with respect to sniper school, training, or any career... if my entire career is invested and only bad luck is acknowledged along the way.

As to the third shot disabling the Taliban machine gun, the sniper probably took aim on the trigger and clipped it cleaner than a whistle out onto the scree and tallus-covered mountain side. Either that or he peg-holed the bore, welding it shut, as I posted earlier.

If these articles scare the bejeezes out of the Taliban, then let's print some more. But I rather doubt the Taliban snipers out on the mountainsides accept the story as completely factual, any more than some of us do.

Last edited:
Me likey your rifle. I want one. Just not quite that caliber. ;)

Tank

Oh yeah!. Me too!

That is one nasty weapon. I see that rifle in the hands of an enemy sniper at 2000 yds and I'm outta there. At least until I've got one in my hands also.

We need to get some just like this one into the hands of our premier snipers. Then let'em serve up some whoop-*** on Osama & his gang of devoteds.

+1 w/phorwath-We need to get some just like this one into the hands of our premier snipers.

Luck??? There was no luck involved in this! I believe the correct term would be Divine Intervention...aka: a miracle.

I'm not saying it didn't/couldn't happen (and I hope it did), I'm saying I DON'T BELIEVE there isn't a human on this planet capable of such a feat without a little help from up above.

I do wish we would get rid of these freaking 7.62 long range precision rifles:)rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) and abopt a .338 Lapua, even if it was just a Rem 700 so chambered!

Fiftydriver , not my video... just posted 1 of the longest shots on video i could find for a point of reference....

Luck??? There was no luck involved in this! I believe the correct term would be Divine Intervention...aka: a miracle.

I'm not saying it didn't/couldn't happen (and I hope it did), I'm saying I DON'T BELIEVE there isn't a human on this planet capable of such a feat without a little help from up above.

I do wish we would get rid of these freaking 7.62 long range precision rifles:)rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) and abopt a .338 Lapua, even if it was just a Rem 700 so chambered!

Shot was made with a Lapua. Just a heads up... tomorrow morning at 0620 or 6:20a.m. for you non-military types, an ex-Marine sniper/scout and current sniper trainer is going to be discussing this shot on Fox and Friends. I have been talking with this guy for several years now. He knows what he is doing. I hope to record it so I can see what he says.

Tank

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.