New sniper record

If I remember there was a gentleman on this sight that was trying to hit a piece of plywood from 2400 or 2600 yards. He tried with 300SMK's and found that after 1800+yards they fell unstable. He then changed over to the Hornady 250 BTHP's and found that he was much more consistent and even hit the board once or twice. Again we get into a bullet design controversy verses performance of a supposed superior bullet with more weight. Being able to push the bullet harder and faster created better circumstances. If I also remember the shooter at this target had to have ideal conditions to attempt this shot. When he had the proper conditions he was able to come close to or successfully hit the target. He also used about 145MOA to get there. This required maxing his reticule and elevation adjustments. He also had to utilize the power adjustments to get everything to jive. Soooo... now that, that topic came back to memory, I'm thinking it could be very possible by the comment of, the wind was calm. What is the one thing the Taliban wear that would be a tell tale sign that if there were a wind? They always wear loose turbans, or some type of loose clothing that will show a breeze. Just a thought. This may have been an instance where the ammo was that exact bullet or something close. Something tells me it was a Lapua 250 Scenar. If that is the case, IMHO it is a capable bullet for that type of warfare.

Tank

"What is the one thing that the taliban wear that would be a tell tell sign that if there were a wind? They always wear loose trubans..."

HA HA I've never though of it that way before ! It's like we are fighting the enemy while they are holding up "wind flags " for us . How thoughtful :D

I will have to admit fiftydrivers post really breaks it down at what kind of tremendouse accomplishment was made if it really happened.

BigBuck

For over 50 years.....I've DONE A LOT of shooting at extreme ranges......and I can tell you for certain.....there's a WHOLE LOT OF LUCK involved in hitting targets at these ranges!!

All BS aside......it do take some luck!!:cool:

Reporter: What do you feel when you shoot and kill one of the enemy?

Sniper: Recoil.

Truth be told I could care less if it was a 500 yard shot - as long as the bad guys are taken care of, that's all that matters.

Has any one else Google Earthed Afghanistan, holy cow they have some terrain!! Major elevation changes and angle of shot changes could happen rapidly.

Having done quite a lot of hunting at ranges in excess of 1000 yards in very steep mountains in our Southern Alps hunting Himalayan Tahr, it would be practically impossible to get a 2700 yard 45 degree shot. The steepest angle I've ever managed to find beyond 1000 yards is 30 degrees, and that was one hell of an angle. The further the range, the flatter the angle ends up, that is a fact. To get 45 degrees nearly 3 times further, ain't no topography in any battle field in the world that would get you that angle!:)
Greg

30 degree angle, 1001 yards

IMG_6589.jpg

and the result, a female Himalayan Tahr.

Last edited:
The concensus is that the . 338 Lapua bullet would become unstable during flight as it goes through various speed barriers. Top Shot's data is correct and he was emailing me daily on his test results.

On the other hand who knows what type of ammunition and rifle he was actually using and maybe that is classified. Going to a .338 Snipe Tac for example does extend your range . Roy Weatherby had some bullets going very quickly a lot of years ago for the military.

Last edited:
On the other hand who knows what type of ammunition and rifle he was actually using and maybe that is classified. Going to a .338 Snipe Tac for example does extend your range . Roy Weatherby had some bullets going very quickly a lot of years ago for the military.

I would tell you, but then I would have to kill you!!!gun):D LOL!!! Just kidding!!!!

Tank

If it walks, talks and looks like it duck it is duck. This sounds like real BS. A reasonable undestanding of bullets, rifles, the performance of bullets, a little knowledge of the evironmental factors and their effect on bullets coupled with any degree of common sense would put it in that catagory. I could be wrong but ...... that is my opinion.

Last edited:
I would tell you, but then I would have to kill you!!!gun):D LOL!!! Just kidding!!!!

Tank

Taking out the machine gun is along the lines of the story that crops up at the local gun shops every now and then. "I once shot a deer at ~1 mile. Just aimed at the hairs on the top of the back. DRT!"

Well I suppose anything is possible. Maybe this deer hunter was in a helicopter and the deer was exactly 1-mile directly beneath him... he simply failed to include the details.

And maybe that deer hunter is the author of this article covering the 2700 yd hit that took out the machine gun...

And maybe one of those two Taliban thought his partner had thrown a rock at him, resulting in an argument which ended with each shooting the other - all while the sniper was shooting at them. They'd never hear the incoming 338 Lapua shots from a distance of 2700 yds. Not even a sonic crack at that yardage. And it's always possible one of the Taliban was a poor shot and happened to richochet a round off the machine gun - which killed his partner...

I really really really want to believe, because this is a feel-good story. Maybe Santa Claus IS real...

Last edited:
Shot was made with a Lapua. Just a heads up... tomorrow morning at 0620 or 6:20a.m. for you non-military types, an ex-Marine sniper/scout and current sniper trainer is going to be discussing this shot on Fox and Friends. I have been talking with this guy for several years now. He knows what he is doing. I hope to record it so I can see what he says.

Tank

Tank,

Did you manage to record the story? Is there a link to the airing ?

Having done quite a lot of hunting at ranges in excess of 1000 yards in very steep mountains in our Southern Alps hunting Himalayan Tahr, it would be practically impossible to get a 2700 yard 45 degree shot. The steepest angle I've ever managed to find beyond 1000 yards is 30 degrees, and that was one hell of an angle. The further the range, the flatter the angle ends up, that is a fact. To get 45 degrees nearly 3 times further, ain't no topography in any battle field in the world that would get you that angle!:)
Greg

30 degree angle, 1001 yards

IMG_6589.jpg

and the result, a female Himalayan Tahr.

You guys hunt some steep MTNS . Looks like a non drag zone , just pull the truck to the foot of the hill and toss the Himalayan Tahr over the side :D

What kind of gun /Caliber are you shooting ? And what ballistic program are you running?

Thanks
BigBuck

liltank, thanks for posting the link. I guess along with all the other personal info leaked out by the press now there's the guys picture too. Go figure.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.