New rig ready for first blood?

Thanks wild rose. I've had some nice off the rack rigs but wanted somethig diffrent... in case it was my last! Lol
By the way. I like the tabs in your signatue pic. Mine just syay Tactical and my bdu's are black.
Thanks. Those who know, know.

Super nice rig, and best of all you put it together and made it something special.

Thanks. Those who know, know.

Super nice rig, and best of all you put it together and made it something special.

Amen brother. It's nice to shoot one that isn't issued to ya ever once in a while. I had a chance to get a really nice 308 with a leupold mark 4 issued to me a couple months ago but they were gonna make me give up my spot as first in "the stack". Couldn't see myself sitton back a hundred yards and watching my boys have all the fun! I had been operating in that capacity with a nice Tikka but brass decided to reorganize and make it a more permanent spot instead of on demand. Oh well my replacement is fully capable.

Ha Ha - 'issued'! Unfortunately, w/yer POR/POW *you* gotta pay the Armor!!!

Tabs/berets - used to really mean something - now.....everybodys gettin 'em. Thanks for the service earning yours requires/required - airborne!!!

Nice rig BTW!!! Budget or no - it's saa-weet!!

To the new Dads and soon-to-be's - CONGRATS on the entry to parenthood. Birth is more than the beginning - it's among the greatest gifts in the human experience. Wrestled w/my boy this AM and wouldn't trade it for the sweetest shooting .25MOA rig, and a truck-load of same-lot bullets/primers/cases/powder for it. No way.

Bumped my zero out to 300 yards. Puts me four inches high at 200 and forty inches low at six hundred. If the wind aint bad. The anteloe better beware. Seems like lately evet time I pick my rifle up and get to my shootin spot in the pasture the wind starts gustin. It was between 6and 16 mph today.
Here is a pic of the 300 yard sighter.

Attachments

• bfbcff0f-fbf5-40bb-8363-855d1e8065dd.jpg
    bfbcff0f-fbf5-40bb-8363-855d1e8065dd.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 47

In your first posts I kinda got the idea you were apologetic that your rig wasn't a 'custom'. Count your blessings, new infant included! You have yourself a shooter and some one else didn't build it for you. That's what its all about. Big time.

That group in the wind you mentioned, with a light rifle, says a lot of things about the rifle and the shooter. You'll do good. The po ol' 'lope won't have an idea of what happened.:)

Thanks for your service. I was a Navy nuke way back in the day. Have no idea of what tags and black mean.:rolleyes:

"In your first posts I kinda got the idea you were apologetic that your rig wasn't a 'custom'. Count your blessings, new infant included! You have yourself a shooter and some one else didn't build it for you. That's what its all about. Big time."

+1

Congrats on your rifle and shooting. Thank you all for your service.

Bumped my zero out to 300 yards. Puts me four inches high at 200 and forty inches low at six hundred. If the wind aint bad. The anteloe better beware. Seems like lately evet time I pick my rifle up and get to my shootin spot in the pasture the wind starts gustin. It was between 6and 16 mph today.
Man that's just great. Still holding well under MOA even with the squirrely Texas winds you definitely have a real shooter there.

Yep, the antelope will definitely be in trouble.

Where are you heading for the Pronghorn? Wyoming?

Southeastern Colorado. Friend of the family has a huge ranch.
And thanks guys. I just didn't wanna sound like I was braggin some of these guys with their half moa or under guns and thousand plus yard kills are outa my league.
My best was a bull elk at 548 yards with a stock 338 win mag.

And thanks guys. I just didn't wanna sound like I was braggin some of these guys with their half moa or under guns and thousand plus yard kills are outa my league.

Yup, yur humble!:) A humble Texan. Pretty rare around here.:D

Lookin' forward to a success story.

Hunting big game has a tendency to be a humbling experience to me. Couple years ago I was in my mid twenties and fresh out of some fairly serious tactical training. I got a chance to go mountain lion hunting. Three very long days of constantly trying to keep up with a pack of hound dogs trailing a big old tom cat. We started out at nine thous ft and went up to about 11 thous in knee deep snow and temps from 20 below to 20 above freezing, covering the roughest country that cat could find to evade in. Really taught me something and showed me how in shape I wasn't. By the way he found a cliff like a stair step every twelve feet or so straight up and ditched us in the end.

Lyons great thread !

Thats a sweet looking rig, only thing wrong with it is that it isnt mine, but will be working on one PDQ !

Thank you for your service, great to know 'our descendents' are getting it done.

Lions are fun, there are a few in NE Wa where I am moving to. But will be looking for Muleys and Elk. And jugs to shoot at gun)

Jake
1/10th Cav
4th Inf Div '67-68
ROV

Don't kid yourself. Your gun is already shooting well enough to kill at 1000yds.

Remember at 1000 1MOA is roughly 10.47 inches. That's a radius of 5.23" in any direction from point of aim.

Pick yourself some flat enough ground you can pick out some basketball sized rocks on and start shooting it at long range and you'll find soon that you have what you need in your hands already to get it done.

All you need is a Whiz wheel, drop/wind chart and a little practice.

Like the man who first taught me to make long shots once said, "Till you start taking those shots you'll never learn how to make them".

It really isn't as difficult as make it out to be. If your weapon is capable the rest is just basic marksmanship, knowing your range and having a good drop and wind chart.

I used to always make drop/wind charts on 3x5 cards cut in half, laminate them, and taper or glue them to the stock once I have a load that performs well.

You'd be amazed at how successful you can be with just that. Ballistic calculators and handheld weather meters are nice technological additions but they aren't a requirement.

As you well know of course a good spotter is a blessing as well.

Last edited:
Yeah. I am lucky that my best spotter gets to go with me on this one. I too am in the habit of cartying a range card and a range finder. Just my past cards stopped at six hundred and the lazer I have is really only functional in the field to 750ish unless the lope stands next to something large and reflective. Ha ha
I took a cow elk at 428 yds with a 308. It was barely sufficient in my opinion and was previously my favorite so I limited myself to those types of shots.

I tend to be conservative on my prefered shot distance. I have seen unpredictable things happen in field conditions. A wise man once said to me " everyone has a plan till the first shot is fired" I have a lot of respect for big game and despise tracking after the shot. I went nearly a whole season taking only head shots on coyotes after one made into a creek on me. Finally my brother got to fussing about how hard it was to skin em with their skull shattered. And I don't even like coyotes.
He was talkin yesterday about my little coyote rig and how we could fill both our trucks with the yotes, coons, bobcats and other assorted varmints I've shot with it in the last two seasons with only two misses. Both on attempted yote doubles where the first was smoked and the second was leaving the country in high gear. It made me smile to hear him tell it..good memories

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts