First Blood for the 6br!!!!!

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
After talking with Kirby a little bit about his luck with exotic hunts I decided to give them a whirl. Back in BJ's home town he has a good friend who runs a exotic game farm and he said he would make me a deal on some kinda sheep. So saturday morning BJ, my cousin Ryan, and myself loaded up i the Z71 and headed south.

We arrived in gracemont, ok around 9:00 and met up with Shawn Winchester, the guide. With a last name like that what the hell else was he supposed to do for a living!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We drove around with shawn for a while glassing goats and sheep and trying to get a look at some record breaking axis deer he has but we got a clean look at them, skittish suckers.

Shawn does long range shooting himself so the first thing he asked me was how far I felt comfortable with. I told him that since I was just shooting the 6br I wanted to keep it within 600yds. We made our way up a hill top and found a group of sheep on the far edge of field. We set up the swaro and began examining the sheep. I didnt wanna shoot one of shawns really nice sheep since he was helping us out and a great opportunity presented itself.

We got into position and I tried to build me a little snipers nest. The grass was too tall for me to lay prone like i wanted so i layed out my eberlestock gunslinger and used it to add a few inches of height. I found the herd in the NF and quickly saw what BJ and Shawn were talking about. There was a pretty decent ram in the rear of the herd and he had a horrible limp. This made us all happy cause i could get a shot on a better ram than we orgininally thought and we could solve a problem for Shawn.

We watched the rams for about a half hour and everytime we thought i was gonna get a shot this one ram would head off into the tall grass only to turn around and start his little circuit he was walking again. There was a small gap, maybe 1.5 foot wide, inbetween two cedar trees and the ram eased up to the edge of this opening. Past this the grass got very deep and we figured we may lose the shot. I decided to take the ram when he crossed the opening.

There was very little wind and BJ got me a range of 425yds so i dialed in the shot and figured to hold just to the right for the wind. The rams head appeared in the opening and I waited for him to take another step. He limped forward on last bit and the crosshairs settled high on his shoulder. I squeezed the trigger, and squeezed, and kept squeezin and, what the hell is going on!?!?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif oh yea, i left the safety on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Problem fixed and settle the cross hair back on the shoulder and the CCI BR2 got the party started. I recovered in time to see the ram simply melt into the tall grass. BJ and Ryan remarked at how hard the impact thump was but I never heard it. The other rams took off but quickly stopped, honestly they never figured out what happened.

The ram was standing in between the 2 cedars in the middle of the pic.
StevesExoticHunt001.jpg

Here is a zoomed in view shot through the swaro
StevesExoticHunt003.jpg

Here is a pic of my redneck sniper nest
StevesExoticHunt002.jpg

We drove down to the ram and found him just where he fell, sucker was dead before he hit the ground. The bullet had blown about 4" left of where i aimed and caught him just at the shoulder neck junction taking out the spine and leaving about a 3" exit wound. Teminal preformance from the 105 AMAX was very impressive.

Here is me and Shawn with the Corsican Ram
StevesExoticHunt008.jpg

All in all it was a really fun hunt and a nice chance to take a animal i wont ever get to kill otherwise. The 6br was very impressive and more than enough to take whitetail sized game out to 500yds or so. The corsican was a really slick lookin animal with nice markings and colors. This was my first experince with any kind sheep and they are interesting animals but i really hope they dont all smell as bad as this guy did, **** did he stink!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If your ever through central OK and wanna go on a exotic hunt check out Headhunters guide service out of Gracemont, OK. Lots of fun and interesting animals for sure.

Thanks to BJ, Ryan, and Shawn for the fun hunt and memomories.

Take it easy
steve

Lerch,

Nice shooting, nice ram as well.

Say, can you get me some information on that ranch. I want a big Axis buck BAD!! If you can get me some information I may be headed your way!!!

Again, congrats.

Kirby Allen(50)

Lerch,
Well done, good shooting, nice photos, thanks for sharing though I almost got a hart attack with the <font color="blue">"I squeezed the trigger, and squeezed, and kept squeezin and"... </font> well I think it flavored up the writting very nicely. Congratualtions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bill
We tried to shoot some crows off an elk gut pile at 1 mile.
the elk was killed the day before just before dark, I thought I'll go look over the gut pile from a distant ridge (close to the cabin)the next morning.
there were two yotes on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. No way to range that far, but ranged some rocks at 1100 with the leica and estimated the rest!
sent one down range and the dogs took off. (unscathed)
10 minutes and the magpies and crows were on it.
made some adjustments and sent a few down range walking them in! missed a few by inches!!
Those crows are smart!! couple shots close and they were gone!
the magpies came back but not the crows.
Never got one but it was a great morning sittin on that cliff with the old man, wastin lead!
He was on the spoting scope calling the shots and I think he was having more fun than I was if thats possible!
CAM

Steve ,

great !! that wa s bag full of fun but I cant see your pix of the animal and you , don t know why all other pix are ok . Send me on e email if you get tiome or just bring some to the Alex shoot .

You going to mount it ? Probably be a good looking mount . Congrats Steve , wish we could all afford to go somewhere 12 months out of the year !

Jim B

Lerch, awesome pictures, great story, and good shooting!!!

Lerch, I am thinking about using the 105grn A-Max in my new 6x284 project. I am looking at using the Lupua 105grn Scenar too. However, I am thinking the shots from 100 to 500 yards on varmints, the A-max will be a better bullet for splat factor. Shots from 600 to 1000 yards, I will switch over to the 105grn Scenar because it has the higher BC, and I've read that it's BC is actually better than advertised.

I know the 105grn A-max can only be pushed to around 3200fps, or can it be pushed a bit faster. What is your take on using the 105grn A-Max out to 1000 yards. I would like to hear your opinion.

Wildcat

Lerch,

Loved the story and really enjoyed the pics thats a nice ram. Your story really hits home for me due to the fact that here in Hawaii all our game species are exotics. I had to laugh when you said how bad he stunk brought back memories/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby I know how you feel buddy I love to hunt Axis they are my favorite to hunt. To me there's few animals that can match a huge axis buck in beauty. Goodluck in getting your buck!

Thanks Again for sharing and good shooting!

Aloha, Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.